Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Affirmation Tea - Oct 2021

Stress can be a good thing...wait, what? Turns out, tackling some stressful situations may impact brain health. But long-term, chronic stress can really do damage, which leads to this week's affirmation ⬇️

affirmation 30.png

How do you cope with stress? What healthy habits have do you have in your stress-management toolbox?

To affirm for yourself, reply with 🐦 or "yes."

Watch "Your Brain on Stress" to better understand the impact of acute and chronic stress on your brain — and learn to manage the stress in your life. For additional ways to support your brain and body check out Staying Sharp.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Mindfulness lights up parts of our brains that aren’t normally activated when we’re mindlessly running on autopilot.

“Mindfulness is awareness that arises through paying attention, on purpose, in the present moment, non-judgementally,” says Jon Kabat-Zinn, creator of the research-backed stress-reduction program Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). “And then I sometimes add, in the service of self-understanding and wisdom.” ⬇️

affirmation 31.png

Do you meditate to practice mindfulness? Are there other ways you incorporate mindfulness into your day-to-day habits?

To affirm for yourself, reply with 🤔 or "yes."

For mindfulness tools and tips, check out Staying Sharp.

Contributor

Yes.  I use the Daily Calm app to meditate as many mornings as possible -- before I begin my other daily activities, chief among them being an at-home co-caregiver for my 91-year-old bedbound mother.  Afterward, I try to take what I have practiced into the day. I am learning that mindfulness may not come naturally; it takes a lot of practice.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @AndizGr8Lyfe 👋 It's admirable that you provide at-home care to your mother. Allowing her to age in place is such a gift, but I imagine it also can be quite difficult and emotional.

I started a daily mindfulness practice a little more than a year ago. I'm just starting to notice that the patterns have become more integrated and that I have more control over my response. I also notice that if I skip practicing for a few days, I start to feel overly anxious and icky. I'll check out the Daily Calm app. I've been using the Shine app and I like it a lot. They have a free podcast with a mindfulness practice that they put out each day as well.

Silver Conversationalist

🐦

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP