Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What if we had no Internet?

Message 21 of 38

I use the Internet daily to conduct my business as an editor and book publisher. However, there are many things that I did prior to the digital age that I continue to do such as -- send handwritten letters and thank you notes, purchase stamps at the post office, read books with text and images that are printed on paper, use reference materials at the library, rely on a laundry list of phone numbers I’ve compiled, personally make appointments, walk into the bank to do business, call friends/family to express interest or congratulate them versus sending a text or email, and much more.

We have been led to believe that the Internet has solutions for every problem, users can access endless amounts of data and communication is much easier, faster. That’s good and bad. Conceptually, the Internet offered a wealth of information and yet personal privacy has been lost as well as the personal touch. Daily, we are at risk from cyber bullies, shady characters, power grid sabotage even security companies. If the Internet were to implode in the next few minutes, I would keep doing what I enjoy doing without it. Then again, I guess I wouldn’t be answering this question -- at least online.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 38

I would be reading a library book like I was until I took a break remember when our phones were attached to our walls not our pockets ,we all survived🌝

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 38

I’d be reading books!  What’s a book you ask?

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 38

I’d be reading books!  What’s a book you ask!  

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 38

This is such an EXCELLENT question!  

It points out that all of society (and even the 'older' among us) have become somewhat attached/addicted etc. to 'technology'!  I confess that I, also am attached to my 'devices' and use them probably more than is reasonable.  I confess I use a kindle, but still like the touch/feel of a 'real' book.

As a recently retired person, who had a very busy work life, I was concerned about what would happen once 'work' went away. 

I have discovered wood working as a satisfying way to use my 'free' time. THe appeal? Taking a raw material (i.e. wood) and producing something of lasting value, either for my children/family, or someone else. I analyzed this and realized it has the same appeal that my professional photography business had (I was a working 'pro' for about 40 years). Taking film/paper/materials and making someting which not only pleased me, but the client was immensely satisfying... again going from raw materials to finished product. Working in B/W especially was satisfying as that was the most basic of raw materials used to produce final, finished products. Hence, woodworking has become a new passion.

If anyone has read all above, I encourage you to seek out avenues which give some sort of lasting satisfaction not only while producing it, but also in the finishing of it. It doesn't have to be a tangible product--could be music/writing/almost anything--meaning one is only limited by imagination/AND bravery to venture into unknown territory as I did with woodworking!!1

Hope this encourages someone to venture forth!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 38

Reading a good book, studying the Word, doing a cross word puzzle.  I still like to do these things even with the interent

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 38

Reading novels, honey-do’s, and working out.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 38

doing my banking on paper registers.(archaic)

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 38

Hmmm; using the internet to discuss what we’d be doing if we had no internet? Anyway, there’s always the “Honey-do” list.

Kudos
Views