Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

New Barclays AARP Credit Card: Chase 6.99% interest to Barclay 16.74-25.74% interest

New Barclays AARP Credit Card: Chase 6.99% interest to Barclay 16.74-25.74% interest

AARP, I can't believe you have sold me out!!! My Chase credit card, which I have had for a long time, started at 6% interest and only increased to 6.99% over many years. The Barclay card interest ranges from 16.74% to 25.74%. I don't care what kind of benefit Barclays gives, like 3% cash back from some purchases, it will never make up for the increase in interest. 

Perhaps Barclays is giving AARP a bigger cut, but you have hung your members out to dry. That card was our emergency card in case something happened that we can't afford immediately on a fixed income. Now we will have to flush a great piece of our reduced retirement income down the toilet for interest for medical or other surprise expenses. I say SHAME ON YOU AARP!!!

Periodic Contributor

What you wrote about is only one of a whole host of rotten issues with the Chase-Barclay transition.   I only found out about the transition today (2 weeks before the cut-off) when an email and postal mail message arrived.  I've going to be traveling during the transition period, my new card probably won't arrive before I leave, and I can't use my Chase card after 9/16 --- but the new card can't be activated until 9/20.  What are we supposed to do for those 4 days between cards??  All of my hotels, rentals car, etc. are booked to the Chase card, and I have to present that card at check-in or my reservations will be canceled.  

Barclays won't take calls from AARP members until 9/20.  I called AARP, and the rep said that all she had was the same brochure I got in the mail.  This is a nightmare customer-service nightmare.  I applied for another credit card today and will cancel the Barclay card as soon as it arrives.  

I tried activating my card thru the recommended BARCLAYSUS website - request was rejected. Then I tried to activate using the voice response unit number on the front of the new card. That also got rejected. I have been on hold waiting for someone to help me figure out how to use this new dang card for over 30 minutes...Hope you are all having better luck!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP