Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP should review Rental Car discounts

Contributor

AARP should review Rental Car discounts

I recently traveled to Seattle and needed a rental car. I shopped with the AARP discounted rates from both Budget and Avis. The rates, if they were not  discounted as claimed, and were higher than rates I could get shopping on my own through other car rental company websites.

I saved more money by using Expedia.

AARP should review the arrangements with these companies, and revoke their endorsements if the facts and promised discounts don't prove to be what is claimed.

K A Bolin

It seems as though AARP is taking advantage of older people. Using the AARP "discount"  code is twice as expensive than to go rent a car without a code at all.. I guess it seems that they can afford it so good reason to take advantage of them? NOT! It's pretty sad. 

Thank You for the review....I was about to rent through  my membership 

Regular Contributor

Hi @SusanJ577501! We are sorry to hear that you feel that way. Rate structures are similar to airlines' supersaver rates, with a limited number of cars available at each rate; when a particular rate sells out, the next tier of rates will apply. In other words, as the demand for cars grows, the rates gradually increase. This is why companies encourages each customer to book a reservation as soon as an attractive rate is quoted. It could also be a local rate offer that was lower than the AARP rates. Prepaid rentals also tend to be more. AARP can’t guarantee that our branded products and service will have the best rates in every possible situation. We do encourage our members to shop and select the products that best suit their needs. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

That is a ridiculous explanation. We just booked a car rental directly thru Expedia and it cost $200 less. There is no AARP discount, however it appears there is an AARP user fee to book thru them. 

I just received my AARP membership and I was curious how much I could save by renting a midsize SUV in a place like Denver where we travel often. It turned out for the same travel dates, Budget gave us the price at $826 + change. That’s already discounted on the quote. Then I searched on Southwest Airlines website that I’m a member as well, the quote for rent from Budget is $547 + change. What the hell? I do know whether the vendors are fooling older people or what? That’s ridiculously higher… almost $280 higher, are you kidding me? What kind of benefits AARP could claim in this particular case, esp. on the unsuspected elderlies? I’m waiting for an answer from their PR or representative. I have the quotes from both to verify my argument. Let me see when I’ll get a reply on that. I’m kinda annoyed… might just cancel the card for a refund. 

Lewis

Thank you for a Honest Review...I was considering this but I'm someone that reads reviews 

I also just became a member and found that 'discounted' car rental rates through AARP are more expensive (sometimes a lot more) than going through the car rental websites directly, Costco, etc. I feel very badly for anyone who is not computer and tech savvy who can't compare prices this way and who just trusts that this is the most economical way.

AARP, shame on you if you know about this, and if you do know, stop advertising it like it is an amazing deal - that smacks as fraud, and your members are in a vulnerable group ripe to be taken advantage of. 

Regular Contributor

Hi @LewisL643149. With Avis and Budget, AARP Members save up to 30% off base rates (for Avis & Budget), plus get an upgrade on compact through full-size car class bookings based on availability, an additional driver at no cost, and more. The AARP discount for Avis and Budget are indeed discounted as advertised above and on the AARP website. However we cannot, unfortunately, guarantee that rates in our programs will always be the lowest in every possible situation or compared to every other company. This means that while you may find a lower cost with another company, you will always get the lower cost and extra benefits included with the AARP provider program. You are strongly encouraged to evaluate and determine based upon your own needs and circumstances, whether a particular product is valuable to you. AARP’s endorsement of products or plans from a particular provider does not mean that the products or plans are the right choice for every AARP member, so we do encourage our members to shop and select the products and pricing which best suit their needs. While competitive pricing is a major concern in offering products to our members; value, service and availability are equally important in the development of our programs. I hope this helps clarify.

Periodic Contributor

However AARP explains it, it doesn't change the fact that it always costs more to book through them.

Contributor

I do not believe the rates are discounted. I recently booked a car reservation in Las Vegas. I then went through AARP Link and all rates were same. I also registered on Avis that advertised up to 30% of base and still same rates.

Retired Moderator

Hi @ddsbolinka, here to help clarify. With Avis and Budget, AARP Members save up to 30% off base rates (for Avis & Budget), plus get an upgrade on compact through full-size car class bookings based on availability, an additional driver at no cost, and more. The AARP discount for Avis and Budget are indeed discounted as advertised above and on the AARP website. However we cannot, unfortunately, guarantee that rates in our programs will always be the lowest in every possible situation or compared to every other company. This means that while you may find a lower cost with another company, you will always get the lower cost and extra benefits included with the AARP provider program. You are strongly encouraged to evaluate and determine based upon your own needs and circumstances, whether a particular product is valuable to you. AARP’s endorsement of products or plans from a particular provider does not mean that the products or plans are the right choice for every AARP member, so we do encourage our members to shop and select the products and pricing which best suit their needs. While competitive pricing is a major concern in offering products to our members; value, service and availability are equally important in the development of our programs. I hope this helps clarify.

Contributor

I've been looking for a rental car in Las Vegas and AARP discount is at least $100 more than going through other sites (some up to $400 more) . Also a couple of the locations are permanently closed. 

I too am looking for spring break.  Went to Expedia and the starting rates for searching on my own are about 67$ for a SUV.  When I plug in my AARP rates it goes up to 112.  Almost double.  Someone is clearly making money off of this.  

Regular Contributor

Hi @PeterM764417 ! AARP members save up to 30% on base rates at Avis and Budget, 5% on rentals from Payless Car Rental, and receive discounts from other car rental companies. Rate structures are similar to airlines' supersaver rates, with a limited number of cars available at each rate; when a particular rate sells out, the next tier of rates will apply. In other words, as the demand for cars grows, the rates gradually increase. It could also be a local rate offer that was lower than the AARP rates. AARP can’t guarantee that our branded products and service will have the best rates in every possible situation which is why we do encourage our members to shop around and select the products that best suit their needs.

Periodic Contributor

Well then AARP must have a lot of add on bonuses that cost more than base rate. Because no matter how you slice it, AARP is more expensive. That is the bottom line.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP