Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Ancestry.com discount

Ancestry.com discount

I currently have the monthly US ancestry.com subscription so I called ancestry.com to get my 30% discount.  What I found out is that the discount does not apply to the US subscription.  You must have the worldwide subcription.  Inorder to get "discount" my monthly cost would go from $19.95 to $24.45.  Sorry but I don't call that a discount but just another way to get more money from people.

Periodic Contributor

I was really disappointed also.  I tried calling them and was told once we use it, the discount is a one time thing.  I don't know who I should be more disappointed with AARP or Ancestry.  This was the only way that it was affordable.

Kudos
Views

Let's be clear - ancestry.com is an entity that cares as much about you and me as our current President or our former Speaker of the House. Simply put, they are oppourtunists. That said the content they have has some value - just nowhere near the one they mandate! They are pimps of information under a religious banner who should be ashamed of themselves. Hoarding to thwart others is definitely not a Christian trait.

Contributor

Ancestry.com is a business, and it's not religion-affiliated. I don't know where people get the idea that it is. 

0 Kudos

You have to use the link from AARP when you register for Ancestry in order to get the 30% discount.  I have used it.

0 Kudos

Is it good for only 1 year?
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

No. It states on the Ancestry site:  As an existing member of AARP and subscriber to Ancestry, save 30% on your next World Explorer renewal by contacting our Member Services. 

I previously had an AARP World Explorer discount and then upgraded to All Access when offered a special rate.  That year's subscription was near expiration. I called and down-graded to World Explorer and was able to again get the 30% AARP discount for the next year.

0 Kudos

It shows the discount when you go to billing to do your credit card...
0 Kudos
Contributor

I called Ancestry.com direct -- same as suggestion provided -- and the person was unhelpful and dying to get off the phone if I was not interested in signing up a full price. AARP says it is a 30% discount but to Ancestry.com it has many conditions and applies only to the high-priced plans that most of us do not need.

In my experience, Ancestry.com does not treat the AARP "discount" as anything but a come-on. They use it to get us on the phone and pitch for higher priced plans. This does not provide much value in relation to an AARP card.

At a minimum, AARP should clarify and state any conditions of this "discount" that apply. We are a natural constituency for a company like Ancestry.com. I don't have any sense that Ancestry.com respects anyone calling who states he or she has an AARP card.

Contributor

I was told the discount was already included

0 Kudos

I have a high-end plan and they told me that I'd have to downgrade my access to get the "discount". Bait and Switch, I say.
I've been with Ancestry over a decade, and my subscription expires in two week. Seriously considering cancelling.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I received an e-mail from Ancestry today letting me know that on August 21 2016 my subscription will be renewed at $299.  Whoa !  Not what I paid with the AARP discount in 2015.

Last year I read on the AARP site or newsletter that being a senior you are entitled to a discount. When I received my renewal email from Ancestry I called about the AARP Discount.  After talking with an agent regarding the AARP discount my subscription was reduced substantially.  I was told it is a recurring subscription amount every year after.  

Today after seeing the increase over what I paid last year, I phoned Ancestry.  The agent told me it was just for one year as an introductory offer.  I disagreed. I told her I was assured that this would be my subscription price since I am over 65 until I decided to cancel my membership.

I did my best to let her know that retired people with ample time to persue their ancestry hobby are the suscribers who make up the majority of the people searching for ancestors and don't have much income after retirement to afford this amount of money, especially since we the subscribers are the ones adding information that keeps people coming to Ancestry. (Of course I understand that there are costs in running a business)

This is especially irritating because all the information we add; Documents, Photos, Maps, Wills, Probate, Family Bibles, Vital Records we add to our family trees, creates documentation that Ancestry "re-sells" to us the subscribers.  I even volunteer to do indexing for Ancestry.com.

At the end of the call to Ancestry the agent offered me a 6 month membership for $99 that expires on January 21, 2017... and also wanted my permission to auto-renew at $149 for 6 months on that date.  So it is the same price... 6 months at $99 + the next 6 months is $149 = totaling $248.  

