Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What if we had no Internet?

Message 31 of 38

Instead of surfing, I'd be reading a book.  Instead of Facebook or email, I'd pick up the phone.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 38

I would probably go nuts!!! ☺ I'm a partially disabled housebound senior citizen. With the internet and my computer, I can do a great deal of armchair traveling. With the internet and my tablet, I've got a huge library at my fingertips. None of this makes up for human contact, however, such is in short supply during these busy times.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 38

Spend more time in the garden and on projects. I've been retired for 13 years and try to stay busy. I don't stay on the computer for hours like some of my friends do, I check it a few times during the day. I watched my dad sit down and watch TV when he retired, he had no real hobies, and he died young, at 77 in 1977. I swore I would never do that to mysef or my family. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 38
I wood sit back and relax and be content just like I used to do before the internet. Oh if only we could return to the 1950's and 1960's !!!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 38

AT&T had a system failure yesterday that lasted 12 hours and I was lost and depressed.  I have a of  international friends and out-of-state friends and my microwave died and I could not "search" for another.  Totally lost without it!  

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 38

My life sounds a lot like the first post. The differences are my first ATM card was known as a Gold Key card and I could only use it to get money at the ATM machines. The Debit card came along later and that's what I have now.

All my bills are paid by Auto Pay now and I pay off my credit cards that I use during the month when they are due using the internet.

Due to how fast the internet is now, at least for me, I don't spend as much time on it as I use too. I have Spectrum Internet Ultra with a download speed of 400 Mbps and upload around 22 Mbps. 

I do spend time outdoors but I also like to Ice skate and spend some time each week at the rink skating. I haven't played any hockey in quite a while but I do still own all my equipment.

I think I would be lost without the internet and my computers plus cell phone and get very bored. 

My Smart 4K UHD TV is definitely a huge difference from what I grew up with.

TexasFlagSmall

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 38

I think I pretty much still live like I don't have the Internet (and I've been online since 1983). I still don't have a cell phone, and I still don't have TV (we do Netflix and Hulu, sparingly). WhiIe I buy much of my clothing, shoes and such online, I still visit grocery and local stores in person.

The thing that has changed, though, is that rather than chat with others about which roofing service, or bank, I research those things online. And I do most of my reading online too.

My freckled forearms are testament to the fact that I get outside a lot, so I'm here to tell ya that yes indeed, it is pretty nice out there. Smiley Happy 

Have fun!

Epster, just back from competing in another senior games ... you guessed it ... outside Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

What if we had no Internet?

Message 38 of 38

Most of us on this forum should be old enough that we remember a time when the Internet did not exist - or at least, didn't exist for us.

What would you be doing right now if we had no Internet?

I met the Internet on a personal basis in 1995, when I started searching for new dates after my first divorce. I still checked the newspaper for yard sale advertisements when I wanted to go out on a Saturday morning looking for new treasures. I received live paychecks from my employer and carried them to the bank with my deposit slips. I wrote checks for my monthly bills and mailed them all out. With some, I had to supply the envelope; with almost all of them, I had to supply the stamp. I wrote checks for purchases at the store or used my credit card for larger purchases. I occasionally used my debit card at an ATM to get cash after banks had closed, but usually got cash back while depositing a check or got cash from a teller when the lobby or drive-through window was open. One ATM I went to would eat my card (just keep it actually) if I took the time to pull out my receipt first before I grabbed my card. It was that quick! I'd have to go back to that bank during business hours and get my card back.

Technological advancements became known to me from newspapers, magazines, or from others who had read those. Sometimes, television would have documentaries that showed some new technologies.

Without the Internet, I'd probably finish my breakfast and go ride my bicycle. I might do that, anyway. It looks pretty nice outside right now.

Enjoy!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies