Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Consumer Cellular / 4G-VoLTE migration; CC not helpful

Contributor

Consumer Cellular / 4G-VoLTE migration; CC not helpful

Hi,

I have a non Consumer Cellular phone which has 4G/VoLTE capability; UleFone Armor 7X pro.  I was sent a new SIM card in early March by CC due to the migration from 3G to 4G/VoLTE and after a few hours on the phone with CC finally got it working by the CC rep. twiddling a setting on their end that enabled 4G/VoLTE for my IMEI number.  Problem solved?  No.

Last Friday (4/22) the network settings got reset due to (or coincident with) an Android OS upgrade.  Since then I can get 4G data or 3G voice, but no 4G/VoLTE (depending on APN settings used).

Two calls to Consumer Cellular and using their recommended settings yielded an answer of "that phone is coming back as Device Not Compatible, you need to buy a new phone."  When I asked for a list of compatible phones, the CC rep. did not respond other than to buy one they sell (BTW, they also offer that you can bring your own unlocked phone and not buy from them, but that's what I did!).

An email to the phone's manufacturer yielded "Sorry about this issue, there is currently no way to solve this problem due to some policy changes by the operator [carrier, i.e. Consumer Cellular]. It is recommended that you use a T-Mobile or Verizon Wireless carrier SIM card."

My choice is an expensive one, change carriers or change phones, but there is no equivalent phone offered by Consumer Cellular.

What is implied by all this is the problem is not a technical one, but rather "policy".

Since Consumer Cellular is AT&T infrastructure, using AT&T is not a solution.

This may be where AARP could help; engage the Consumer Cellular on my (and apparently other member's) behalf as customer support does not seem to get more than an apology.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi @dm9849

We certainly understand your concern regarding your phone service provided by Consumer Cellular. We would be glad to work with the Escalation team at Consumer Cellular to have this investigated for you. To do this, please call AARP by calling 1(888) 687-2277 to have a case created. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thank you; case created.

Doug.

0 Kudos
Contributor

As an aside, does anyone have experience with Metro?  They seem to support my phone.  Underlying network is T-Mobile; I recall that CC used to use T-Mobile as well, but guess no longer true :{

Doug.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP