Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP United Healthcare Supplemental Insurance

Periodic Contributor

AARP United Healthcare Supplemental Insurance

Hello,
I appreciate, to some extent, the work AARP does to advocate for seniors and healthcare.  Even though this new legislation only applies to a few drugs; some progress is better than none.

I am VERY unhappy with the huge increase in the cost of AARP United Healthcare Supplemental insurance.  I chose this insurance because it carries the AARP name.  In fact, providers do NOT recognize the insurance I have if I refer to it as United Healthcare Supplemental.  AARP is the name this coverage is known by.  In 2016 I paid just under $149 per month.  In 2022 I am paying over $228 per month.  The difference represents a huge increase in cost.  My fixed income has definitely NOT increased by the same percentage.

I have written to AARP a number of times about this and have never received a reply.  Why doesn't AARP advocate on behalf of seniors who chose this insurance coverage because of the AARP branding and are experiencing unreasonable and basically ridiculous increases in the cost of that coverage?  What arrangement does AARP have with United Healthcare?  If AARP as an organization is benefitting from its connection with United Healthcare, why aren't AARP members who have an AARP Supplemental policy sharing in those benefits? 

I hope, this time, a representative from AARP responds to my serious questions and concerns.  

Marthanne

I agree, the PROPOSED RATE ADJUSTMENT REASON, has no merit at all. The Company makes money and the Q3 22 earning has been 5.43 with indication of Q1 23 of 6.25. The dividend is $ 1.43 going to $ 1.65. This means taking from the customers to give to the rich to get richer. Not just to get stronger. The profitability of UHCIC is DOUBLE  that of competitor like Cigna and Humana. No way should we be penalized when inflation is at 8.5% with little our Gov can do about it, unless we hurt more. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@marthanneandmarc 

I answered your query in your other post 

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Benefits-Discounts/AARP-and-their-benefits/m-p/2462004#M889 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I think they should hire an AARP Rep who specifically speaks with the AARP community online.  Instead of paying the other AARP employees the big bucks, let us advocate for a real person who responds intelligently to the AARP community to EVERY concern.   It cannot be that difficult as I am sure they all know how to use social media.  

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP