Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Super Contributor

SLEEPLESSNESS WITH WEIGHT LOSS

I'm finding that cutting my calories even a little makes it very difficult for me to sleep at night. Though I feel just a bit hungry during the day, I lay in bed feeling very hungry at night and can't get to sleep. When I eat more, I sleep really well. OTC herbal and/or sleeping meds don't work for me when I'm hungry and I wake up with a bad headache and feel terrible all day. I'm not sure what to do, losing sleep feels very unhealthy. Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Periodic Contributor

@UpperHandsPiano Please understand that cutting calories is good but you don't want to cut your calories too much.  The number of calories you cut depends on your activity level.  I recently cut my calories from "I have no idea I'm just going to eat" to between 1300 cal and 1550 cal.  I have found that eating a small snack around 8 pm helps with the hunger pains.  One pointer I can give is if you are active just cut your calories to 1550 cal.  You don't want to create a calorie deficit by cutting too many calories.  I also recommend using an app to track both the calories you intake and the calories burned in your day, it will help you see if the is a deficit with the calories.  And with any weight loss plan they do have you increase your water intake.  And you are right not getting enough sleep does impact your ability to loss weight.  I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Periodic Contributor

@UpperHandsPiano Please understand that cutting calories is good but you don't want to cut your calories too much.  The number of calories you cut depends on your activity level.  I recently cut my calories from "I have no idea I'm just going to eat" to between 1300 cal and 1550 cal.  I have found that eating a small snack around 8 pm helps with the hunger pains.  One pointer I can give is if you are active just cut your calories to 1550 cal.  You don't want to create a calorie deficit by cutting too many calories.  I also recommend using an app to track both the calories you intake and the calories burned in your day, it will help you see if the is a deficit with the calories.  And with any weight loss plan they do have you increase your water intake.  And you are right not getting enough sleep does impact your ability to loss weight.  I hope this helps.

Super Contributor

Thanks @Firefly5150 

That is helpful. Is there an app you like for tracking calories?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

You're welcome @UpperHandsPiano 

I like MyFitnessPal.  However I started a fitness program that was offered by my job called Real Appeal.  They have an app for the program where I can track my food calories and fitness activities.  I have used MyFitnessPal in the past and it worked great.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Excellent, thanks! I think part of my problem was dehydration. I'm drinking before bed and finding that I'm not getting headachy. I hope this is helpful to others, as it took me awhile to figure it out! I'll try the app 💪

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP