Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers: No Longer an AARP Benefit?

Message 1 of 40

AARP sure knows how to raise their premiums and take away stuff..AARP in.New York never offered silver sneakers its a shame.....

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 40

Maybe it was reinstated, but that doesn't make up for the fact it WAS terminated, and some of us had to go through new enrollment costs & procedures prior to that reinstatement if we wanted to continue at LA Fitness.

And what happens when UHC/AARP decides to yank this benefit again? Another round of initiation fees, etc to stay at LA Fitness?

First time, shame on UCC/AARP, second time, shame on me.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 40

I was glad to see that. The local YMCA where I am a member is participating.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 40

the new UnitedHealthcare PPO plan has reinstated the free health club/silver sneakers. I'm using it at LA Fitness.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 40
Other Medicare supplement programs still offer Silver Sneakers. It appears we can no longer rely on AARP to advocate for us.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 40
It’s all about the profits, baby.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 40
This is my first year with Medicare and I certainly didn’t know. My husband has used Silver Sneakers for ten years and I was so much looking forward to also being able to use it. Now neither of us can use it.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 40
During the ACA hearings in 2009 United Healthcare was one of the worst offenders for finding excuses for dropping people when they got cancer. I especially remember one woman with breast cancer who was dropped because she had failed to disclose that she had acne as a teenager. Executives would get bonuses for large numbers of recissions. When asked if they would stop cutting people who had become ill, huh, you can guess. I was dismayed when I qualified for Medicare, to see it was UHC, because I know they are all about the profits. And I’m sad to find out I was right.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 40

I plan to sign up for a different Medicare supplement program when the enrollment period begins next year.  Unfortunately I’m stuck for the year.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 40

I’m so disappointed.  When I confidently presented my ID where I like to swim the middle of January I was told I no longer had a Silver Sneakers membership.  When I called United Healthcare (where I have my AARP Medicare Supplement) I was told they no longer paid for Silver Sneakers membership, but they had something that was oh so much better.  All the places they offer with pools where I can swim laps are either a 30-45 minute drive away, or teeny tiny pools where I would have to swim 50 laps to swim a mile.  I can’t use my closest Y, either here or in Ohio.  I can submit a facility I want to use, but I need to give the name of the facility, zip code, phone number, the name of a contact person, and his/her email address.  I was also told by the enthusiastic person that I could take free classes.  I entered my zip code into the website, and I was told there are none in my area.  For Pete’s sake, I live in New Orleans, LA!  This is a huge PITA and I hope AARP affiliates with a Medicare supplement program that actually does promote wellness.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE