Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Affirmation Tea - June 2021

Can y'all believe it's June already!? Almost halfway through 2021! The month of the solstice and the longest day of the year are upon us 😎 I love the loooong days of summer, and I've been thinking a lot about the sounds of summer. What sounds do you associate with summer? For me, the sound of the lawnmower early in the morning or late in the evening will always remind me of summer days ☀️

This month, our affirmations will focus on our bodies. Our bodies hold an infinite amount of wisdom, but many of us detach from our bodies as we move through life. This detachment can be caused by a multitude of things (chronic pain, trauma, addiction, etc.), and it's a completely valid way of dealing with the hardships life throws at us. In my own healing journey, I discovered the roots of my dissociation and have incorporated somatic practices once I felt safe enough to do so. Somatics have allowed me to reconnect to my body in a healthy way, and to attune to its signals, which leads me to this week's affirmation:

Affirmation 15.png

Our bodies are designed to protect us. Tuning into your mind-body connection and recognizing your survival instincts when they arise is an ongoing, lifelong practice. We are all out here, trying to survive, and sometimes, that's really hard to do. Honoring our bodies can help us to feel more alive, to place ourselves firmly in the present, and to feel what we feel without judgment. Do you have a somatic practice? How do you get in tune with your body and its signals?

To affirm for yourself, reply with 🌊 or "yes."

I hope you all have a joyous weekend and that you find time to care for and honor your bodies. Until next week! 💜

Well I just had knee surgery two months ago, and it is not going well, knee cap is always in pain.  I believe that doing something I love helps my mood, so I like to go to a water stream or small river and just sit in the water nude....seems to calm the beast of the pain...

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good afternoon, affirmation tea-ers! Hope you've all had a stellar week so far. I was able to get out of the city for a bit this week. I'm at a lakehouse and it's been a wonderful opportunity to reset and connect with nature. This morning, I sat on the dock and meditated. It was bliss! Now, for this week's affirmation ⬇️

Affirmation 18.png

Sometimes, I forget just how awesome my body is. My thighs carry me through my life's journey, and I love them so much for that! My belly goes to work digesting my food, which is so miraculous! My skin protects me, and I'm so grateful for that! If you're up for moving your body a bit today, check out this 10-Minute Barre Workout with Kathy Smith. It's a great way to reconnect to your body and reignite your appreciation for all of the awesome things it does for you!

To affirm for yourself, reply with 💋 or "yes."

Hope you all have a magnificent end to your week. See you next time! 💜

Silver Conversationalist

💋

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you @AARPRachelA !!!!! 🤗

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Community Manager

Happy Friday and almost Juneteenth, everyone! We are going to switch things up a bit this week and do a fill-in-the-blank affirmation ⬇️

Affirmation 17.png

Let's spread some body positivity! Every body is special and deserves to be celebrated. I'll start: I love the birthmark on the back of my left arm because it makes me special and unique. Now, it's your turn! What do you love about your amazing body? If you'd like to share, please do. If you'd like to keep your affirmation to yourself, that's okay too! Reply with 💘 or "yes" to affirm for yourself.

Hope you all have a glorious weekend. Sending you all love, light, and joy 💜

Kudos
Views
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @AARPRachelA my hair. Lol got so much even in my 60's. I dread combing it!!! 🤣😂 Awesome post!!! Hugs.

I hear you, and when you don't feel good and lay about the couch for a couple of days and then try to brush it out...OUCH!!!

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

I love this @Anonymous! From what I can see from your photo, your hair is gorgeous 😍 and it's wonderful that you still have so much of it in your 60s! I've definitely experienced the dread at having to comb through my own tangled and thick mane as well 🤗💜

Bronze Conversationalist

💘

Contributor

Rachel,

I am just loving this community. 

My affirmation fill in is “everything”.

I was always naturally slim and teased for being too skinny. Then when I gained weight I was body shamed. Through grace I stumbled on a life style of heathy eating and exercise. Now…I can be uniquely me and love it.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you @PamelaF637630, and welcome to our affirmation tea community! I'm so glad you are here 💜 Radical self-love is so powerful, and it fills me with joy to see that you embrace your body and your uniqueness!

Social Butterfly

@PamelaF637630  In high school,  5' 8'' and 105 lbs.  Tried to gain weight.  High school girls can be cruel, constantly reminding me how skinny and flat-chested I was, as if that was okay.  Slowly gained weight as the years past, ( but never a serious weight problem ) even with super clean eating and working out regularly.  Just recently lost 10 lbs. working to lose another 5-10, but not focusing on the number.  Really just want to feel comfortable in my clothes, have stamina, rid myself of the pre-diabetes I recently got diagnosed with, maintain healthy weight and good all-around health. Embracing and caring for my body.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Happy Tuesday, affirmation tea-ers! I hope your week is off to a splendid start 🌻 Please join me in taking a deep breath through your nose, focusing on the rise in your abdomen, and reach through the crown of your head if you can. Start to gently exhale through your nose, noticing the fall of your breath as you sink a little deeper into whatever surface is holding you up. I hope that leaves you feeling a little more grounded. Now, for this week's affirmation!

Affirmation 16.png

Our bodies are truly remarkable, and they carry so much wisdom. They also have the capacity to adapt and be flexible. Please remember to take some time to tune into that wisdom and resilience in whatever way that works for you. Walking in nature is a great way to connect with our bodies, reduce stress and ground ourselves. Meditation is also good for mental and physical health.

To affirm for yourself, reply with 💧 or "yes."

May your week be filled with moments of true rest! See you next week 💜

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes

Bronze Conversationalist

💧

Social Butterfly

Rachel, Sometimes my mind has to catch up to what my body is trying to tell me. I really need to "listen"  to what my body is trying to communicate to me. If I get too busy, distracted, go on autopilot or I'm under heavy stress, my mind doesn't listen well. Yes, meditation and mindfulness is huge. 

I'm also trying something that has been around for a long time, but new to me.  It's the "Alexander Technique" and it helps to realign the body, and improves how we stand, sit and move in general. It explores the mind-body connection.  One week in, and already seeing improvements.

Community Manager
Community Manager

What you said about the mind catching up to the body totally resonates with me @Rhymesometimes. What is the Alexander Technique? I'm not familiar. I'm glad you're seeing improvement so quickly!

I'm currently looking to deepen my mindfulness practices. I feel I've plateaued in my mindfulness growth. My mind has been racing more and I'm overall feeling a sense of having to move and think very quickly. I need more help to slow down. The beauty of mindfulness is that it's an ever-evolving practice. I see where I'm at as an opportunity for growth, and acknowledging it is the first step!

Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA , Just learning myself. It seems to be mostly about making small changes in movement and posture.  The first exercise had me laying face up, with just my head resting on a few books, to relax your neck and encourage it to have the proper curvature.  I tend to lean my head slightly to the right.  By having  my head elevated and resting on the books, I could feel where my head needed to be, so that I was centered. Eye-opening and encouraging.

Silver Conversationalist

💧

Recognized Social Butterfly

When your body is in pain that’s telling you something is wrong. Do not ignore the signs. 

Racquel Evans
Silver Conversationalist

🌊

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP