Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Cancel the Barclays Card

Barclays Card is vastly inferior to the old Chase Card especially in restaurant rebates.  Visa image is far superior to Mastercard.  Chase customer service is good and I have existing credit history with them--zero reason to start with another bank.  I can't see any reason to keep the Barclays Card.

Regular Contributor

I have never seen so much incompetence as was demonstrated by Barclay's and AARP in this hugely FAILED switch.   The Chase card was fine but apparently AARP SOLD its name to Barclay's along with millions of elderly persons who once trusted AARP.  I shredded the **bleep** thing--next up is the AARP card.

Regular Contributor

agree... I thought I cancelled my Barclays card this past weekend... Barclays sent me this message :

Thank you for contacting us about your AARP® Travel Rewards Mastercard® from Barclays.

We’re sorry to learn that you are considering closing your account.

In order to comply with this request, we’ll need some additional information. To make sure we close the right account, please respond to this message with the last four digits of the account number you wish to close.

Once the account is closed, we will not be able to reopen it. Although we would hate to lose your business, an email response is enough for us to complete your request. You may also contact our Customer Care Department to close your account. Our representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at <<Insert Number>>.

After we close the account, we’ll send a confirmation letter to the address on file, which should arrive within 7-10 business days. You’ll continue to have online access to our website, including viewing your statements, for up to six months from the date your account is closed and has a zero balance.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this message. 

Sincerely,

Customer Care

Then today I received this message from Barclays:
Thank you for contacting us about your AARP® Travel Rewards Mastercard® from Barclays.

We apologize as we have provided misdirection on how to assist you of your request to close your account.

In order to provide you with the most individualized service possible, we ask that these requests be made through our Customer Care Department. Please contact us at 866-677-1563. Our agents are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to discuss what options are available on your account. We apologize for the confusion, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this message. 

Sincerely,

Customer Care

Barclays customer service is not trained properly...
 SO I get to wait on phone for their phone center in whatever country
to pick up my call...
Regular Contributor

I am not at all surprised that a bank that cannot effect an orderly change or even manage their website to be relatively sane also has trouble closing an account.   Idiots. And AARP? Unbelievably greedy.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP