You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Use code '2019' to save 25 percent now.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers: No Longer an AARP Benefit?

Message 1 of 30

I asked at the desk what the plan was for Silver Sneaker's members losing their free memberships. The gatekeeper at my gym (LA Fitness) said she was aware of the problem but corporate hadn't sent any word down the line. This was toward the end of last week. She said to just keep coming until someone stopped me at the door. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 30
Wow - That's terrible! We're so excited to have Silver Sneakers via Anthem! I referred an AARP/UHC Medicare customer to Silver Sneakers because we're so thrilled with this wellness benefit - but he sadly discovered that AARP has DROPPED it this year. Doesn't AARP consider HEALTHY seniors a priority?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 30

Getting a membership is not a problem. It is just that the cost of membership, even at a discounted rate, is a significant increase in the effective premium of the insurance policy. The new web page and mail/electronic advertisements for the new services are really a sad effort to cover over this change that is so costly to the insureds. There are no on-site classes in my area of Arizona; coaching is (from my experience when this benefit was offered as part of the policy provided by my office) really useless; nursing counsel was already available; fifty per cent coverage of gym membership is a fifty per cent increase in gym fees for insureds; web page and email and post offer just a lot of fluff pieces.

AARP has really let us down. Apparently, its reputation as an advocate for its members is of no importance. Or maybe those of us who used Silver Sneakers are just too few in number to matter. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 30
Have you asked your current gym if they will participate in the new program? I, too, was a paying member of Gold's Gym for many, many years. Then I was so happy to get my AARP/UHC supplement plan that included Silver Sneakers, which Gold's Gym participated in. Now I have lost that, but Gold's told me they will offer all prior Silver Sneakers members a $20/month membership that includes everything we've always had. While I'm pretty mad at the non-transparency of AARP/UHC in how this was rolled out and communicated, I am happy that Gold's will still offer a cheaper membership option. Not thrilled about an extra $240/year but it's cheaper than a regular membership. BTW, I'm in California.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 30
AARPBriana, please don't polish this turd. I was offered a YMCA impossible to get to or a Curves discount (Curves? Really?).

I assume you aren't someone who frequents a gym or you'd know that people build a relationship with their particular gym People don't normally switch without considerable reason (better, cleaner, cheaper).

There was no consideration for old gym rats that gave up old memberships that were much cheaper than those same gyms offer today.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 30

I had a sweet deal with LA Fitness because I started so long ago. I dropped it when I found out AARP/UHC offered free membership as a benefit.Now UHC has decided to drop the program but because they are generous, they are offering alternatives.

The letter I go gave me a chance to join a Curves or a YMCA well out of my way. Curves? Really? No sexism intended, I'm a guy interested in old school style workouts using free weights and machines, not Zoomba or whatever it's called.

So now, I face starting a new account with a significant increase in membership cost at LA Fitnesss.

Outstanding work AARP, outstanding. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 30

AARP makes WAY too much income from UHC to even consider biting the hand that feeds them.  Just like politicians are bought and paid for by their large donors, AARP is just a shill for UHC.  It's all about the bottom line, and most of AARPs bottom line comes from UHC.  If the members of AARP think the organization really represents them, they are more naive than I believe they really are.  No one pays attention until there is a problem.  Only the members can create enough feedback to force the organization to respond.  Vote with your feet and go to another provider.  That will be all they understand.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 30

@LarryS682617 wrote:
It's disgraceful that they didn't notify us during open enrollment, that they were dropping the silver sneakers plan!!! If they had been honest in divulging the plan change, we would have gone with another provider. I'm highly disappointed in AARP!

So you don't review the new Medicare Advantage policy for the following year before re-upping for another year during open enrollment?

Do you review the networks to make sure your providers are still covered within the plan?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 30
It's disgraceful that they didn't notify us during open enrollment, that they were dropping the silver sneakers plan!!! If they had been honest in divulging the plan change, we would have gone with another provider. I'm highly disappointed in AARP!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 30

I imagine that this is an income generating program for AARP, but this move by UHC certainly hurts their reputation. It is an indirect premium increase. Even at that, it is hard for me to believe that the move is cost-effective in the long run. Fewer people will use the gym and, as you say, the other services are really not useful to most persons. When I was working, I used the coaching idea because there was a financial incentive to do so, but the value of those sessions was almost nil. However, once a decision has been made it is very unusual for a company to walk it back. The only good alternative is to shop for insurors that still include Silver Sneakers or an equivalent program. Loss of members is the only language that speaks clearly and forcefully enough for a large company to pay attention. Too bad! I have always liked UHC and found its coverage, if not generous, at least reliable. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users