Join the Town Hall on Turning Your Passion into Profit at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Link Target

Message 1 of 5

If using Windows a person should be able to do a right click on a link and choose Open in new tab or Open in new window. See image below.

AARPOpenInTab18.JPG

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 5

@GailL1  Completely agree with you. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 5

Epster wrote:

@GailL1  No, no I cannot. That being said, I have read a number of articles about online publishing and such that stated that opening a new page was 'unfriendly'. I disagree, so have long broken 'protocol'. Smiley Happy

While that might be true, I don't see how opening a link in the current page or a new page would make any difference with the safety or friendliness of a page.

Most people should be running antivirus programs that indicate a bad site OR at least they should be running periodic scans to quarantine anything they might have picked up traveling around .

Whoo - sounds naughty ! Woman Wink

Another thing, we can all hover over a link to find out the source - I trust certain sites more than others.  If I am gonna link it, I try my best to make sure it is safe.  But with hackers, ya never know even about Social Security sites, Medicare, other government sites.

I think it would be more about the functionality of this board.  I just answered a question on the Social Security board and gave a couple of links to Social Security pages and I forgot to change the link target to new page and had to go back and do it because it was important for him to understand (and see) both of these pages together. 

Then there are sometimes embedded links which have to be considered - all the way around to me, the default should be open in a new page.

But this is not my site - so the powers that be have to decide.  I just recommend as I see it.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 5

@GailL1  No, no I cannot. That being said, I have read a number of articles about online publishing and such that stated that opening a new page was 'unfriendly'. I disagree, so have long broken 'protocol'. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Valued Social Butterfly

Link Target

Message 5 of 5

Thanks for restoring the Link Target options -

Open in Current Page - default

Open in New Page

Gonna take me a while to remember it is there -

However, for simplicity, I am wondering if the default could not be switched.  Making Open in New Page the default?

If somebody is on this forum - they may want to reference the whatever comment while they are viewing the link.  So I think Open in New Page would be the better option of default.

I cannot think of any reason why Open in Current Page would be the better option - can you?