Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Challenge Your Brain

Message 11 of 12

Several years ago, I was involved in a car accident that resulted in a traumatic brain injury. I was on my way home from the university where I’d just started a Master’s program. Doctors told me I was looking at a 10-year recovery. Fifteen months later, I still had no short term recall. Lacking patience, I took it upon myself to research my disability. This was a challenge because I was unable to comprehend or retain much of what I read so I took copious notes. Clearly, there is value in playing brain games, eating brain foods (Omega 3), trying new things, physical exercise, etc. 

In my research, I discovered a simple way to spur brain cell growth: Use all five senses at one time. For example: While reading (eyes) and holding a book in your hands (touch), listen to soothing music (sound), burn an aromatic candle (smell) and pop a mint into your mouth (taste). This not only helps memory, but creativity and much more. This I continue to do.

About three years into my recovery, I returned to school against doctor's advise. It took a bit longer to earn my degree, but I graduated with a 4.0.  I gave myself an A+ for perseverance.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views
Replies

Challenge Your Brain

Message 12 of 12

What do you do to challenge your brain? Please share your tips here with others.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season