Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

AARP Smart Driver Course (Of NO Real Benefit ~ Don't Be Fooled)

Contributor

AARP Smart Driver Course (Of NO Real Benefit ~ Don't Be Fooled)

AARP Smart Driver Course (insurance discount) doesn't amount to anything worthwhile with GEICO, it would save me $65/year (yes, that's correct, a little over $5.00/month) on my policy. Do the math: AARP Online Course is about $30.00 (yes, it can be had for as little as $27.00) ~ so that means spending $30.00 to get $65.00 discount ~ what about the time I would have to invest ~ something like 6.5 hours. That brings the money "savings" to LESS THAN $2.50/MONTH. My time is indeed more valuable to me than that laughable discount.

Sorry AARP ~ it's time you figured out that insurance companies could care less about Senior Drivers and our Defensive Driving education...

Contributor

The AARP Smart Driver course discount is valid for three years so the course fee is per year is  1/3*$30=$10/year (in my state the discounted course fee is $27).  My auto policy lumps all discounts in one bucket -- Smart Driver, air bags, anti-lock brakes -- but does not provide a dollar amount  so I have no idea of the savings.  Still, my three years is up in a few months and I plan to take the online course as a refresher.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Good to know.  Kind of like Menards 11% rebates, not being worth the postage, gas & time to send them in. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP