Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Why am I responsible for more than 20% of Medicare covered charges?

Contributor

This happens consistently.

And why does my medical practitioner jumble up the billing details just so that the total is the same as what Medicare says is "The Maximum You May Be Billed". It would take me far less time to check everything if they posted the same numbers for the same procedures.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@platt24 

Not enough info to answer your question too specifically - could be one of several different things.

Under Original Medicare - there are a few services or pay classifications that are covered differently -

• could be Medicare pays a bundled payment for some services 
  • could be that the doc isn’t paid on a Fee for Service basis because of some special classification you and your care may be under - like if you are a member of an Accountable Care Organization or some payment system CMS might be testing 
  • could be that your doc is not a provider that accepts Medicare assignment as full coverage - the provider could have opted to be a “non-participating” provider and can do some (think 15%) balanced billing.

If you can give more detail or examples, that would help to be more specific.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

Achieve a top score in our Tournament Tuesday Word Games in May and you could win $100 every 30 days!

Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP