Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

DOES ANYBODY ELSE FIND IT UNUSUAL THAT AARP...........

Honored Social Butterfly

DOES ANYBODY ELSE FIND IT UNUSUAL THAT AARP...........

.......headlines the upcoming elections "VOTES OF WOMEN 50 AND OLDER COULD DECIDE 2022 ELECTIONS" on its website but we are not permitted to discuss that subject on their website. It is very confusing to me.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi @nctarheel 

It does seem inconsistent to belly-ache about the format, but not try to participate constructively.  Are you confused by AARP's choices about where comments are posted or upset because there are too many babysitters there?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@EricC28201I am not sure of your point. I am not belly-aching. I am merely pointing out that political discourse is allowed on one part of AARP's website and, on another part of the website, it is not only taboo but it targeted with punitive actions. What do you mean "participate constructively"? If you are not allowed to engage in political discourse, what type of participation is there? I really don't understand the point of your response.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

There is a comment section at the end of the website article - just scroll down to the bottom of it and post away.  You can join the conversation and follow it.

https://www.aarp.org/politics-society/government-elections/info-2022/poll-women-voters-midterm.html 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Honored Social Butterfly

You are so right, @GailL1. Then my question morphs into... "Why do they allow POLITICAL DISCOURSE relative to their headline article but allow NO POLITICAL DISCOURSE on the discussion boards." Same organization, same website.

Honored Social Butterfly

@nctarheel wrote:

Then my question morphs into... "Why do they allow POLITICAL DISCOURSE relative to their headline article but allow NO POLITICAL DISCOURSE on the discussion boards." Same organization, same website.

Because they are different types of discussion or comments with a different focus.  

This [community] is changing - I'm sure you have noticed - look at the list of Forums here and the order in which they are currently in on the dropdown box.  See the new priority?

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Regular Social Butterfly

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! @GailL1 WRONG!

While we're changing, we're not stupid. Anything not allowed here should not be fodder for the press!

"enuf said"

cc: @nctarheel 

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

Then my question morphs into... "Why do they allow POLITICAL DISCOURSE relative to their headline article but allow NO POLITICAL DISCOURSE on the discussion boards." Same organization, same website.

Because they are different types of discussion or comments with a different focus.  

This [community] is changing - I'm sure you have noticed - look at the list of Forums here and the order in which they are currently in on the dropdown box.  See the new priority?

While I understand what you are saying, the point is still that the AARP website operates under two different policies. One, the comments related to headline articles where it seems that discourse is allowed to flourish with little to no "MODERATION" and then there are the discussion boards which seem to be heavily "MODERATED".

As to your pointing out of the community changing in regards to the list and order of the forums, other than the first two forums are related to entertainment, I am not sure of your point.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP