Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

YET ANOTHER AARP PROVIDER SCAM

Just got a set of AARP Prescription Discount cards, personalized with my name, through a program run by OPTUM RX, whoever they are.

These cards were sent with no request being made for them by me.

They were sent by AARP.

These cards provide the following benefits:

A DRUG FOR WHICH I PAY $80 FOR A THREE MONTH SUPPLY WOULD ONLY COST $1600+ THROUGH THIS WONDERFUL AARP BENEFIT PROGRAM!!!!!

I always thought that AARP were advocates for the elderly. I signed my mother, with dementia, up for the AARP prescription plan. She was on Medicaid and taking no prescriptions at the time. It was a $106.00 for the year. I thought "why not." The sent me a bill for 2024, her cost goes up to $50.00 per month. i tried to cancel it an they transfer me all over the place. When I finally got through I was told I need to fax the POA, which I did. I called back, transferred around some more, I was told since I was the second one listed on the POA, and that they only pick one POA, they choose my sister and that she needed to call to cancel. So I had my sister call, after she was transferred around she was told that she had to fill out a dis-enrollment form. This has been ongoing for a week now and we have not gotten anywhere. Funny how it was so easy to sign her up but impossible to cancel. I think AARP makes it so hard for the elderly that they just give up and pay the bill each month.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

As with any prescription, you shop around to see where you get the best price and that is gonna depend on the med and the the pharmacy.  Sometimes that cheapest price is using your prescription drug plan other times that may be NOT using the Rx insurance plan but using a discount card and paying cash - be that GoodRx, Amazon or a world of others at the place where the base price is cheaper and you can use a (specific) discount card.

If it is a generic med, even using a discount pharmacy like CostPlus could give you the best (cash) price.  

No one method is gonna work on all meds; just another method to cut the cost, if applicable.

Don't you shop around for the cheapest price on OTC med - kind of the same principal.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

I agree Gail.  I have yet to find a single AARP affiliated program that actually saves me any money.  I have checked auto insurance, life insurance, motorcycle insurance, rental cars, hotel stays, and pharmaceuticals. I stand corrected, AARP saved me $12 when I switched my phones over to AT&T.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1,

I might agree with you if AARP'S provider was touting a competitive price to others as a cost savings. For example, if my $80 drug was $85 or $90 from AARP's provider then I can see AARP offering this provider as an alternative source.

But here we have the provider touting $1,600 as a cost savings for the AARP member.... that is ridiculous for a drug that costs $80 from other sources.

AARP's cost savings by most of their providers are almost always inferior to other sources, be it auto insurance, life insurance, travel, or other offerings.

Their rewards program can only be described as a farce. Most rewards can be garnered from other sources easier.

Their discounts are also inferior as most of their discounts are for companies that provide discounts directly to the consumer with less trouble. And these companies, for the most part, won't let you claim their direct discounts in conjunction with claiming an AARP discount.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@nctarheel wrote:

@GailL1,

AARP's cost savings by most of their providers are almost always inferior to other sources, be it auto insurance, life insurance, travel, or other offerings.

Their rewards program can only be described as a farce. Most rewards can be garnered from other sources easier.

I agree that any member or non-member discount has to taken with a grain of salt.  Comparing apples to apples has to be done to determine whatever cost savings or other benefits.

It is always buyer beware.  

As for that one med you referenced - if one had no insurance, or insurance coverage for the med or other discount card to use even though many are available for the asking - the AARP discount price for it might be the best that can be mustered for them; if it was absolutely needed.

More than anything else, seniors need to learn how to shop - or have some help doing it - Hey, at least you did check to determine any benefit or no benefit.

What I find to be appalling is that you have to have an AARP membership BEFORE one can even check to see if the member benefit might be good for them.   

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

I confirmed.

Compared both the price on the AARPpharmacy.com to perks.optum.com for a few of my prescriptions. Diffenence 20% more using AARP card. Why does AARP sponsor this scam.

Probably because they are being Paid to do it. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP