Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers: No Longer an AARP Benefit?

Message 11 of 36
AARPBriana, please don't polish this turd. I was offered a YMCA impossible to get to or a Curves discount (Curves? Really?).

I assume you aren't someone who frequents a gym or you'd know that people build a relationship with their particular gym People don't normally switch without considerable reason (better, cleaner, cheaper).

There was no consideration for old gym rats that gave up old memberships that were much cheaper than those same gyms offer today.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 36

I had a sweet deal with LA Fitness because I started so long ago. I dropped it when I found out AARP/UHC offered free membership as a benefit.Now UHC has decided to drop the program but because they are generous, they are offering alternatives.

The letter I go gave me a chance to join a Curves or a YMCA well out of my way. Curves? Really? No sexism intended, I'm a guy interested in old school style workouts using free weights and machines, not Zoomba or whatever it's called.

So now, I face starting a new account with a significant increase in membership cost at LA Fitnesss.

Outstanding work AARP, outstanding. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 36

AARP makes WAY too much income from UHC to even consider biting the hand that feeds them.  Just like politicians are bought and paid for by their large donors, AARP is just a shill for UHC.  It's all about the bottom line, and most of AARPs bottom line comes from UHC.  If the members of AARP think the organization really represents them, they are more naive than I believe they really are.  No one pays attention until there is a problem.  Only the members can create enough feedback to force the organization to respond.  Vote with your feet and go to another provider.  That will be all they understand.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 36

@LarryS682617 wrote:
It's disgraceful that they didn't notify us during open enrollment, that they were dropping the silver sneakers plan!!! If they had been honest in divulging the plan change, we would have gone with another provider. I'm highly disappointed in AARP!

So you don't review the new Medicare Advantage policy for the following year before re-upping for another year during open enrollment?

Do you review the networks to make sure your providers are still covered within the plan?

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 36
It's disgraceful that they didn't notify us during open enrollment, that they were dropping the silver sneakers plan!!! If they had been honest in divulging the plan change, we would have gone with another provider. I'm highly disappointed in AARP!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 36

I imagine that this is an income generating program for AARP, but this move by UHC certainly hurts their reputation. It is an indirect premium increase. Even at that, it is hard for me to believe that the move is cost-effective in the long run. Fewer people will use the gym and, as you say, the other services are really not useful to most persons. When I was working, I used the coaching idea because there was a financial incentive to do so, but the value of those sessions was almost nil. However, once a decision has been made it is very unusual for a company to walk it back. The only good alternative is to shop for insurors that still include Silver Sneakers or an equivalent program. Loss of members is the only language that speaks clearly and forcefully enough for a large company to pay attention. Too bad! I have always liked UHC and found its coverage, if not generous, at least reliable. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 36

Perhaps AARP should reconsider its endorsement of UHC Medicare Supplemental Part B insurance. Removing Silver Sneakers is an issue for me and many others I have come to find out.   The value added services do not replace Silver Sneakers.  I would not have signed up for 2019 if I had known UHC AARP was not offering Silver Snearkers for the year.  The web site did not indicate that the plan would no longer be offered.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 36

It is no longer being offered in Illinois!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 36

I will be cancelling my AARP Supplement plan which I just joined in April.  If I can’t trust you to stand behind the benefits that enticed me to sign up for AARP then why would I stay?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 36

When chosing my UHC policy through AARP, i felt the silver sneakers program was a great benifit. Now i understand your need to save money. Suggestion, why not leave the current users (grandfather) in the program and do not offer this to new members? 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors