Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP UNITED HEALTHCARE MEDICARE SUPPLEMENT

Periodic Contributor

AARP UNITED HEALTHCARE MEDICARE SUPPLEMENT

Unable to get an answer or solution from United Healtcare about

1. Household or spousal discounts not being offered/ discontinued in Florida when they are provided to subscribers in many other states. I've spoken with the Florida State Insurance board who says that Florida has done nothing to prevent this offering. Many other carriers provide the spousal discount but I was trying to not have to switch insurance. Can AARP help to get this discount back?

2. Online payment - based upon security advice from AARP I've removed my payment info from being stored by my online service providers except UnitedHealthcare which seems unable and disinterested in complying with my request.. I've called, submitted service requests and have written them without results.. Can AARP stop saying UHC is a benefit since they continually fail in providing good service?  Can you get someone to fix this by removing my checking account from being a default payment option?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi there, here to help! We certainly understand your concern regarding spousal discount with UHC and your request to remove your checking account information as a default payment option. We would be glad to work with the Escalation team at UHC to have this investigated for you. If you are still having difficulties with UHC, please either give us a call at 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277) to request an Escalation or send me a private message in the AARP Online Community by clicking this link and entering my username, โ€œAARPMariamaAโ€ into the โ€œSend toโ€ box https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage . Please provide the following details in your message:

• Full name
  • AARP Membership # (or home address)
  • Phone # and email address to contact you
  • Description of your issue

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Are you really here to help? I looked for you user name in community and only found a trail of promises never kept and so I didn't reply to an unknown user name without any credibility.  Please stop offering to help when your only purpose is to make it appear that way.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi there! Here to help. Sorry to know that you are experiencing difficulties finding my name in the community. Please contact AARP at 1-888-687-2277 and you will be able to escalate your concerns with a live representative.

Thank you for contacting AARP and have a great day!

Thank you

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I assume that you are talking about a MediGAP plan - this is covered in this NerdWallet article 

NerdWallet 03/14/2023  AARP/UnitedHealthcare Medicare Supplement Insurance 2023 Review

There are lots of caveats - maybe there is one that is tripping you up - or maybe no discount is available in the area where you are.  

Availability of any discount is up to the insurance company.

Per the link:

Discounts

Here are several discounts AARP and UnitedHealthcare offer to some Medicare Supplement Insurance applicants:

• Multiple policies: Qualifying members can get a discount on monthly premiums if two or more members with the same AARP membership number have eligible AARP-branded Medigap policies. This discount canโ€™t be combined with the household discount.

• Household: Qualifying members can get a discount on monthly premiums if they live with another household member who is also an AARP member. This discount canโ€™t be combined with the multiple policy discount.

• Electronic funds transfer: Qualifying members can get a discount on monthly premiums for paying with an electronic funds transfer from their bank account.

Available discounts may vary according to factors such as your location, household status and how you apply for a policy.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thank you but I know the discount scenarios quite well. The Multiple policy discount was discountinued in Florida without any reason. I reached out to AARP thinking that it would be an advocate toat least get an answer why it's provided in other states but not Florida.  I'm forced to pay the combined amount, why not provide the discount that was being provided before my wife joined.

And as to the second security point?  Does AARP have any say in what this provider does to its' members?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Unfortunately, AARP is not an insurance company. The AARP branded Medicare plans are insured by UnitedHealthcare but have been reviewed and approved by AARP to be good and meet the necessary requirements. However, AARP has no control over the plans or the benefits thereof. The plan ad benefits are regulated by Medicare.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Another useless benefit AARP advertises. I will not be renewing membership as it has no value.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

AARP gets a royalty from UHC for the use of the AARP logo name - thatโ€™s it - 

At the Federal level - a MediGAP policy only does  certain things - it is GAP insurance that pays according to alphabet designated plan 

States have some control over aspects of MediGAP plans - but that is mostly for :WHOโ€ and when one can be eligible for buying or changing plans, if at all.

Unless you have some commitment (written) from UHC on the discounts and how long it may carry over, then just consider it as a marketing ploy - UHC giveth and UHC can take it away.

DISCLOSURE 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP