Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers: No Longer an AARP Benefit?

Message 21 of 36

@p905594r

AARP did not offer SilverSneakers -  Silver Sneakers has NEVER been a membership benefit of AARP.

Note the words used in AARPTerri's post here (the one that started this thread)

"AARP-BRANDED" plans.

Everybody should understand the relationship between AARP and UHC with these Medicare plans - it is not always what you think it might be.

Here is the Disclaimer Page:  https://www.aarpmedicareplans.com/disclaimer.html#/article_mededaccordion0

copy and pasted from various parts of the Disclaimer:

AARP® MedicareComplete® Plans

AARP MedicareComplete plans carry the AARP name, and UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company pays royalty fees to AARP for the use of its intellectual property. These fees are used for the general purposes of AARP. You do not need to be an AARP member to enroll. AARP and its affiliates are not insurers.

AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans

The AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans carry the AARP name and UnitedHealthcare pays a royalty fee to AARP for use of the AARP intellectual property. Amounts paid are used for the general purposes of AARP and its members. Neither AARP nor its affiliate is the insurer.

You must be an AARP member to enroll in an AARP Medicare Supplement Plan.

There are others so read the whole link if you want to know about other plans.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 36

I am disappointed and surprised that AARP has chosen to no longer offer Silver Sneakers in Ohio. I have used the Silver Sneakers program at a local gym for several years. I will continue my gym membership even though it does not appear that it will offer the discount under the new AARP plan. When I need to choose between maintaining my gym membership and maintaining my AARP membership it will be an easy decision.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 36

Arizona is one in which the AARP UHC Medicare Supplement plan will no longer offer Silver Sneakers. The substitute plan amounts to a backdoor premium increase. Paying half the gym membership amounts to, in my case,  $20 more per month, on top of the "up-front" premium increase. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 36

"As this is a nationally read forum, could you be more specific as to which "several other states" are losing Silver Sneakers."

UHC is dropping Silver Sneakers here in Indiana.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 36

I don't know how taking away Silver Sneakers benefits any of us who have enjoyed using our Y or other fitness center for FREE. With UHC's new program I will have to pay $22 a month to continue using the Y. I will probably revert to exercising at home and use that $264 annual savings for essentials. Will I call the Personal Wellness Coach? Doubtful. That will likely wind up being an exercise in frustration like any other phone tree call to businesses these days.

UHC and AARP have let down me and everyone else who participated in Silver Sneakers. I am re-thinking my membership in both. I only chose UHC because I expected that AARP would have my back. But it's clear I was wrong. So perhaps I will go with lower cost health coverage as my husband did. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 36

Decisions about the SilverSneakers program markets are made jointly by UnitedHealthcare, SilverSneakers and AARP. The evaluation process must take into account a variety of different factors, such as the availability of locations, number of insured members in a state, marketing factors, regulatory concerns, etc.\

Why don't you just admit it is a short term money grab that will result in higher medical costs in the future?  Because you'll make more money now and pass the subsequent increased medical costs along to the "insured".

If AARP is "supposed" to advocate for their members, why didn't they ask our opinion during the "evaluation process"?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 36

Just for the record, I am not happy with the loss of the Silver Sneakers program in Arizona. The result is essentially an additional monthly premium increase ($20 for me, which is half the gym membership where I have been going). The additional benefits are of essentially no value to me: either already available or not ones that I would need. I hate to leave UHC, but I will continue to monitor eligibility and cost for other supplement programs.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 36

@DAdamsKX@Pideas@ChristineS148307 @RoxanneO884513 

Thank you for posting regardign the SilverSneakers Program with your AARP Medicare Plan provided by UnitedHealthcare.

We understand you have concerns regarding the removal of the Silver Sneakers program as a value-added benefit to your AARP branded Medicare plan. We are sorry that this program is no longer going to be offered in your state. Decisions about the SilverSneakers program markets are made jointly by UnitedHealthcare, SilverSneakers and AARP. The evaluation process must take into account a variety of different factors, such as the availability of locations, number of insured members in a state, marketing factors, regulatory concerns, etc. At this time, SilverSneakers is being replaced with a variety of new services such as a special membership rate at participating YMCAs and fitness centers and a personal wellness coach available over the phone to help you set and meet your fitness and health goals. UnitedHealthcare can also connect you to valuable community resources to help you live as healthy and active a life as possible. You can use a participating YMCA or fitness center and receive a special program offer of 50% off the monthly membership rate. There is also a waived or reduced enrollment fee. This change will allow UnitedHealthcare to offer more options to more insured members.

You can call 1-888-887-5963 to learn more about these services, or if you would like to join a YMCA or fitness center. By calling this dedicated health and wellness line, you can also inquire if your current fitness center is participating in the network and, if it’s not, to nominate it. Another way to nominate your local fitness center and help the network grow is to give the referral letter to your fitness center manager. That way your fitness center knows of your interest in having them join the network and they have the information to learn more.

If you would like to see which other healthcare providers participate in the Silver Sneakers program in your state, please visit https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/HealthPlans.

We hope that this information is helpful. We do appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your concerns, and thank you for being a member of AARP

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 36

Part of the reason for this forum, as I understand it, is for AARP to hear directly from its members about concerns, compliments, etc.  Hundreds of members have taken to this forum to voice strong opposition to this ridiculous move by AARP to take away our Silver Sneakers memberships, basically telling its members that AARP no longer cares about preventative health measures like exercise.  I would suggest, AARPBriana, that you make sure the powers that be spend a few minutes looking at the comments here and on several other web pages that have popped up this week with members who are so outraged by this move, that we are actively seeking other insurers who still care enough about their clients that they offer Silver Sneakers .... and there are a lot of them here in California.  Furthermore, moves like this make me question the value of my AARP membership because it is apparent you are not fighting for us on issues like this that matter to seniors' well-being.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 36

Hi Briana, 

You're the one we are addressing at this point.  We don't need to be "farmed out" to some "Member Relations" department.  Consider walking over to them and asking them what they think is happening on the forum sight for which you are the concierge.  Referring problems to other department is something frequently done to avoid transparency and to keep things as opaque as possible.  

AARP needs to come clean on this.

And, yes, we probably will contact Member Relations department, but when we do, it will be to drop our memberships.

I have yet to see complete clarity on this site about what is happening with AARP and UHC's Silver Sneakers cut.  Here are some possible reasons:  1) AARP is in complete accordance with cutting Silver Sneakers Program, its good for seniors to pay more for gym membeships  2) AARP doesn't really care, give it enough time, this will all go away  3) AARP supports unconditionally their chosen Medicare insurance carrier no matter what  4) AARP financial ties to UHC are too entangled to allow AARP to say anything 5) AARP hasn't been paying attention to any of this and its too late now anyway, again ... it will all just go away.  

We have no idea why.  Can you tell us?

Also, I'm waiting for your response to my previous post asking what you meant by "several states" cutting Silver Sneakers.  Also, as pointed out in this forum thread and might be made mention of here:

There are other Medicare supplement plans which still do offer Silver Sneakers.  

Tom
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season