CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Online Community Memory Contest 2021 Week 3 of 3

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Online Community Memory Contest 2021 Week 3 of 3

AARPTeri
Contributor

Our mother thought that TV dinners were too expensive, so we only were allowed to eat them a few times, but I loved them! I thought they were so interesting! More often we were given frozen chicken pot pies (the little ones) and fish sticks, which I also thought were really special! Of course now I can barely get down a cooked frozen fish stick -- how did I ever think that they tasted good!

Contributor

I was a young teenager when TV dinners were introduced. Of course, Swanson was the main brand. I loved them & still do (Marie Callendar is my main brand now). To this day, I still use my TV tray in front of the TV.

Contributor

I am now sorry to say, but it is true that I loved Swanson TV Dinners, especially the fried chicken with apple pie dessert (I still remember it!) and the turkey dinner (I wonder now if it was really turkey). Preservatives, sugar and lots of salt---what could be bad!?! I was a finicky eater so there were times (not often) when I didn't like what my mother cooked and would prefer the TV dinner. My mother worked, so she'd acquiesce rather than fight with me to eat.  And also when my parents went out for the evening, I was very happy to fend for myself by eating a TV Dinner. 

Contributor

I ate a lot of TV Dinners! My parents were in this great neighborhood in the 60's that had lots of parties or they went out a lot. I would generally have the Swanson's Turkey Dinner with Mashed Potatoes and sit in front of the TV with my TV Tray, watching Please Don't Eat the Daisies. I loved my TV Dinner especially the Mashed Potatoes--as I would put extra butter on them ๐Ÿ™‚ I was a picky eater, but this I would eat. Easy for Mom to put in front of me. Those were the days!! Tv Dinners and great television. 

we didn't eat a lot of tv dinners.  Mom and Granny always made sure we had something to eat though,

Recognized Social Butterfly

T.v. Dinners was my favorite why good and ready fast

Racquel Evans
Regular Contributor

I bought one, probably in the late '50s, maybe the early '60s. It might have been Swanson; maybe Birdseye. It was so bad, I've never bought another. Same with Tang. I was impressed it went up with the astronauts and pleased to send the awful stuff down the drain.

Recently, a neighbor gave me a couple of โ€œMeals On Wheelsโ€ (I think) packages that weren't awful but the quantities were so small they barely classified as snacks. I hope I never descend to having to depend on them.

--
You may call 1415/343-LEW5 at any San Francisco time
but it's best between 1:30 and 3:30 Sun or Moon,
i.e., 10:30-Noon12:30 and 22:30-00:30 GMT.

Conversationalist

I remember the Tang commercials of the 1970s. I always wanted to try it, but it "was too expensive," according to Mom. She bought actual orange juice instead. How was Tang more expensive than orange juice? I suspect she was fibbing. 

For many seniors I worked with the portions are perfect.

Contributor

Your comment about Tang sums it up! ๐ŸŠ     

0 Kudos

Tang was good if you mdidn't compare it to orange juice but kool-aid with vitamins.  With eighr kids it was probably a good compromise.  I liked it.

Regular Contributor

I remember them very well... When I used to live alone (in school) and after while working. I remember Morton's as the major one I used to get. Loved the meatloaf w mashed and dessert...Tho did it some variety...

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I grew up in the late 1950โ€™s and eating a TV dinner was very rare. What a treat when our mom brought them home one cold autumn evening.  I can still taste the turkey, stuffing, corn, and mashed potatoes!  

Regular Contributor

Yes, two memories. My Mom wanted to try to finish her college education, interrupted by WWII and then marriage, and would serve my brother and me TV dinners so she could have time to get to her evening class. Sadly, my Dad's work hours changed and she had to drop out again and was never able to receive her degree. In fact, I was the first on her side of the family to become a college graduate but only owing to my parent's sacrifice. The second memory is eating dinner in front of the TV on a folding metal tray table - I bet you can still find them on eBay! My favorite was Salisbury steak with mac and cheese!

Bronze Conversationalist

This reminds me of my favorites as a kid. The turkey with stuffing and the fried chicken with mashed potatoes. I thought they were awesome! I bet my arteries are still feeling the effects!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP