You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Use code '2019' to save 25 percent now.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers: No Longer an AARP Benefit?

Message 11 of 30

Perhaps AARP should reconsider its endorsement of UHC Medicare Supplemental Part B insurance. Removing Silver Sneakers is an issue for me and many others I have come to find out.   The value added services do not replace Silver Sneakers.  I would not have signed up for 2019 if I had known UHC AARP was not offering Silver Snearkers for the year.  The web site did not indicate that the plan would no longer be offered.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 30

It is no longer being offered in Illinois!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 30

I will be cancelling my AARP Supplement plan which I just joined in April.  If I can’t trust you to stand behind the benefits that enticed me to sign up for AARP then why would I stay?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 30

When chosing my UHC policy through AARP, i felt the silver sneakers program was a great benifit. Now i understand your need to save money. Suggestion, why not leave the current users (grandfather) in the program and do not offer this to new members? 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 30

@p905594r

AARP did not offer SilverSneakers -  Silver Sneakers has NEVER been a membership benefit of AARP.

Note the words used in AARPTerri's post here (the one that started this thread)

"AARP-BRANDED" plans.

Everybody should understand the relationship between AARP and UHC with these Medicare plans - it is not always what you think it might be.

Here is the Disclaimer Page:  https://www.aarpmedicareplans.com/disclaimer.html#/article_mededaccordion0

copy and pasted from various parts of the Disclaimer:

AARP® MedicareComplete® Plans

AARP MedicareComplete plans carry the AARP name, and UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company pays royalty fees to AARP for the use of its intellectual property. These fees are used for the general purposes of AARP. You do not need to be an AARP member to enroll. AARP and its affiliates are not insurers.

AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans

The AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans carry the AARP name and UnitedHealthcare pays a royalty fee to AARP for use of the AARP intellectual property. Amounts paid are used for the general purposes of AARP and its members. Neither AARP nor its affiliate is the insurer.

You must be an AARP member to enroll in an AARP Medicare Supplement Plan.

There are others so read the whole link if you want to know about other plans.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 30

I am disappointed and surprised that AARP has chosen to no longer offer Silver Sneakers in Ohio. I have used the Silver Sneakers program at a local gym for several years. I will continue my gym membership even though it does not appear that it will offer the discount under the new AARP plan. When I need to choose between maintaining my gym membership and maintaining my AARP membership it will be an easy decision.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 30

Arizona is one in which the AARP UHC Medicare Supplement plan will no longer offer Silver Sneakers. The substitute plan amounts to a backdoor premium increase. Paying half the gym membership amounts to, in my case,  $20 more per month, on top of the "up-front" premium increase. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 30

"As this is a nationally read forum, could you be more specific as to which "several other states" are losing Silver Sneakers."

UHC is dropping Silver Sneakers here in Indiana.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 30

I don't know how taking away Silver Sneakers benefits any of us who have enjoyed using our Y or other fitness center for FREE. With UHC's new program I will have to pay $22 a month to continue using the Y. I will probably revert to exercising at home and use that $264 annual savings for essentials. Will I call the Personal Wellness Coach? Doubtful. That will likely wind up being an exercise in frustration like any other phone tree call to businesses these days.

UHC and AARP have let down me and everyone else who participated in Silver Sneakers. I am re-thinking my membership in both. I only chose UHC because I expected that AARP would have my back. But it's clear I was wrong. So perhaps I will go with lower cost health coverage as my husband did. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 30

Decisions about the SilverSneakers program markets are made jointly by UnitedHealthcare, SilverSneakers and AARP. The evaluation process must take into account a variety of different factors, such as the availability of locations, number of insured members in a state, marketing factors, regulatory concerns, etc.\

Why don't you just admit it is a short term money grab that will result in higher medical costs in the future?  Because you'll make more money now and pass the subsequent increased medical costs along to the "insured".

If AARP is "supposed" to advocate for their members, why didn't they ask our opinion during the "evaluation process"?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users