Contributor

Free gift

i did not receive my free gift for signing up for AARP membership for my husband and myself. 😞

Retired Community Manager

@GaryC35205 @SheilaM308610 @SandraH160021 

With the product being made from fresh materials and in a sealed mailer for many months, it is possible for the paper board to release some of the new product scent. We are aware of the concern and will now add a silica pack to the package to help eliminate/minimize any scent.  

I also renewed (for 5 years!), and eexpected the messenger bag. I emailed them, and was told to called membership #. I did, and they had no record of me signing up for the gift, or that any was sent out. I thought, 'what, do they think we're old, and our memories are failing' (that would be kind of sad, right?). After I explained the notees on this forum, of 'bait and switch' events, I insisted that I get the messenger bag (which looks good in the ad, but, who knows), instead of the cheap travel cubes (I have nice ones from Eagle Creek, and I suggest you all use them, as they make dividing up different types of the travel clothes (sox & underwear in the small one, etc) easy and useful.

The young man said the messenger bag was now in the system, and I should get it in 3-4 weeks.

Don't let the system take advantage of you.

0 Kudos
Contributor

FYI   I received my Insulated Trunk Organizer on today and it looked and felt pretty cheap.  That was okay I really don't expect much from these type of promotions anyway but the smell was so bad from the thing I had them put it outside. I didn't know what it was at 1st but my daughter came by and also smelled it and found it. She said it smelled as if someone had pooped inside.  (Doesn't look that way but...) All I know is that it STANK.  I hope yours is better!

I’m glad that I’m not the only one. This bag smelled awful! I had to remove it from my house to my car. I couldn’t take the smell in my car so I brought it back in washed it with bleach and soap, let it soak, then rinsed it out and dried it out. No luck. Threw it away. Smelled like fresh manure!

I received trunk organizer baga few weeks ago and I told my daughter that it reminded me of the Franlin Park Zoo which I used to visit when I was growing up.  I was hoping that after I took it out of the box the odor would shortly go away, but finally I put it on the back deck to air out.  After about 2 weeks the odor is finally starting to dissipate, but I don't know if I want to take a chance bringing it back into the house. What a way to welcome someone into AARP.

Contributor

Same here

Kudos
Views

@SandraH160021 

We strive to provide quality products and understand your disappointment. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. Thank you again for bringing this issue to our attention

Contributor

I got our free "gift" today. Must be worth 10¢. Some crappy little nylon bags with zippers. These things are so cheap, AARP didn't even place their logo on them. No note, instructions, directions, or even a "thank you" enclosed. It was kind of an insulting gift. Then, I see on this forum that some members got actual gifts for joining.

0 Kudos

I've been trying to figure what to call those 'crappy little nylong bags.' Thanks, I've wracked my brains trying to figure out what the bags were for. Fortunately, my membership in AARP is not because of their gifts. I guess I feel bad that they wasted the postage to send them to me.

Contributor

I actually received my free gift in the mail today.  I am just not 100% sure what it is at the moment. I did a quick search online to see if there a picture and description of it.  However, nothing found on recent search.  I can tell that it some type of organizer to say the least.  Which I am appreciative and definitely will purpose it to use for my trunk in the car.  This will deifnitely help ensure things are not shifting and enjoy when there is organization any and every where.

0 Kudos

I got one too and found this picture of a trunk organizer. 

Contributor

Thanks, now I know what it is!

0 Kudos

Me either! Second time too!!

0 Kudos

Leroy And I haven't received both of out gift and our books yet

0 Kudos
Contributor

I received renewal info by mail, with big photos of a 4 piece travel kit renewal gift ... I paid for a 6 year renewal in early November .... No Gift .... very disappointing

Regular Contributor

I call AARP when I'm having problems, whether it's not receiving the gift offered for signing up/renewing membership, issues with the Rewards for Good program (they have a different phone number than AARP membership), or anything related to membership.  They have always been friendly on the phone with me, and very helpful as well.  Don't be shy about calling them, they provide a phone number to help you if you need it.  Look on your AARP membership card, the phone number should be on that card.  They can't read our minds, we have to let them know what's going on.

My wife and I recently signed up for two years and were told we would receive a free gift. A few weeks later we did get a bluetooth speaker in the mail, however it doesnt work, but it was a nice gesture.

Kudos
Views

Hi,

I received the little red speaker. The controls and lights work, however there is no sound coming from the speaker. Are you having the same issue or something different?

It connects fine to multiple phones, the controls changes the music but there's no sound.

Same here. Just got my bluetooth speaker that plays no sound. Does everything else but no sound.

What is worse is that I see everyone's posts and no response from AARP and they host the forum. Disappointing.

Regular Contributor

I am hoping to be able to help out with your bluetooth speaker problems.  You are trying to link it to your phone and play music from that phone?  Make sure the volume on your phone is turned up if you don't hear anything from the speaker.  Also make sure you don't have the ringer turned off on your phone.  If you are still having problems with it, go into your phones settings and look to see that it has definitely linked with that particular bluetooth speaker (this is especially important if you have more than one bluetooth speaker, and even more important if more than one bluetooth speaker is turned on at the same time).  I hope I was able to help out with your bluetooth speaker.  I've got my fingers crossed.

Contributor

I have bot recieved the gift ??

0 Kudos

I recently joined, after receiving numerous offers by mail.  I saw that there was a gift for enrolling, I requested the messenger bag, but today I received 3 “small” bags.  They look nothing like the picture..  this really seems deceptive to me and makes me a little leery.  If they’re doing tricks like this, what kind of service can I expect from them?????

I renewed my membership with AARP because of all the advantages the membership gives me. I didn’t realize there was a “gift”. I received a text the package was on it’s way with a tracking number attached. I just received my package and it’s really appreciated. I’ve never had a problem with AARP and really don’t subscribe for any gifts except for the benefit of discounts membership offers. Thank you for this unexpected bonus. 

Kudos
Views
Contributor

Yes I retrieved it.
Contributor

How do I recognize which is the  original question post? Several people are complaining about their free gift experience in middle of the thread, and there seem to be answers at both top and bottom of the thread.

0 Kudos
Contributor

We just renewed our membership for another 5 years and got a congratulatory e-mail saying that we should be on the lookout for a free gift that would be arriving shortly. It arrived the other day and appeared to be a set of small nylon bags of some sort that their practical use isn’t at all obvious. There was no explanation of the gift or what they are or how they could be used. That should be corrected. Can you provide some helpful info before these unusual ‘gifts’ end up in the recycle trash?

0 Kudos

I also renewed AARP yo job for the next few years and recieved bags that I have no ideal what they are used for.  Come on I seen so many more better being given by AARP.  It really looks like something the kids can use at school. What are they supposed to be used for. Or can you send something else.  This was kind of a put down gift. Not very inviting. Not something I would like to show off yo friends who may want to rejoin.

I received a gift after renewing my membership.  The good is I did receive a gift this time.  The bad is I did not receive the gift I was expecting.  In actuality I don’t have a clue to what these zipper sleevelike items are.  What happened to my tote?  

0 Kudos

@a460616l You can write Membership at member@aarp.org. They will be able to help you and send your tote.

0 Kudos