Get a newer and safer vehicle while saving money! Check out the AARP auto buying program.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers: No Longer an AARP Benefit?

Message 1 of 36
Other Medicare supplement programs still offer Silver Sneakers. It appears we can no longer rely on AARP to advocate for us.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 36
It’s all about the profits, baby.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 36
This is my first year with Medicare and I certainly didn’t know. My husband has used Silver Sneakers for ten years and I was so much looking forward to also being able to use it. Now neither of us can use it.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 36
During the ACA hearings in 2009 United Healthcare was one of the worst offenders for finding excuses for dropping people when they got cancer. I especially remember one woman with breast cancer who was dropped because she had failed to disclose that she had acne as a teenager. Executives would get bonuses for large numbers of recissions. When asked if they would stop cutting people who had become ill, huh, you can guess. I was dismayed when I qualified for Medicare, to see it was UHC, because I know they are all about the profits. And I’m sad to find out I was right.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 36

I plan to sign up for a different Medicare supplement program when the enrollment period begins next year.  Unfortunately I’m stuck for the year.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 36

I’m so disappointed.  When I confidently presented my ID where I like to swim the middle of January I was told I no longer had a Silver Sneakers membership.  When I called United Healthcare (where I have my AARP Medicare Supplement) I was told they no longer paid for Silver Sneakers membership, but they had something that was oh so much better.  All the places they offer with pools where I can swim laps are either a 30-45 minute drive away, or teeny tiny pools where I would have to swim 50 laps to swim a mile.  I can’t use my closest Y, either here or in Ohio.  I can submit a facility I want to use, but I need to give the name of the facility, zip code, phone number, the name of a contact person, and his/her email address.  I was also told by the enthusiastic person that I could take free classes.  I entered my zip code into the website, and I was told there are none in my area.  For Pete’s sake, I live in New Orleans, LA!  This is a huge PITA and I hope AARP affiliates with a Medicare supplement program that actually does promote wellness.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 36

I asked at the desk what the plan was for Silver Sneaker's members losing their free memberships. The gatekeeper at my gym (LA Fitness) said she was aware of the problem but corporate hadn't sent any word down the line. This was toward the end of last week. She said to just keep coming until someone stopped me at the door. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 36
Wow - That's terrible! We're so excited to have Silver Sneakers via Anthem! I referred an AARP/UHC Medicare customer to Silver Sneakers because we're so thrilled with this wellness benefit - but he sadly discovered that AARP has DROPPED it this year. Doesn't AARP consider HEALTHY seniors a priority?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 36

Getting a membership is not a problem. It is just that the cost of membership, even at a discounted rate, is a significant increase in the effective premium of the insurance policy. The new web page and mail/electronic advertisements for the new services are really a sad effort to cover over this change that is so costly to the insureds. There are no on-site classes in my area of Arizona; coaching is (from my experience when this benefit was offered as part of the policy provided by my office) really useless; nursing counsel was already available; fifty per cent coverage of gym membership is a fifty per cent increase in gym fees for insureds; web page and email and post offer just a lot of fluff pieces.

AARP has really let us down. Apparently, its reputation as an advocate for its members is of no importance. Or maybe those of us who used Silver Sneakers are just too few in number to matter. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 36
Have you asked your current gym if they will participate in the new program? I, too, was a paying member of Gold's Gym for many, many years. Then I was so happy to get my AARP/UHC supplement plan that included Silver Sneakers, which Gold's Gym participated in. Now I have lost that, but Gold's told me they will offer all prior Silver Sneakers members a $20/month membership that includes everything we've always had. While I'm pretty mad at the non-transparency of AARP/UHC in how this was rolled out and communicated, I am happy that Gold's will still offer a cheaper membership option. Not thrilled about an extra $240/year but it's cheaper than a regular membership. BTW, I'm in California.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users