I told her I would accept the 6 months for $99 but NOT to auto re-new because I want to wait and see if there is a discount offered at that time.  She also advised me that I need to "renew" the day before the expiration date so my account would not be cancelled (to see if there are any discounts offered at that time) in January 2017, to prevent the auto-renewal of $149 for another 6 months. So, the price does not really change, they are just shuffeling the walnut shells around... we didn't make it to retirement age being this gullible and dumb to be fooled by this leaf giant. 

Contributor

You should definitately call AARP and let them know about all the trouble you've had with Ancestry. In my experience, they will make an external case, and work with the partnering company to fix your problem. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I just renewed with ancestry.com for 6 mos. with the AARP 30% discount. The trick is it will renew in December at the discount, but next June will renew at the standard price. The member has to call back before the yearly expiration to get another discount. Crazy, but that't how it's working.
Contributor

Exactly right...
Does anyone know if your can upload a Gedcom to FamilySearch.org. The idea being to get away from Ancestry and save your tree with everything you have added.
Contributor

I don't know but am also interested. Spot on about Ancestry.org charing users to upload docs, do geneaology work which apparently becomes Ancestry.org's proprietary information. Something wrong about that. First avenue to pursue with AARP for assistance? Second to chat with FamilySearch.org? When I cancelled my Ancestry subscription for lack of funds, was assured my file stayed available but it seems to be in a format I cannot use outside of Ancestry, but is perhaps accessible through familysearch.org. Perhaps we can connect directly and work out how to split this project up? 

0 Kudos
Contributor

They have been charging me twice a month and discount is already included BS

0 Kudos
Contributor

When I was paying the big bucks I downloaded all I could they better not try to bill me 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I found out there are lots of other sites without such fees. And they use same information. ancestry is just a bit too big now. FamilySearch.org is also based in Utah, linked to the Mormon data base, free.
And there is a lot of information on Ancestry that maybe error, so you have to do your research elsewhere, and apparently can be added to, and/or hacked by others.
Contributor

Not to get too far off topic but Family Search knowingly uploads incorrect info. I am not a member of LDS but I was doing indexing and several of my batches of work were corrected by "arbitrators" who were clearly incorrect in their reading of the files. I brought it to the attention of the person to contact and she said unfortunately there is no procedure for challenging their corrections. So I said you then knowingly will upload this info I just proved was false and she said yes.  I stopped indexing. There are mistakes in Ancestry but a ton more info seriously I have had memberships everywhere and if you are really serious about research it is the prime membership to have. Expensive no doubt but loaded with info.   I also ran into the renewal fo the AARP Discount deal being a one time thing. I find nothing in AARP I can't get elsewhere only joined for UnitedHealthCare plan that works perfect for me as opposed ot others

0 Kudos
Contributor

I just talked to Ancestry AND the 30% discount is only good for 1 year!!! Once the year is up the discount is no longer  available!!  That's a real bummer in my opinion.  I'm still a senior with AARP membership --- shouldn't  the deal last as long as my AARP dyes are paid?  Ancestry makes enough money that the senior discount should be standard!! 

Periodic Contributor

I just found out the same thing that after a year, no more discount.  I was very disappointed, is this true and can it be extended.  Those on a limited budget and this is their joy, are out of luck after a year.  So sad.

I also am bummed about ancestry. I just called to renew my membership and the best they can do is $249.99/yr. That's highway robbery.
0 Kudos
Contributor

After seeing this, I don't think I will subscribe to Ancestry.  I can't see any need in it after I find out what I need to know about my family.  I'd have the DNA test and that would be it.  I'll seek out a discount for the test...

Thank you for the heads up.

0 Kudos

That is still high, $200.00 a year. Why can't they come up with a deal for seniors?
Contributor

I think they should have discounts/deals for continued memberships.  Those of us who actually support Ancestry!!

Periodic Contributor

That would be wonderful and they would probably get more business.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

That would be nice!
But for now the 30% off my world subscription certainly helps.
Honored Social Butterfly

"....I have found that AARP discounts are regularly inferior to discounts from other sources....".\

Yes. I've found that too.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP