Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Hartford Raised Auto Premium 45%

We have been with AARP for several years and decided a few years ago to switch auto insurance to Hartford because of their affiliation with AARP.  For no apparent reason Hartford raised our auto insurance premium 45% this time around.  Can AARP help us with this problem?

Periodic Contributor

I’m highly likely not to renew my AARP membership because of the rate increase by The Hartford. I had only signed up with AARP in order to obtain at the time a good rate on auto insurance. I don’t much use AARP for other purposes.

The organization seems to have lost its way and strayed from its Mission by not doing more to truly leverage its relationship with this insurance Provider to the benefit of AARP Members. If The Hartford can’t provide highly competitive insurance rates then AARP should simply replace it with a better Provider; however, I have seen no evidence of AARP moving in that direction. 

Herding Members to chat with Member Relations fixes nothing. AARP already understands the problem facing Members. Maybe AARP values Provider-paid royalties over the financial well-being of auto-driving Members?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@VintageDrummer 

OK,I’ll ask - what part of your AARP branded Auto Insurance went up the most or was it an overall increase?  Did your policy change from before to now?  Did you change any in the part of premium adjustments that deals with you - age adjustment, credit score decline, family makeup change, geographical location change.

There are all kinds of situations and circumstances that affect premiums on insurance of all kinds.  All I hear in these complaints is that premiums are higher - the reason they might be is what is important and that’s never mentioned.

My (not AARP affiliated) UN/UNDER Insured coverage has increased dramatically - guess why.

My comprehensive also increased - reason being car thefts/vandalisms  are up where I live.

Could there be something on the policy has changed - did you lose one of those “valued” discounts that is linked to this branded product?  Did you uncouple your home/auto coverage thus you lost this discount.

Do you have a Safe Driving Device attached to your car - read by the insurance company for safe driving measure - IDK if this branded product has such a feature.

In addition to all of this, one has to also look at the average claim size now that cars are so expensive with all the new electronics and differences in EVs and Combustible engines.  

Maybe you are getting MORE of something - we don’t know.

It really would be interesting to see a more detailed analysis of the whys than just “more money”.  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

@GailL1 

Nothing about the coverage on my policy changed. Simply stated the renewal rate increased by 42%. My driving record is excellent as are my credit ratings. 

From the consumer angle it’s not complicated - The Hartford is raising the price. Because they can. And I’m now in the process of evaluating more competitive alternatives (which do exist). 

And, quite likely, I won’t be renewing my AARP membership.

As well, I don’t care to hear about AARP not being able to do something about the behavior of one of its royalty-paying Provider partners. I don’t believe that assertion absent transparent contractual documentation that supports that contention. And if that were to be the case, AARP should find a more price competitive Provider and learn how to negotiate better contracts. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@VintageDrummer wrote

As well, I don’t care to hear about AARP not being able to do something about the behavior of one of its royalty-paying Provider partners. I don’t believe that assertion absent transparent contractual documentation that supports that contention.

———————————————————

That’s the reason why I am saying that until we know how AARP Services came up with their selection of this branded partner will we understand the WHY.

Value can mean different things to different people - maybe it is because of some risk adjustment that they use for older member - maybe it has something to do with the wide number of discounts available - selected or standard - like disappearing deductible, new care replacement, the safe driving app, etc.

So what is AARP Services definition or measure of value for their members. Wonder if that is something these AARP.org CustomerCare reps would like to share - 

Full disclosure - not an AARP member, have NO benefits from them bought or given - I have come here since 2008 answering questions on this board mostly on Social Security and Medicare.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

@GailL1 
The large percentage rate increase is pretty much across the board, based on speaking with my very knowledgeable insurance agent. I've learned it's not much about the particular intricacies of coverage aspects you've been wondering about. If you don't believe me, research it yourself. The Hartford raised its rates because it can get away with doing so. AARP earns royalties from its connection with The Hartford. Usually "royalties" means a percentage of sales. If insurance rates go up, maybe AARP's ok with that - more $$$ for AARP if royalties are based on sales but then, sadly, more expense for Members who don't take the effort to find another auto insurance company.

I'm in the process of changing to a better and less expensive provider and will be dropping The Hartford like an overheated potato. AARP is not doing what's best for its Members.  AARP could offer more than one insurance carrier; AARP could drop insurance partners if they stop being good deals. AARP seems stuck in its many years' relationship connected to The Hartford (Cui Bono?). AARP doesn't seem capable of change. Their support operation is of no usefulness in this matter. AARP has lost its way and needs better leadership. Probably the only thing that will prompt AARP to act differently would be if large numbers of Members cancel their membership. Much of the so-called AARP benefits and information on various topics can be found elsewhere (online; libraries; books; etc.)

I'll very soon be quitting AARP and requesting a prorated refund. The net result will be me saving significant money and not wasting time trying to improve matters by interacting further with their support operation.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@VintageDrummer 

So Liability rose 45%, Collision rose 45%, Comprehensive rose 45%, etc.?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

@GailL1 @AARPConsumerCare 

I’m referring to the fact that the overall cost that I would pay has risen to maintain exactly the same level and types of coverage. Basically for consumers the cost of renewing with The Hartford is in the neighborhood of almost 50% +\- with the exact percentage depending likely on a variety of factors such as type of coverage, driver characteristics, the particular state, discounts and the car’s value. I’ve no interest in dissecting the exact percentages herein at the individual insured level. There simply is no reason for me to devote time diving into the weeds here - I’ve already learned directly from The Hartford that no option exists to counteract their cost increase and keep the same coverage. Furthermore bundling in my home insurance is a substantially worse deal (less coverage, higher cost for home insurance than what I currently have). 

The fundamental point is that AARP’s chosen Provider for auto insurance benefits has raised the cost dramatically at the macro level even taking into account possible discounts such as taking a safe driving course, bundling home and auto policies, etc. 

AARP seems unable to meaningfully solve this insurance headache for reasons that are not completely transparent. To best protect my finances the solution for me is that I’m soon changing auto insurers. And although I first joined AARP over 20 years ago, with some sadness I’ll be canceling my membership as a form of protest, too. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

AARP, I don't think investigating ONE person's complaint will help the rest of us.  We are ALL claiming ridiculous increases every 6 months on auto and yearly on house.  You need to re-examine your partnership with Hartford and maybe change.

Community Concierge

@kyjweber We're sorry to hear you’re having trouble with one of our benefit providers. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team.  - Janelle M.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

"ALREADY HAD THE "CHAT"...WAS A WASTE OF TIME...PAID CAR INSURANCE SINCE 1966....NOW AT 74 WAS TOLD "I SHOULD BE PROUD OF MY DRIVI9NG RECORD!".......YA THINK!!!!;;;;;;;;;;;

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

"LETS ALL "CRY TEARS" FOR THE CEO AND BOARD WHO RUN THE HARTFORD.....SUCKS HAVING TO BE FORCED TO TAKE MILLIONS IN SALARYS ANDS BONUSES.... WHILE SCREWING AMERICAS ELDERLY!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi Janelle,

At this point in time, what is it that you / Member Relations do not understand about The Hartford's rate increases? What else do you need to understand? The rates have increased very dramatically in a short period of time. It's causing financial distress. It's affecting many AARP members. Doing 1:1 interactions with people who raise their concerns here is not helpful in this circumstance. It comes across as a bureaucratic deflection. People join AARP hoping to find information and services of value. The value provided by AARP has decreased because one your partner Providers is problematic. Please feel welcome to pass along my summary to the Member Relations team and then please develop a vision and strategy to soon create better service. If you are unable to do so with The Hartford, then maybe find a better partner Provider?

Community Concierge

Hi @@VintageDrummer, please check your previous post, I've sent you a reply. - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@kyjweber 

Maybe you should go to the source - meaning the AARP arm that developed the name branded agreement with The Hartford.

AARP.org - AARP SERVICES, Inc

Periodic Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, @GailL1, but I've spent too much time on this already.  Trying to find the right person and correct way to contact them will take so much more time.  If they haven't checked the complaints here in the past few years, I don't have much hope.

I'm in the process of changing insurance companies. To be fair, the rate hikes happen with every company.  Every 3 years or so I do some research and at least start out at a better rate.  (Love your Roseanna pic!  Love Gilda.)

Contributor

Hartford raised my insurance 42% this year. AARP help! Does anyone have a good alternative? I'm finding this out at renewal and don't have any alternatives in place so stuck paying the inflated $483 extra.

Periodic Contributor

I  HAVE A SPOTLESS DRIVING RECORD SINCE 1966..NOW 74 AND RARELY DRIVE ANYWHERE...NOW..I DRIVE AN HOUR A WEEK AT MOST...WAS TOLD BY SOME GOOBER IN THE HARTFORD THAT "I SHOULD BE PROUD OF MY SPOTLESS DRIVING RECORD"...THAT DID NOT STOP MY INSURANCE FROM GOING FROM $660. A YEAR TO $969 A YEAR!! SO...A LIFETIME OF PAYING FOR SOMETHING....NEVER TAKING ANYTHING....AND NOW GETTING "THANKED BY THE HARTFORD WITH A SMILE AND A HUGE RATE INCREASE."WHEN DO I GET ANY PAYBACK OR IS THAT IT!!??"

FYI:   .The compensation of The Hartford CEO and Chairman Christopher Swift totaled nearly $16 million in 2021. The compensation of W. Robert Berkley, Jr., CEO of Greenwich-based W. R. Berkley, totaled about $14 million in 2021.Jun 6, 2022

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@PhillC37239 I'm sorry to hear you’re having trouble with one of our benefit providers, the Hartford. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team.  - Janelle M.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@susanr624672 Hi. Found this on the web...

What Insurance Company Is Better Than The Hartford?

State Farm, Geico, and Progressive are better than The Hartford, based on factors like average premiums, number of discounts available, and customer service record. Geico is also one of four top-10 car insurance companies that are cheaper than The Hartford, on average, along with Travelers, USAA and Progressive. (Sep 19, 2023) 

I do hope that AARP can provide some alternatives for you. Yet, I highly doubt it. They (AARP) seem to strive in soliciting Hartford to many AARP members. You may want to venture outside of AARP to find your savings. 

I hope it all works out for you. 

Contributor

Thanks so much for your reply. I was pretty shocked by the increase. I've been with them for years.

Honored Social Butterfly

@susanr624672  I've gone through the same hike with several companies, too.

I do hope you'll return with what company you decided to go with, something useful for others, as well.  🙂

Trusted Social Butterfly

1 comment (2/25/24) @susanr624672 , it depends on what coverage you want. I have Allstate in Virginia and retired with a 2006 Hyundai Elantra. I also live in Florida and that state is h.ll with insurance. Good Luck  😎

[*** SUSAN @susanr624672 wrote:

Hartford raised my insurance 42% this year. AARP help! Does anyone have a good alternative? I'm finding this out at renewal and don't have any alternatives in place so stuck paying the inflated $483 extra. ***]

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

DO WHAT I DID....AT 74...AND DRIVING 1 HOUR A WEEK...."DUMP THE INSURANCE"...LET THE LAWMAKERS DEAL WITH THOSE GREEDY HARTFORD EXECUTIVES!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thank you!!

Trusted Social Butterfly

(2/25/24) You are WELCOME @susanr624672   😎

[*** SUSAN @susanr624672 wrote:

Thank you!! ***]

0 Kudos

For 3 autos, 2 senior drivers with clear records our annual premium increased from $2200 to $4800. Shopped the policy and switched to Progressive for $1400 yr, same coverage. Progressive's on line and app access is so much better too. 

Contributor

Same here, up 36% this year.....way to support the retiree's AARP!

I just checked to see how much we will owe for The Hartford auto insurance renewal in late February. It went up 73%. I talked (texted) to someone at The Hartford. All they could say is that because we live in Florida and there are natural distasters here, Florida had the hightest increases in the country. But73%? No accidents, no tickets, drive 50 miles or less per week. We are not in a flood zone and experienced no flooding, even during Hurricane Ian, which went right over us, and was one of the---if not THE worst--hurricanes to hit Florida. AARP needs to investigate this mistreatment of senior citizens.

Bronze Conversationalist

Got my renewal. Mine went up 29% with no changes, tickets or claims.   From a few people I spoke with this seems to be the norm.  .  I haven't had a claim since 1993, & drive around 6K/yr

Auto Insurance companies primarily do that, lowball you in, then creep your rate up, I've been with Hartford for 6 years with pretty much the same years of vehicles (actually older now).  & my rate has close to doubled for the same coverage. ... no tickets claims or accidents in that period. 

I fear though next year this will be another 30%. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP