Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP needs new auto insurance company in Texas

AARP needs new auto insurance company in Texas

I received a notice of nonrenewal after many years, perhaps decades, with The Hartford through AARP. Agents whom I subsequently shopped with, for a replacement policy, advised me that The Hartford has been gradually pulling out of the Texas market for auto insurance and that they are using increasingly strict reasons for nonrenewal as a subterfuge for doing so.

In my instance, The Hartford cited three accidents over a 37-month period as their reason for nonrenewal. However, I was not at fault in two of those accidents. In one instance, I was sideswiped by a pickup truck that changed lanes into my lane, colliding with my fender. In the other instance, I was rear-ended. When I contacted The Hartford to question their assessment, they acknowledged that I had not been at fault but blamed their underwriterโ€™s guidelines (i.e., they are pulling out of Texas, one customer by one).

FWIW, I found a comparable policy with another company at a smaller premium than The Hartford had previously been charging me, anyway. So if AARP wants to offer an auto insurance benefit to Texas members, the time as come for you to change companies, too.

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

Hi @rf5131, you can always contact us for help if you have an issue with an AARP provider or benefit. AARP would be glad to help by reaching out to The Hartford on your behalf to thoroughly investigate. Please call us at 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277) or send me a private message and include the following information:

• AARP membership # or home address
  • Phone # and email address
  • Description of your issue
  • Please mention that you are requesting an escalation

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP