Periodic Contributor

Delta Dental Poor Customer Service

I had a bad experience with Delta Dental and believe it's important to share, because it regards their customer service.

I originally had the HMO version of the AARP plan, but had a bad experience with one of the dentists. I was paying on a monthly basis and after the first year, I called Delta and explained to the customer service rep that I wanted to cancel my current plan and enroll in the PPO plan. I chose at that time to pay the premium for the entire year.

Months later, I discovered that Delta Dental was still withdrawing the monthly payment from my checking account for the HMO plan! I called them immediately and spoke with a rep who advised me that my HMO plan had never been cancelled. She cancelled it immediately and also advised me to file a complaint and request a refund for the funds Delta had continued withdrawing. I called later in the day to ask another question and spoke to a different rep, who also advised me to write them a letter requesting a refund for the amount they had continued withdrawing from my checking account. 

I received a letter back saying that my HMO plan had been cancelled (on the more recent date when I had called) and that the charges they withdrew were from when the plan was still in effect. Then I tried to submit a grievance, but their form really only allows for grievances about a dentist. I filled the form the best I could and submitted it, and months later received the response basically repeating what was in their letter--that my plan had been cancelled on the later date (of course, I had no proof that I had called months earlier and requested that it be cancelled) and that they would stop withdrawing funds from my checking account. They refused to even consider that they have made an error and overcharged me. I'm disgusted with them and would drop them immediately if they didn't provide good coverage.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi there, here to help! We certainly understand your concern regarding AARP Dental Insurance provided by Delta Dental and apologize for your experience. We would be glad to work with the Escalation team at Delta Dental to have this investigated for you. If you are still having difficulties with Delta Dental, please either give us a call at 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277) to request an Escalation or send me a private message in the AARP Online Community by clicking this link and entering my username, “AARPThelmaG” into the “Send to” box https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage. Please provide the following details in your message:

• Full name
  • AARP Membership # (or home address)
  • Phone # and email address to contact you
  • Description of your issue

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Honored Social Butterfly

@SusanneWarren wrote

I originally had the HMO version of the AARP plan, but had a bad experience with one of the dentists. I was paying on a monthly basis and after the first year, I called Delta and explained to the customer service rep that I wanted to cancel my current plan and enroll in the PPO plan. I chose at that time to pay the premium for the entire year.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Seems your verbal messages aren't getting thru to them or their "bot" workers.

What I would do - is WRITE to the HMO address; mark a copy to the Corporate office 

Give dates, who you spoke to, if possible, list all the charges that have shown up in your bank account for the HMO plan that you verbally cancelled.   Send them also your PPO info like account #, the date you started it (the date your HMO s/h/b cancelled) and proof that you paid it in advance for a year.  If you want this refund, you are gonna have to fight for it - and the 1st step is to get your complaint to the right person to handle it and at this stage that isn't gonna be a CS rep over the phone.  There may be a process in your HMO contract that talks about how to do cancellations specifically.

We all control our own bank accounts - you could have stopped the auto deduct of the HMO plan at your bank when you cancelled it.  People should continue to balance their checking accounts monthly, that way they keep themselves up-to-date on such auto deducts and can action immediately if they wish to stop an auto deduct for some reason.

Consumer Finance Protection Bureau.gov - 08/25/2020 - How do I stop automatic payments from my bank ...

from the link ~ (there is more at the link as to the exact procedure)

Federal law provides certain protections for recurring automatic debit payments. You have the right to stop a company from taking automatic payments from your account, even if you previously allowed them. For example, you may decide to cancel your membership or service with the company, or you might decide to pay a different way.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Games Fall Cash Sweepstakes is here! $15,000 in cash prizes! Enter now for a chance to win the $1,000 and $2,000 prizes.

AARP Games Fall Cash Sweepstakes Enter Now

More From AARP