Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Contributor

Dennys and AARP ripoff

So AARP and Dennys claim you receive a 15% discount off your check. Well I beg to differ, this morning my meal was 28.41, so my discount should have been 4.22. I received 1.29 discount. When I complained to the manager, she stated we ordered a grand slam and they are already discounted? This is a constant ripoff to get AARP members in the restaurant and then they do not honor the discount. Neither Dennys or AARP will do anything to resolve this issue, so I would simply suggest cancelling the AARP and not visiting Dennys at all. We constantly get overpriced mailers from New York Life and The Hartford. They are not offering any discounts or cheaper prices. It seems AARP is simply taking money to offer an advertising venue for numerous firms with no actual savings for members!

Periodic Contributor

Eh....I tried Dennys for breakfast one early morning and got the Lumberjack giant breakfast.  Got the AARP discount,  but also got sick from the food about an hour later and was thirsty for nearly 2 days.   I gave them another try for dinner and got one of their burgers and received my special AARP discount,  but got sick about 2 hours later.... the burger had a very peculiar and gamey taste.   I don't like pan fried burgers.   I will not go there again and the place is filthy dirty. Going back to the nice diners in my area and pay a little more. I don't understand why AARP loves Dennys so much....ugh!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Which Denny's is this?

I definitely don't wanna get sick. 🤢 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hello @CraigR984798, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience at one of Denny's restaurants. This is certainly not the type of experience we want our members to have. We'd like to hear more about your experience with them. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. - Daniela R. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

The Anchorage Alaska Denny’s won’t honor the discount at all. They say “We don’t honor any of the Lower 48 discounts except the military discount.” I no longer go there.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

I'm sorry to hear Denny's denied your AARP discount, @ke6143. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please use the "CHAT" feature to speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ke6143 

Guess that’s why the AARP - DENNY’S discount specifies . . . AT PARTICIPATING RESTAURANTS.  

Wonder if there is a sign to specify one way or the other - anywhere?

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

I did not see a sign posted and when I was informed at check-out they didn’t point one out either. Need to ask upon arrival or call ahead. Not sure when they stopped participating, they used to.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@r446850g We appreciate your membership in the AARP family! I'm terribly sorry to hear about this and I hope that you decide to stick with us. Denny's excludes the following items from the AARP Member discount:

• Alcoholic beverages
  • Everyday Value Slam
  • Original Grand Slam
  • Merchandise
  • Gift cards
  • Orders made online

Your membership includes a long list of carefully selected discounts, products and services. Have you seen them all? I invite you to explore all of the benefits on our site here: http://www.aarp.org/LearnAboutBenefits?cmp=SNO-LITHIUM---&socialid=14036379546. If you'd like me to stop the mailings you receive from New York Life and the Hartford, please send us a private message or reach out here to have it processed: https://aarp.info/3epCObA. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything, we are here to help!  - Janelle M.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Seems you did get exactly what was covered in the discount - 

You have to read the small print on all discounts and special offers - sometimes the small, small, small print too -  This is true for most all discounts and special offers no matter who is offering them.  Always read the “details”.

The AARP and Dennys benefit - (copied and pasted)

AARP MEMBERS GET 15% OFF

EVERY TIME!

From diner classics to exciting new breakfast items, we treat our AARP members to a delicious discount all day every day. Available only to current AARP members and at participating restaurants. Excludes alcoholic beverages, Everyday Value Slam, Original Grand Slam, merchandise, gift cards, and orders made online. Not stackable or combinable with any other offers or promotions. Maximum discount not to exceed $10.00.

Dennys - AARP discount for members explained 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna

So simple on so many issues.

Read the terms and conditions folks.

I use my AARP often and many Denny's across the South and never had an issue.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP