Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Periodic Contributor

Consumer Cellular stay away

The pricing is very deceptive. I have a Welcome to Consumer Cellular information letter with my account number on it showing that my monthly fee before taxes, including AARP discount for 1 line is $47.50 with the 2nd line as Free.

My first bill is $65.00. That includes $15.00 for the 2nd line that is supposed to be free. Customer service is no help. Their solution is to drop down to a lower tier plan. 
I could copy the paperwork but there is no place or person to send it to.

The price I am paying is not even close to what I was quoted. I could have stayed with

T-Mobile at this price and had better cell reception.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Periodic Contributor

I was able to get a $14.00 reduction in the bill for a couple billing cycles. This is the best I could do. Truthfully this puts the monthly bill to about what I was originally quoted. It was the best I could do, a temporary fix.

It does not change how I view Consumer Cellular or how they do business.

View solution in original post

Periodic Contributor

It's not $55 a month as advertised for 2 lines with unlimited data.  It is advertised as 'no hidden fee's, but that hasn't been my experience.  I also was with T-Mobile and for what CC is charging me I should have stayed with T-Mobile.  T-Mobile does have better service.  Were you able to get this resolved with AARP?  CC is charging me approximately $70.  I opened a ticket with AARP several days ago and no resolution as of yet.

Periodic Contributor

I did not resolve the pricing issue after 3 calls to Consumer Cellular. Customer service is no help. Even offered to send the paperwork with a quoted price but there is no one to send it to.

Periodic Contributor

That was my experience too. It seems that no one on the AARP side or the Consumer Cellular side is looking to resolve this for the AARP community.  I'm hoping that AARP will step up and resolve this one way or another.  I won't stay with Consumer Cellular if it is not resolved.  I'm disappointed in AARP.  The last AARP associate I spoke to was not helpful.  Her suggestion was for me to escalate to CC management.  Seriously?  Considering that this issue is impacting several AARP members, why doesn't AARP step up and resolve it for its members?  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Same here. Signed up under the advertised $55  for 2 lines no additional fees. Then I get billed for $71, when I called they explained the fees and offered me an even higher rate. Fraudulent practice. 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@ThomasT474233  We're sorry to hear you’re having trouble with Consumer Cellular. We would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. They act as liaison for AARP service providers. Thanks for being a member!  Jodee R. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I've just called AARP twice to have someone at AARP tell me if the AARP55 benefit via Consumer Cellular is all inclusive.  They did not know and transferred me to Consumer Cellular.  I hung up and called AARP back and immediately told the representative to not transfer me to Consumer Cellular simply because I had questions about the AARP55 plan.  She also was not            familiar with the AARP55 CC benefit so what did she do?  Transfer me to Consumer Cellular.  Maybe the third time will be the charm?   

Community Concierge

I'm sorry to learn about your experience and am able to share more information. Consumer Cellular has an exclusive offer that includes unlimited talk, text, and data for 2 lines at $55/month with code AARP55. You can learn more, including policy and terms here - https://savings.consumercellular.com/aarp?tfn=8887267951 - Christy C. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I was able to get a $14.00 reduction in the bill for a couple billing cycles. This is the best I could do. Truthfully this puts the monthly bill to about what I was originally quoted. It was the best I could do, a temporary fix.

It does not change how I view Consumer Cellular or how they do business.

Periodic Contributor

I have reviewed the AARP55 plan several times.  It states 'no hidden fees' however I have a category on my bill labeled surcharges & other charges.  This is a hidden fee in my opinion.  What is the purpose of this charge?  I searched the offer for 'surcharge' and nothing was found in the advertisement.  I chatted with an AARP associate and he setup a ticket several days ago and I've yet to talk to an AARP associate.  I've been ghosted.  I've called Consumer Cellular more than once and no real explanation.  In essence how AARP55 works is they simply subtract $10 off your bill.  And it should be advertised this way 'get $10 off your unlimited plan for two lines'.  Period.  Because that is how it really works.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@ConnieD402815 

Can’t say exactly what these surcharges cover since I don’t have  CC but taxes and government mandated fees might make up a good portion of them or all of them. You may have city, state and county taxes based on the billing address.  

In some states, other fees get passed along on your bill  like 911 and the newer 988 for a suicide hotline. There maybe others in your area.  

A place to start would be what fees and/or taxes are mandated to be charged on your particular bill - I would think that these would be broken down at least in some respect.

There is also the Federal Universal Service Fund- All telecommunications service providers and certain other providers of telecommunications must contribute to the federal Universal Service Fund (USF) to support access to telecommunications services at reasonable rates for those living in rural and high-cost areas, income-eligible consumers, rural health care.

FCC.gov - Where your money goes - USF 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thanks Gail.  CC has a separate category on the bill statement for 'taxes' and another category for 'surcharges & other charges'.   The dollar amount on the latter category is higher than the taxes. The AARP55 plan is advertised at $55 and the tax portion is in the fine print.  However, there is nothing in the fine print about surcharges. Considering that is advertised as a 'no hidden fee' plan, it is deceptive. 

The sales person never spoke about these extra charges. Many on the AARP Community blog have complained about it and have stated that they feel it is deceptive.  

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP