Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Ancestry.com discount

I currently have the monthly US ancestry.com subscription so I called ancestry.com to get my 30% discount.  What I found out is that the discount does not apply to the US subscription.  You must have the worldwide subcription.  Inorder to get "discount" my monthly cost would go from $19.95 to $24.45.  Sorry but I don't call that a discount but just another way to get more money from people.

Contributor

Just some more info for year 2020..

This "discount" is still pretty bad as of today.

AARP price is $209/yr for World Explorer membership.

Going straight through Ancestry's web site will get the same membership for $149/yr.

Probably the correct action is to pursue Ancestry since they are responsible for providing the discount and push them for a proper senior option, or at least remove the "deal" they offer to AARP.

0 Kudos
Contributor

AARP 30% Discount.PNG

https://www.ancestry.com/cs/aarp/members-save

required: AARP ID#

Note: Paid Monthly vs In Full 1 yr Options 

World Explorer $24.49/mo x 12 mos = $293.88 per year; that's $84.88 more than the 1 yr option of $209 ( which equates to $17.42/mo, paid upfront in full, for the year).

All Access $30.99/mo x 12 mos = $371.88 per year; which is $99.88 more than the 1 yr option for $272 ( which equates to $22.66/mo, but paid upfront in full, for the year).

Discounts as of 31 Aug 2022

0 Kudos
Contributor

The link is still Active as of June 2, 2023, with all the same info. HOWEVER, they disabled the subscribe button. If you call they say the All Access is $479, with the AARP discount it's $335.

They state the web developers haven't "updated it yet." Well, that doesn't sound truthful. I offered to pay $272, but they declined. Member since 2006, but... still just a guest.

0 Kudos
Contributor

yep, same thing happened to me.  I couldn't sign up via the website and when I called the phone# listed they tried to charge me the higher price.  I told them that I wasn't interested in signing up at a higher price than advertised, and I would only sign up if they updated and reactivated the link on the web page so I could see what I was being charged before clicking to finalise the deal.  I doubt they will.  I called AARP and told them that this link was no longer working properly, but whether or not they will do anything about it remains to be seen.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Solidarity! Thanks. I think it's a good thing, actually. I've explored some alternatives, and I think there are better ways than ancestry.com. Their business model is skewed. $272 is more than I pay for Netflix, or any entertainment service for that matter... and they won't even take it. Just 2 people they passed on over $500 in revenue. That's a weird thing for a business to do, for a fully digital product. I'll probably grab the lowest cost monthly (with a virtual CC), and then copy off all my sources and start new elsewhere. There are other good paid alternatives, as well as some solid free sites now in 2023. Even others that have the DNA bit. 

It's only 1300 people, how long could it take?

0 Kudos

Note that the cost of a yearly World Explorer membership is $149 for 6 months, not a year!

Periodic Contributor

I had an Ancestry World Explorer Membership that expired a month ago. I called to renew with the 30% AARP membership for one year at $209. The agent first told me I could do that online. Not so! Told her that the site stated I had to call them for the discount. Sounded as though she might be new at this. She placed me on hold while she checked it all out. I was asked if I wanted the U.S. or World membership. So, either she was mistaken, or it looks like they may have changed their policy about the discount applying only to World Explorer. I asked if this discount was a one-time thing. She stated that I could receive it again when I call for renewal next year. Also, I said that I did not want auto-renew. She said it will not renew automatically. I'll have to remember to check back before my next renewal to see it she is correct. The agent was very pleasant and I was not given a hard time.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

UPDATE!  I just received my email confirmation for the renewal of my 1-year World Explorer membership.  It states that my membership WILL automatically renew at the discounted (AARP) rate for one year.  After that year expires, any renewals will then be charged at their regular standard rates.  So, it looks as though the AARP discount is only good for the first year plus one year's renewal--total of two years.  Hope this helps clarify how this discount works. Even though I requested and was assured of no auto-renew, that info was incorrect.  

0 Kudos

I have been a sucscriber to ancestry on and off for over 10 years. It use to be a great org but has become a money maker. I also had a subscription that ended last month and had cancelled the subscription 2 months early. They gave me the date the subscription would end and not be renewed. Lo and behold I was charged the full world subscription price. This had happened before so I was watching it. I had the email showing the cancellation but the rep argued with me about cancelling it. Warning - keep tabs on this group even if you have cancelled your subscription

0 Kudos

That is a BARGAIN!!!! Do you know how much the WorldWide All Access plan costs??? If you had individual memberships to Newspapers.com, Fold3, and some of the others you get with the membership you would be paying a LOT more. $5 a month increase for what you get is amazing.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Discount or not, the charge for a year on Ancestry.com is crazy. Sure it is easier to do it at home and on their site, but there have to be way cheaper sites to get the information. They get their information somewhere and it is probally from public sites and paid nothing or very little for the info. I understand they had to create a database and be able to handle a large amount of people accessing that site, but like all that are complaining about the price, it is crazy. I figure I am in my 60's and if I dont know them by now through my family and relatives cant be that big a deal not to know. As for the discount i have complained many times how the attidude of those at AARP have changed over the years. I have been a member for almost 15 years now. I have attended one gathering put on by AARP, and the cookies and drinks were nice, but everyone there to take to us were dressed in very expensive clothing and i thought to myself, they cant be on the same level as all these seniors here in that clothing. Anyway that is another topic.

Contributor

same way with Travel. I get cheaper flights going thru Expedia then thru AARP 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Same way with ordering flowers. Requesting the AARP discount takes me to another web page where the prices are HIGHER than the regular web site and then the so-called discount is taken off the higher price -- so there is no discount at all.

Same at Dunkin' Donuts. I had been getting free donuts for years by buying a small or medium coffee, using the web address on my receipt to rate the donut shop and then bringing the code number to the counter for my free donut. Then I noticed the AARP "discount" but to get a free donut with the AARP discount required showing my AARP card before ordering and paying for a large or extra large coffee.
0 Kudos

Ancestry autromatically renewed me yesterday at the standard rate.  They refused to give me the AARP advertised discount of 30%.  Said their ad was in error and they have tried for two months to change it.  Present ad declares : "As an existing member of AARP and subscriber to Ancestry, save 30%"  etc. 

Contributor

I managed after 20 minutes on the phone "cancelling original account" monthly $45.99 going up to $49.99 in Feb 2022.  Opening new account with 30% discount making it $30.99.  I was charged on my checking account the discount rate.  Four days later received an email from Ancestry stating my renewal on Feb 5 2022 would be $49.99.  I got nowhere when I contacted them.  I use this website often, just hobby related.  But it is a lot of money monthly.  It's more than I pay for my phone or my TV.   Very discouraged that they told me it was for one month!   Not one year.

0 Kudos
Contributor

When I called to renew my Ancestry subscription I was told that it was a one-time only discount!  Nowhere in AARP's literature does it say that!  I wish I had found out before renewing my AARP membership!

Periodic Contributor

Ancestry.com (and a host of other sites) are now free for members of the LDS church.  The main LDS site is familysearch.org/.  The new free subscriptions are available here:

https://familysearch.org/partner/ancestry

And here:

https://familysearch.org/partneraccess

(LDS) Church members can sign up through FamilySearch for a complimentary Ancestry.com subscription.

For those who are not LDS church members, any of your family or friends who are LDS that are helping you on your personal family history, they can get the free access.

Contributor

Wondering why I even joined AARP. Certainly not for the discounts they alledgedly offer seniors!

Maybe just another scam!

0 Kudos

I certainly Agree with you!!
0 Kudos

Thanks for letting me know about this.  I was thinking about subscribing to Ancestry and wanted to take advantage of the supposed AARP discount.  Now I know not ot bother, much like just about every other promised discount, it doesn't give me anything that other memberships don't....like AAA.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Wondering why I even joined AARP. Certainly not for the discounts they alledgedly offer seniors1

Mabe just another scam!

0 Kudos
Contributor

If you think it is a scam, then you should report your thoughts to the Federal Trade Commission.

They handle scams, identity theft, stolen SS#'s etc.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Respectfully, this response is getting off topic. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

This is so true ... AARP Discounts aren't worth a thing!  All you see when you first get an email from them is to "RESUBSCRIBE."  I don't believe I'll be resubscribing this time.  I've been a member for over 20 years now, and AARP is just downright greedy now!

I have not found any worthwhile discounts from AARP. Nothing. A free donut With a Large drink at Duncan Donuts..........Gee Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos

You're right that is not a discount to me. What if you don't want the US subscription. I'll keep looking for a better deal.
0 Kudos

You  don't have to have AARP to get the 30% off!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@bb43123998 wrote:

I currently have the monthly US ancestry.com subscription so I called ancestry.com to get my 30% discount.  What I found out is that the discount does not apply to the US subscription.  You must have the worldwide subcription.  Inorder to get "discount" my monthly cost would go from $19.95 to $24.45.  Sorry but I don't call that a discount but just another way to get more money from people.

Is this an AARP discount? If it is, try searching for discounts, not connected with AARP. I have found that AARP discounts are regularly inferior to discounts from other sources. My wife recently got a "special" from Ancestry for $99.00 for six months or $16.50 a month. No AARP involvement.

If you don't find discounts from other sources, call Ancestry direct and ask if there are any specials going on.

Periodic Contributor

I am really disappointed, after the first year with the discount, you are back to full price.  Do they think people who are AARP members can all afford the full price??

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP