Does anyone know where someone who is disabled can get help with a motorized scooter?

A neighbor of mine and his brother both have cerebral palsey. His brother, Michael, was hit by a landscape truck in March and has been hospitalized and now moved to a rehab facility. His younger brother Ben needs a new chair to be able to visit him. His present chair is old and only can go 13 miles without needing a charge. He was denied a new chair through Medicare. Is there any organization that can help?

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@AZLADY713 I'd like to share some information that may be helpful. The Eldercare Locator is a nationwide service that connects older Americans and their caregivers with trustworthy local support resources. You can contact the Eldercare Locator at 1-800-677-1116 to see if they are able to provide you with local resources in your area.


Also, 2-1-1 is a service sponsored by the United Way, and connects callers to information about health and human services available in their community. 2-1-1 referrals vary by community and you can get started by visiting to enter your zip code or by dialing 211 on your phone to be connected to the service. 

Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need to Know

AARP LIMITED TIME OFFER: Memorial Day Sale. Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term.

AARP Membership Memorial Day Sale

More From AARP