From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What if we had no Internet?

Message 11 of 38

Well, I was using what were called electronic bulletin boards with a Heathkit computer I built myself in 1982, running the CP/M operating system. Next came the first IBM PC and the MS-DOS operating system, but still no internet as we know it today. 

My first "internet" computer was an 80486 I built myself from parts I bought at a local computer show. We could exchange messages over the phone lines using modems; first 300 baud, then 1300, then 5600. There was still no public internet content at this point, the government used a system called ARPANET.

Once Windows 3.1 and the Netscape Navigator browser came about, the nacent internet started to become popular. Each version of Windows I used brought faster processors and faster internet connections. By 1997 with Windows 98SE and a DSL phone line connection, we could send email and download documents and pictures. 

Now with Win7 and Win10 and a fast computer there is not much you can't do on the internet. I wouldn't want to give up the internet because I use it for work and research. But if I suddenly was granted some mystic power I would get rid of Twitter, FaceBook, Instagram, and all the other social media that has brought bullying, shaming, toxic politics, fake news, and all the other anti-social behavior. It has also brought hacking, identity theft and other ways to ruin people's lives. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 38

I'd be reading a book instead of my Kindle.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 38

I would be doing the same thing I am doing now - volunteering at a disaster response site. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 38
  • I would be doing the same thing I am doing now-
  • volunteering for disaster response in the Carolinas 
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 38

I would be doing more constructive things if there were no internet.  I sit on the computer for hours at a time and do nothing else.  I get up in the mornings and the first thing I do after I put my coffee on is go to the computer.  Sheesh....

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 38

I would create all kinds of crafts like floral arrangements, sculptors and painting. I would dance more and I still would not like talking on the phone. I would absorb culture and anything of interest. But I am that way now.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 38

Hello, my name is Katie and I think the internet was a great invention for our generation (I'm 51) . But I also think the younger generations got spoiled and violent. For instance the terrorists use it to draw kids n others in. That's violence. Kids play violent video games on there. They should be camping or fishing or outside riding a bike. I mean kids should be kids. Sometimes I wish we never had it.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 38

Read real books,write poems, watch more news on tv than I do now, watch tv programs on an actual tv,puzzles, get outside more...but most important of all...actually spend more time encountering and talking to other people face - to - face!!!  Oh, and actually write letters ans send via snail mail. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 38

I'd either be counting my toes or twittling my thumbs or doing some other monotously repetitive thing to while away the time....over and over again....time after time.....ad infinitum.....:

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 38

i would of get a lot of things done!!!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors