Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Budget Car Rental Didn't Honor AARP Benefit

Contributor

Budget Car Rental Didn't Honor AARP Benefit

I rented from Budget via AARP Travel powered by Expedia for my recent trip to Las Vegas. When I inquired about the free upgrade, they would not honor it. Only offered to upgrade at an additional change. I specifically booked with AARP for the upgrade.

We received a small Mazda crossover for four adults. It was a hatchback and our luggage didn't fit in the back area. Two people had to sit with luggage in the back seat. Extremely uncomfortable.

Possibly, AARP's small print may have stated benefits at the discretion of the vendor. I don't know, but I'm very disappointed in any case.

Hi Jake, 

I feel the same way. Don’t know it’s just Budget or other rental car companies too. I feel being cheated.

I just received my AARP membership and I was curious how much I could save by renting a midsize SUV in a place like Denver where we travel often. It turned out for the same travel dates, Budget gave us the price at $826 + change. That’s already discounted on the quote. Then I searched on Southwest Airlines website that I’m a member as well, the quote for rent from Budget is $547 + change. What the hell? I do know whether the vendors are fooling older people or what? That’s ridiculously higher… almost $280 higher, are you kidding me? What kind of benefits AARP could claim in this particular case, esp. on the unsuspected elderlies? I’m waiting for an answer from their PR or representative. I have the quotes from both to verify my argument. Let me see when I’ll get a reply on that. I’m kinda annoyed… might just cancel the card for a refund. 

Lewis

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

Hi Jake, AARP Member Benefits Team here to help. We certainly understand your concern regarding the service provided by Budget. While the free upgrade is based on availability, we’d be happy to forward your concern to the Escalation team we work with at Budget for their thorough review and investigation into why you weren't offered this benefit for free if you’d like. To do this, we will need more information. Please send me a private message in the AARP Online Community by clicking this link and entering my username, “AARPAngelaC” into the “Send to” box https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage
Please provide the following details in your message:

- Your first & last name
- AARP membership number (or home address)
- Best contact phone number
- Your Budget rental reservation number

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@JakeFrost  - 

Yes, there are stipulations - most likely the one that affected you was the "availability" :

an upgrade on compact through full-size car class bookings (based on availability).

Cars have been affected by the pandemic and this is continuing because of now related recovery issues.  Rental companies sold off lots of cars during the pandemic just to try and survive (some didn't) - now when they need more cars because of the recovery and people want to travel - there is a big shortage of cars - new and used  New cars are being affected by a chip shortage.  Rental companies as well as other sellers, have tried getting cars via the used market but there are shortage problems there too in good used cars on the newer side - used car prices rose 7% in the last quarter.

FORBES 03/11/2021 - A Car Rental Apocalypse Is Coming: Here’s What You Need To Know 

Maybe with time, all of these things will even out but it might take awhile - Do things actually go down after they have gone up - well sometimes when supply and demand shifts the other way.

There is a new player in town called Turo - I have just read about it - kind of an Airbnb-type service for the rental car area that lets private owners(host) rent out their own vehicles. 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JakeFrost wrote:

I rented from Budget via AARP Travel powered by Expedia for my recent trip to Las Vegas. When I inquired about the free upgrade, they would not honor it. Only offered to upgrade at an additional change. I specifically booked with AARP for the upgrade.

We received a small Mazda crossover for four adults. It was a hatchback and our luggage didn't fit in the back area. Two people had to sit with luggage in the back seat. Extremely uncomfortable.

Possibly, AARP's small print may have stated benefits at the discretion of the vendor. I don't know, but I'm very disappointed in any case.

💥@JakeFrost I am so sorry to hear this! 😞💥

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP