Live Your Best Life With Rewards for Good. Start Earning Reward Points Now. Get Started Now!

Recognized Social Butterfly

I AGREE:: "Introduce Yourself" Board Needs Better Instructions for Use

Message 1 of 11

GailL1 - I totally agree with you.  The site is extremely confusing.  I would like to see members profiles and locations.  General topics are fine, but I'm more interested in the people who use this site.  It is apparent that many folks just get frustrated and disappear. 

GailL1 wrote:

Seems to me that the "Introduce Yourself" Board needs some further instructions as to its use and something could also be said directing new posters to the correct posting topic for a subject which they want or need to discuss.

If not, somebody needs to stay on it and move the subjects to the right area more often than is being done now.

Better yet would be an intro page, once they register, welcoming them and describing the basic make up and location of the topic areas.  Perhaps beginning with the 'Introduce Yourself" topic and then the highlights and location for finding the other topic areas.

Just a suggestion to help make the whole thing work a little better.

Report Inappropriate Content
Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: "Introduce Yourself" Board Needs Better Instructions for Use

Message 2 of 11

@GailL1  I read the post and Introduce Yourself is not the only one with problems.

In another topic/discussion a couple of days back there were three post with nothing written except for links. The topic was on posting gif images. I don't click on any links and these were made by members with only one or two post made by them.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 11

@GailL1 Yes, I've seen hundreds of questions from newbs followed by the community offering myriad answers, met with total silence from the OP. I suspect navigation is the issue. Seeing this time and again causes me think that email notifications should be automatically set to 'on'. I don't know that they are. I also think a greeting email with some basic how-tos would be a nice way for the site to greet new users. 

These misplaced intros have increased, largely, I tell myself, due to the Caregiving Contest/Sweepstakes thing that was going on in November. (Maybe it isn't over yet, dunno.) But yeah, what an odd thing that it happens so often. Interesting observation about the same sort of issue on a similarly organized forum. That tells me it is form. Good: that's fixable. Smiley Happy  I was previously wondering if it was frustration, as I recall not having the easiest time at first figuring out how to post a new topic. Indeed, I think maybe I posted an intro twice because of it. Another way to see this, as you have, is that posting as an Introduction is simply more convenient than finding the right forum. 

I have no knowledge of AARP tips for the site. (shakes head in dismay)  I shall go a-lookin. (How'd I miss that? Wonder what I'll learn when I find them..... weeeeeee! Smiley Happy)

Anyway yep: we're in agreement. More could be done to help newbs get their sea legs.

Thanks for bring up this important subject. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 11

@Epster

There many people who post on the AARP community in one area or another on a regular basis who do not know how to do a link or don't take the time to do it or don't want to do it.

You know that is fine for just talking but when you want to give info, a statement, statistic or numbers to back up what you are saying or just acknowledge that the thoughts you are stating are not your own - they should be doing it for their own respect.

AARP on this site has some pretty good "How To's" on technical matters - information is only as good as it's understanding, use, practice and relative easy access for reference.

I do not know why new people end up on the "Introduced Yourself" board - what directs them there.  We know everybody does not come in that route.  I don't know why people use that board to post other topics.

I, as well as you and others, have tried to alert the mods to move these off subject post to their correct subject board so they will get noticed but this seems to happen more and more.

So I can only conclude that something maybe lacking in direction and/or clear understanding of the various board subjects contained in the community.  These type of subject heads are much more visible on other types of discussion board types.  I have also noticed that another very popular board discussion by another group designed very similar to this one, has a lot of post ending up in the "General Discussion" area rather than the numerous specific boards which they also include in the board design.

So I don't think it has anything to do with being young/old, tech savy or not -  I think it has more to do with posting something in the most convenient manner.

I also wonder if folks have turned on their email notification on subjects for which they ask a question.  If not, they may not be able to find their original post if it has ended up on a wrong board.  But who knows, very few people actually respond to questions which they might ask.

All I know for sure is to help this whole community to flourish, it has to be simple to understand and move through.

Forget I even said anything, I am sure they can figure it out and you do a good job of helping too.

Message 5 of 11

GailL1 wrote:

@cat0w

Perhaps you might want to take a gander as to what people are posting on the "Introduce Yourself" board and how many things have to be moved to the appropriate place for others with like mindedness or questions and answers to respond.

http://community.aarp.org/t5/Introduce-Yourself/bd-p/IntroduceYourself

I Don't know why it is happening so I can only guess that they don't understand the "Introduce Yourself" concept nor do they see or perhaps understand the other subject areas to post.

Notice the subject topics seems to run the gamut from Caregiving to Politics/Current Events and recently a rash of song discussions.  All have to be moved to the appropriate heading if not, they just stay there with few or no responses.

Evidently instructions as to what to post where must be lacking.  

Perhaps a sticky with some clarification on what to post where could help on the top of the "Introduce Yourself" board.  

Just a suggestion 

Thanks for @GailL1  for bringing this up again.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 6 of 11

I'm trying to recall... is it that you cannot post unless/until you introduce yourself? If that's the case, then that may explain why so many ppl start out with non-introductions.

But I see the overriding issue as one of learning curve. It's not intuitive, I don't think, this website. At lease not the most intuitive. And even if you've been on forums before, they are all different, so that's only some help. I think we could do a video series (when I say we here I am talking admin rather than the members, but if that's in your skill set: please knock yourself out!) to help newbs figure out how to see, read, post, navigate as they like.

My bottom line: those of us who know how to navigate this system would do well to help out those who have not yet learned. We'll all be the better for it. Smiley Happy

And absolutely hat's off to @cat0w who consistently helps people with technical questions. Same goes for @Frozenoem and @DaveMcK with general questions. (Sorry if I'm forgetting anyone)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 7 of 11

Agreed, @GailL1. I've asked in the past what it is we do to help newbs gain forum skill.  Getting no real answer, I then created a few how-to posts aimed at newbs. They are here on this About Our Community forum.

Still, I post custom answers and suggestions/navigation links as a matter of course on the Introduce Yourself forum. That's not a complaint, just the truth.  This is also truth: I think we need to do more to help newbs gain skill. Doing so will only help this community flourish. Smiley Happy  I think we all want that.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 11

@cat0w

Perhaps you might want to take a gander as to what people are posting on the "Introduce Yourself" board and how many things have to be moved to the appropriate place for others with like mindedness or questions and answers to respond.

http://community.aarp.org/t5/Introduce-Yourself/bd-p/IntroduceYourself

I Don't know why it is happening so I can only guess that they don't understand the "Introduce Yourself" concept nor do they see or perhaps understand the other subject areas to post.

Notice the subject topics seems to run the gamut from Caregiving to Politics/Current Events and recently a rash of song discussions.  All have to be moved to the appropriate heading if not, they just stay there with few or no responses.

Evidently instructions as to what to post where must be lacking.  

Perhaps a sticky with some clarification on what to post where could help on the top of the "Introduce Yourself" board.  

Just a suggestion 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 11

As I see it, Introduce Yourself, is not that hard to understand. This is something I was taught at an early age, how to introduce myself to someone else and if more people were with me how to introduce them. 

There is a little more to it after you get into the business world and going out in the public. You have to tell more than just your name, most of the time.

Message 10 of 11

GailL1 wrote:

Seems to me that the "Introduce Yourself" Board needs some further instructions as to its use and something could also be said directing new posters to the correct posting topic for a subject which they want or need to discuss.

If not, somebody needs to stay on it and move the subjects to the right area more often than is being done now.

Better yet would be an intro page, once they register, welcoming them and describing the basic make up and location of the topic areas.  Perhaps beginning with the 'Introduce Yourself" topic and then the highlights and location for finding the other topic areas.

Just a suggestion to help make the whole thing work a little better.

Good suggestions!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors