Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What was Atari’s best-selling shooter game of all time?

Retired Community Manager

What was Atari’s best-selling shooter game of all time?

What was Atari’s best-selling shooter arcade game of all time? If you answered Asteroids you are correct! Released in November 1979, what do you remember most from that time in history?

Play Atari Asteroids on AARP Games today!

Ummm…. Sorry AARP, your answer is WRONG.

Asteroids only sold 4.31 million copies, making it #3.

Pitfall sold 4.50 million grabbing the #2 spot.  

And #1… by a mile.. is Pac-Man selling 7.81 million.

Source VG Chartz official industry sales figures 

Hi, @Swamptthing, thanks for your post, good catch! I made a crucial edit to include the word "shooter". Do you have a favorite among those three?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I would have guessed Frogger but Asteroids was a pretty good game too. 

Conversationalist

"Released in November 1979, what do you remember most from that time in history?"

November 1979 — The Iran Hostage Crisis! Every day, for 444 days, the evening news led with a graphic behind most anchors reading "Day 23," "Day 166," "Day 378," up until they were released. I was in grade school and didn't understand what was going on. But I remember the news coverage.

Control the spaceship to destroy asteroids and flying saucers in this classic arcade multi-directional shooter video game by Atari. Be careful not to collide with the asteroids that are all around you, and avoid counter-fire from the saucers. Play Atari Asteroids on AARP Games today!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP