Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Does AARP ever respond to message board inquires about dramatic increases in AARP/Hartford premiums?

Periodic Contributor

Does AARP ever respond to message board inquires about dramatic increases in AARP/Hartford premiums?

I've seen many, many boards and messages complaining about dramatic increases in the AARP/Hartford auto and/or homeowners premiums. After three short years with a bundled AARP/Hartford insurance product (autos and home), I am now experiencing the same issue, with no viable or logical reasoning from The Hartford. So.... since AARP promoted this offer to me, I'm now asking them to help, advise, or, even better, intervene to help me and all of those so negatively affected. Here's hoping for a response and assistance.

Contributor

I signed up with Hartford last year because they offered me a great price. I was warned, by a friend, that Hartford had a bait and switch business practice. I didn't believe them but low and behold I just got my 2nd year premium notice, 25% increase, I have a perfect driving record after 50 yrs, and since retiring I'm driving 70% less. You would Hartford would give me "atta boy" dfiscount ??!!

Going back to old Insurance agency and letting folks know about the Hartford scam

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

While our programs are specifically designed for our members and are price competitive, there may be times when AARP-branded products or services do not offer the lowest prices available in the marketplace. Since everyone has their own specific product needs, we do encourage our members to shop and select the products that best suit their needs. We understand that competitive pricing is a major concern in offering products to our members. However, value, service and availability are equally important in the development of our programs. If you require additional assistance from AARP, you are more than welcome to call us toll-free at 1 (888) 687-2277 to provide us with additional information about your concerns and to request an escalation. From that point, you will be contacted by a representative within the Member Relations Team and they will contact The Hartford on your behalf to review your premiums further and provide full details. 

Contributor

I did contact Hartford Ins rep about my 25% increase and I received the most rediculous email and reasons for their increase. I'll forward you the email if you want it.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thanks very much. This is very helpful. Much appreciated!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Don't think that it is just AARP/Hartford that has premiums increasing - the cost of demolition and construction has increased substantially with inflation, plus the cost of everything that goes in a home - literally everything.  INFLATION.

Same with auto insurance - one has to be protected if they hit a $ 50,000+ auto and that's probably on the lower end of new car prices with all the technology - same thing with used cars they have increased in value due to supply and demand.

I don't have AARP/Hartford with all their "extra" benefits and coverage, and I know my homeowners has definitely increased in annual premiums and I have set my deductible pretty high.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Periodic Contributor

All a given and certainly taken into account prior to my posting. The current increases are well beyond inflationary rates and logic. These increases seem to be a pattern that, if you look through these boards, happen to many members after a few years with The Hartford. I'm an AARP member so that implies that I've purchased auto and home insurance for decades. I also understand the category in general and how markets shift due to myriad of economic and environmental reasons and events. I appreciate your feedback, but am curious what AARP's POV is on this product that they promote and the many complains about it that I've read on these boards. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

AARP has a profit making arm called AARP Services Inc.  - they are the ones that actually find these benefits and set up the deal.

AARP Services

AARP Services is a wholly owned taxable subsidiary of AARP and provides quality control on behalf of AARP for AARP-branded products. Through the branded products of our service providers, we make available new and better choices to our members. Among these are health and financial products, travel and leisure offerings, and life event services. AARP Services is where AARPโ€™s mission meets the marketplace.

You could contact AARP Services, INC.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/aarp-services-inc.?original_referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2F 

AARP doesn't promote any of these (name) holding benefits - they only make royalties off the use of their name/logo - Read the disclaimer.

AARP commercial member benefits are provided by third parties, not by AARP or its affiliates. Providers pay a royalty fee to AARP for the use of its intellectual property. These fees are used for the general purposes of AARP. Some provider offers are subject to change and may have restrictions.

Savings apply to home policies. The average home-bundled savings amount was calculated using the average homeownersโ€™ policy premium under The Hartfordโ€™s current home class plans when the home policies are not โ€œbundledโ€ with an auto policy from The Hartford, and applying an assumed 20% account credit discount. Savings may vary.

I am sure that you are aware that things like "disappearing deductible" makes the premium cost rise.

Where on the policy(s) are you seeing the majority of the increase?  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP