Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Affirmation Tea - July 2021

Good afternoon, everyone! I hope this week has been enjoyable and has pleasantly passed you by. The heat is upon us! We are getting a bit of a respite in the DC area now as big storms rolled in yesterday/last night that brought some cooler temps. How is everyone holding up where they are?

This month, our affirmations will focus on emotions. Emotion is defined as "a natural instinctive state of mind deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others." Being human means experiencing a full range of emotions. As we age, it's possible to disconnect from ourselves and our emotional responses. Managing your emotions may help you think more clearly and stay centered so that you can be the person you want to be.

One common myth many people believe is that some folks are born optimists. Research shows that genes play some role in optimism/pessimism, but they aren't strongly inherited traits. You can learn to be more hopeful, which leads to this week's affirmation ⬇️

Affirmation 19.png

Hope is a discipline. It's not always easy to be hopeful or to feel optimistic about our circumstances. How do you conjure up feelings of hope when things feel hopeless?

To affirm for yourself, reply with 🌴 or "yes."

I wish you all a happy and healthy holiday weekend! Enjoy, friends! 🎆💜

Recognized Social Butterfly

Experience is your best teacher

Racquel Evans
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello all! How was your week? I spent some time pruning the plants on my balcony garden this morning and it felt very meditative and good. If you have indoor plants and/or outdoor plants/a garden, spend some time with them today! The hibiscus are blooming in DC, and a neighbor has a bush of them. Every morning when I walk by, I marvel at their openness. They spread their petals as wide as they can and face the sun to soak as much of it as possible. It brings me great joy to see them pancaked like that! 🌺

This week's affirmation will focus on adversity. We are often incorrectly taught to believe that feeling sad or angry means failure. It's vital to remember that everyone faces adversity, and sadness, anger or other negative emotions can be appropriate responses. Managing your emotions means facing pain, not ignoring it ⬇️

Affirmation 22.png

Encountering challenges, pain or adversity can feel terrible in the moment, but we do have the power to cope and become stronger.

To affirm for yourself, reply with 🌺 or "yes."

Happy almost weekend! I hope yours is filled with moments of awe, joy and peace 💜

Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA  May sound cliche , but always heard that you can't successful go around or over your challenges, pain or adversity, but right through them.  Otherwise it will back up on you at some point or fester.  That has been pretty accurate for me.

Silver Conversationalist

🌺

Community Manager
Community Manager

Happy Friday, everyone! Hope your week has been joyful ☀️ I can't believe it's mid-July already. Summer sure does go by quickly!

Managing your emotions is a skill that takes time and practice to build. As I've been defining who I am, focusing on the present and manifesting the future I deserve, one thing that has helped me tremendously has been to cultivate an open mindset. I try to remain curious with a willingness to question old assumptions and my worst-case beliefs. Practicing this myself has also helped with my communication skills. I'm starting to recognize when someone I'm speaking with is in a closed mindset, and that allows me to move on from the conversation without ruminating (too much, I still do it!) on things. And all of that leads me to this week's affirmation ⬇️

Affirmation 21.png

Cultivating an open mind has really made me feel freer. It's deepened my connection with myself and with others.

To affirm for yourself, reply with 💗 or "yes."

Sending you all good vibes for the weekend and week ahead! Hasta luego (until later) 💜

Contributor

I agree it's very wise to keep an open mind when speaking with someone whose opinions you may not agree with, and to "move on," as you say, although it is hard when you have an opinion so different than another's and one you have "steeped," to use a tea analogy your own thoughts into a strong belief. I am hoping to re-develop some relationships and local activities now that things are opening up, but I will need to polish my tactfulness and remain positive in my interactions with others.  Thank you for your insight.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome @KpsOhio23 🍵 It definitely is harder said than done to move on when having conversations about heavy topics and encountering different opinions on them. I'm trying to train myself to become more aware when conversations aren't going anywhere. Tuning into how we talk at each other rather than listening, recognizing the signals in my body (increased heart rate, clammy hands) that tell me I need space. When I feel those things, I state that we aren't really getting anywhere and that I'd like to stop this conversation and perhaps pick it up another time.

Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA That is really good advice.

Contributor

Yes!!

Contributor

I have found as I slipped into my 60s a few years back that from time to time people want to talk at me by dump their problems on me and throw hard hit conversations of negativity on me. I don't know if it is my age, that they believe all older women want to hear this, or that they are people whole like to talk "at" someone, not with them in a sharing conversation. I am flattered they think I am wise and perhaps a good listener. I am also a positive person, friendly and enjoy people and life. But I am finding it annoying when they seemed to be wanting me to solve their problems or that I make suggestions to seek counseling. I need better tactics to slip away or cut off these people while still showing compassion and understanding. 

Contributor

Perhaps, as I try to do, ask them "What do you think is good solution?". Then explain that in all your wisdom, you're still not a professional and discuss seeking out a counselor (or whatever help suits them). 

Anonymous
Not applicable

🌴

Contributor

yes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

💗

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA  Great question.  If I get into a state where I feel hopeless ( which has happened due to my struggles with depression ) I've leaned heavily on my faith, family and friends.  I also look at my physical and mental health and see if there are things I can be doing to get a tune up.  Whether that is a simple as not isolating or ruminating, do some form of exercise, look at my sleep hygiene, talk therapy session and really focus on all of the good things in my life.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm glad you have a system that you can turn to when you need additional support @Rhymesometimes! I've also struggled with feelings of hopelessness and have been cultivating healthy ways for me to navigate those feelings. Just becoming aware of my thought patterns has been so helpful so that I can break the loop and stop spiraling.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA  You've nailed it on the head.  Figuring out what our thought patterns ( habits ) are, and then deciding if they serve us positively or not.  I can tell you are very self-aware, and that is pretty rare these days.  

Community Manager
Community Manager

💜💜💜

Community Manager
Community Manager

Top of the morning to you all and happy Friday! Hope your week has passed you by peacefully. Speaking of passed, today's affirmation is going to focus on embracing the past, which is critical when it comes to managing your emotions.

Your past informs your present, but many people incorrectly think that their history is their destiny. You can acknowledge your past without letting it guide how you handle your emotions today. Life is all about changing and growing. Rooting yourself firmly in the present allows you to recognize and embrace your past while thinking about the abundance that your future holds. ⬇️

Affirmation 20.png

To affirm for yourself, reply with 🌅 or "yes."

Cheers to the weekend! Hope yours is relaxing and rejuvenating 💜

Anonymous
Not applicable

🌅

Silver Conversationalist

🌅

Recognized Social Butterfly

I am hopeful for my future with promise and praying, 2021 and beyond is filled with open Doors 

Racquel Evans
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist

🌴

Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA  Happy Red, White and Blue to you to!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP