Can blue light from your phone cause vision problems? Find out and learn more about your vision in the AARP Eye Center.

Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Re: Consumer Cellular NOT Necessarily the Best Choice

Message 11 of 20

Right on daviscave.  I chose to go with Great Call and their 5 star program.  I get emergeny service 24/7 and 200 minutes for less than I was getting from Consumer Cellular for the same minutes.  The last two phones I got had problems and I got nothing from Consumer Cellular customer service.  I could never get anyone to answer the phone.  After trying for two months to get my phone replaced or repaired while it was still under warranty I was told that I was out of luck.  This was backed up by AARP and they told me that I would get my last bill returned but  no phone replacement.  I have cancelled all the services that I got through AARP's recommondation. Consumer Cellular, Hartford Insurance, and United Healthcare.  Hartford raised their auto insurance by 46% this year and my driving status has been the same for fifty years.  United Healthcare the same and I found that I saved over $2000 a year with HealthNet and of course Consumer sucks.  I am waiting now to hear from the FCC because knowing that AARP wouldn't be any help.  Thank for letting me vent.

CrankyOne
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 20
I think the Straight Talk plans are for 1 phone, so for 2 phones, you have to double the monthly rate. I am currently with Verizon and they have a plan called the Verizon small plan, unlimited talk, and text with 2 GB of data for $ 80.00 a month for 2 phones. I am considering Consumer Celluar, $52.25 a month for 2 phones with unlimited talk and text and 3 GB of data. Their coverage in my area is about the same as Verizon.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 20
Well said, rker321. Your opinion is relevant and you have the right to express it.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 20

@southcoastCR wrote:

WHY are you even replying...which then clutters my email inbox with notices?  In the original posting, reference was clearly made to data usage and that CLEARLY entails smartphone usage.  The original comment obviously does not apply to everyone, and does not apply to those using phone only.  Please reply to postings...as relevant.

I am extremely sorry to have offended you. but I felt that my opinion was relevant. and I do believe that I have the right to express my opinion. You can also use the ignore button or simply schrol to messages that you don't wish to read.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 20

WHY are you even replying...which then clutters my email inbox with notices?  In the original posting, reference was clearly made to data usage and that CLEARLY entails smartphone usage.  The original comment obviously does not apply to everyone, and does not apply to those using phone only.  Please reply to postings...as relevant.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 20

I don't doubt that consumer cellular is not for everyone. I have found out that no cell company is good for everyone either.

So, I guess that it depends on your own expectations.

For us, is great. we don't use Smartphones, at all. we only use our cell phones to call each other when we need to or have our out of state family contact us. and they usually do it on our land line.
I am very computer savvy, and I have in my home several computers in a network so is not a matter of lack of technology.
Have also tablets for when I need to use them. 
Don't want to be constantly connected thru my phone and that is my choice.

so, I guess that people need to think about what are their needs and then choose the company that can supply those needs.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 20

For those that may want to go the Wal-Mart, Straight Talk way. This is thru Tracfone.

I have this, have had it for several years now and I am happy with it. My plan is unlimited talk, text and data, first 5GB of data at high speed and then at 2G. I pay $50 every 30 days. I have my own phone Samsung Galaxy S6. So far this month I have only used 94 MB of data. Calls etc. are thru Verizon. I can watch the NFL games on my phone without any problem.

See a couple of example images below.

Click on, tap or activate images to enlarge them.

StraightTalkA17.png

StraighTalkB17.png

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 20

Agreed. I use Tracfone with an Andriod Smart phone. My cost is about $7/month for 90 minutes. My phone came with triple minutes for life voice and data.My phone was $89 for a Samsung Galaxy 3G. That phone can now be purchased for around $50.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 20
Of course there's a great financial arrangement between AARP and consumer cellular or any other advertiser for that matter. Consumer Cellular is not the least expensive phone service nor as good as others. I've been using Tracfone for years now and would not give it up. I pay $11 a month and get more minutes, data and voice than I can use in a month. What I don't use rolls over to the next month and so on ad infinitum. Service and coverage are great just about everywhere and sometimes better than the big companies. I'm in business for myself and use the phone quite a bit.
Don't be fulled by AARP's questionable alliances. I had to investigate insurance companies also. Do your due diligence before signing up with anybody they recommend. Remember AARP is deeply entrenched in the Washington bureaucracy, also.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Consumer Cellular NOT Necessarily the Best Choice

Message 20 of 20

I don't know if there's some financial arrangement between Consumer Cellular and AARP, but we (folks over 50) are clearly targeted by Consumer Cellular.  I WAS one of those people whose monthly bill, as advertised on television, was just under $25...with very a limited data allowance.  Out of town at a hotel I attempted to connect to the hotel's free wi-fi.  Having difficulty (NOT a Consumer Cellular issue), I gave up after about 45 minutes.  I came to discover that I had used ALL of my allowed data trying to connect and I was bumped up to the next higher plan to cover this data usage.  That also was not really a problem for me.  So.....My Point:  I was paying just shy of $25 per month and it was pretty easy to use up my allowed data.  After my hotel experience I dumped Consumer Cellular and I am now with Cricket Wireless.  I pay a total of $30 a month, which includes all taxes and fees, and I have unlimited data...1GB at high speed.  Bottom Line=For only $60 more a year I will never have the hotel experience again. 

Kudos
Views
Replies