Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Concierge

Challenge Your Brain

What do you do to challenge your brain? Please share your tips here with others.

Super Contributor

I throw stuff at things. Usually bean bags are empty cans set across the room but also outside. This came about from studying the essays in "The Throwing Madonna" which explains how one of the things that make humans special is both our brain and body are designed to throw stuff at things. The eye-hand coordination, parabola predictions, adjusting for wind effects, etc all really force the brain to study, analyze, and adapt.

-Dr. Mark Merriwether Vorderbruggen

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
Trusted Social Butterfly

I solved a 3x3x3 Rubik's cube by following the instructions.  Here are the instructions:

RubiksCubeInst.jpg

Bronze Conversationalist

Better you than me at trying to read those instructions.  That's worse than trying to put a bookcase together...and that's saying a lot!  😀

Trusted Social Butterfly

I recently bought 2x2 and 3x3 Rubik's cubes and a Rubik's tetrahedron. The first challenge was understanding the instructions.  So, now, I can solve the 2x2 cube by reading the instructions in about 3 minutes.  Next I will tackle the 3x3 cube.

Conversationalist

Here are a couple things I do:

On my iPad mini, I do crosswords before sleep with the Puzzazz app (similar to Across Lite, but more features in free version). There are tons of free crosswords for Across Lite and they all should work in Puzzazz as well.

Recently, I was checking out some free online course providers, and came across the Kahn Academy. As a goal, I decided to do every single course they have avaliable, from the most basic up to whatever level they have as highest. I like Math and Physics, and look forward to a basic refresher, then to dig into the higher stuff again, perhaps on Stanford or similar online site. Maybe I can be an astrophysicist when I grow up 😆 🚀💫

Conversationalist

I play lumosity - the brain challenger games- the free one of course and it's loads of fun.  Your brain will be moved in different ways.  I also do games on Facebook with people from around the world.  One I really enjoy is Texas Holdem Poker.  Another mind bender is Pyramid Solitaire!  I play with 70 people. The good thing is you don't have to play friends, you can play with anybody.  Want a fun game and so cute, with adorable music? - check out Panda Pop, my granddaughter introduced me to this game and it's another favorite!

want to battle MONSTERS?  Yes, big ugly monsters- yes, they are tricky- but you have help, weapons- Monster Busters-!

This game is a real mind Bender in soooooooo  many ways,a real challenge- Lost Jewels-

I also like Pet rescue Saga, it's a cute game trying to rescue pets, dogs, cats, etc.

Dont like Facebook- well just play games like I do- you don't have to socialize- just Retrain Your Brain and Have Fun doing it!!!!

oh, one last game you can play with your grandchildren, Truth or Dare,  you can do it however you like and We All Love it! Improvise!! It's an App.

Periodic Contributor

That’s very nice that you play game with your granddaughters and keep up with the internet. I watch videos on YouTube, there’s a lot of educational content for free and I love watching videos about math. I also love spending time watching different challenges. Recently I started watching this girl, Rebecca Zamolo, and her 24-hour challenges on YouTube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzcAgxXiqO8 . It is great fun and really entertaining. I tend to watch her videos when I want to relax for a bit after a long day. Give her a try, maybe you’ll also be captivated by her series.

Regular Contributor

Word search puzzles are helpful there are books of them you can pick up 

Contributor

I'm 76..   At 50 I took a painting lession at the local highschool and it evolved into a really nice hobby..   At 70 I began studying the cello...   At 74 I switched and began studying classical guitar..   (It's easier to carry)..     Also I do crosswords, sudoko and read quantum physics for fun (was just curious, turned out to be interesting)..    I also take care of an eight acre property by  myself, mowing, gardening, clearing snow.  Do it all under the loving eye of my wife, 63, who still works as a registered nurse..   Trick is - Don't think about the age, its only a meaningless number - still think I'm 30....

Bronze Conversationalist

That is so cool to me that you began doing those things later in life!  (And the fact that you describe your wife as having a loving eye, of course.)    👏

Kudos
Views
Contributor

I exercise both my brain and my body daily. 

I am a newsletter editor of a women's organization and use the computer and Internet extensively.  I also hit the treadmill for an hour every other day. 

Regular Contributor

Word Search Puzzles

Super Contributor

My mom used to do those.  Got pretty good at it too.

Honored Social Butterfly

You don't need anything elaborate. Reading, both for pleasure and understanding what is happening in the world might help. Also, simply working out, eating right, and interacting with people (such as doing volunteer work) help. Trying to do puzzles or games is only a small part.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Trusted Contributor

Several years ago, I was involved in a car accident that resulted in a traumatic brain injury. I was on my way home from the university where I’d just started a Master’s program. Doctors told me I was looking at a 10-year recovery. Fifteen months later, I still had no short term recall. Lacking patience, I took it upon myself to research my disability. This was a challenge because I was unable to comprehend or retain much of what I read so I took copious notes. Clearly, there is value in playing brain games, eating brain foods (Omega 3), trying new things, physical exercise, etc. 

In my research, I discovered a simple way to spur brain cell growth: Use all five senses at one time. For example: While reading (eyes) and holding a book in your hands (touch), listen to soothing music (sound), burn an aromatic candle (smell) and pop a mint into your mouth (taste). This not only helps memory, but creativity and much more. This I continue to do.

About three years into my recovery, I returned to school against doctor's advise. It took a bit longer to earn my degree, but I graduated with a 4.0.  I gave myself an A+ for perseverance.

Contributor

I appreciate your effort to recover your health and getting good marks in examination as well. Only a few have this kind of strength to fight with difficult situations and make a great victory. Hats off to you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP