Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Consumer Cellular NOT Necessarily the Best Choice

Message 1 of 20

I decided to leave CC because I was also given erroneous information. This happened in 2018

I was planning a trip to Europe and I  understood that they did not service outside the USA. My plan was to have them open my phone so I could use a SIM card that would allow calls in Europe. They refused because I had not been with CC long enough to allow that( I already owned my phone when I signed on with them). “But” said the customer service provider, “if I switched from an AT&T SIM card to a T Mobile card SIM card I could get a plan that would work in Europe. Which I did. You know what’s coming. It didn’t work. It was a HUGE inconvenience. If you like to travel outside the USA, CC is not the plan for you. 

Other carriers have wised up to the “older generation” market and I HIGHLY recommend checking out what’s on offer out there. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 20

if anyone has a similar problem with a blackberry, it turns out I just needed to fix my APN settings but none of the 3 customer service people i spoke with told me that. Apparently it is somewhere in their FAQs. Consumer Cellular doesn't seem to train its staff too well despite bragging about customer service. they lost me as a customer.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 20

I received abysmal service from Consumer Cellular.  I decided to add my phone to my son’s plan. It turned out I could not get a data connection with my phone and CC refused to give me a refund, even though based on the incomplete and misleading information on their website I had every reason to believe my phone would work.

I have an unlocked Android GSM phone (Blackberry Priv) that I was using with Straighttalk with AT&T as the underlying carrier. According to the website that was all that was required.  I have used SIM cards with this phone on three continents. The website says:

“With our FREE SIM card, you can connect a device you already own to Consumer Cellular service. To be activated on our service, your phone must be unlocked by your previous carrier, and be compatible with GSM network technology. Our SIM card most commonly works with phones used on AT&T or T-Mobile service.”

When I discovered my data connection would not work (phone and text did, although not text with images) I called and the rep told me that her internal documentation said there was often a problem with data with Blackberries and another brand. Why is this information not on the site? I asked for a refund for the SIM card and the $15 monthly fee for an additional line. The rep told me that wasn’t possible so I asked to speak with her supervisor who kept insisting I didn’t warrant a refund because I had “used the service”. I repeatedly told him I had “used the service” based on the incomplete and misleading information on the website.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20

Sounds like you're not the only one with this problem. There are a number of alternatives depending on your needs (such as just calls vs. calls & Internet). You definitely want to shop around. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 20

AARP should reconsider their sponsorship of Consumer Cellular. I had the same problem others describe: Voice service just stopped working. No voice calls in or out. Three contacts with CC Customer Service did not solve the problem. It was only by reading this forum that I realized the real problem was their network. Meanwhile, CC Customer Service sent me to a service appointment for my phone at Target where they told me the CC service tech position had not been filled for weeks. I ended up having to go with a different provider, including getting a new phone. Moral: Although CC is a communication company, both phone service and customer service from them fell apart spectacularly. I was without voice phone service for seven days while attempting to go through CC to resolve the issue. Finally switched to a different provider. Meanwhile, CC continues aggressive advertising in this market. AARP, are you listening? 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20

Read with interest the posts since we are having trouble with consumer also (through AT&T). A friend has cricket and likes it but I have no first hand knowledge. I'm commenting on an earlier post favoring tracphone. We bought one for an exchange student some years ago and it worked fine here in Portland. When it was time for her to go home we thought it would be nice to be able to use her phone during her travels and possibly at home. We loaded the phone at Radio Shack (they were still in business then) and ask the salesman if the service was good in Macedonia (the exchange student's home). He called tracphone to be sure and they assured him that she could use it ANY WHERE in Europe including Macedonia (I listened to the conversation on speaker). The student returned home and the service wasn't available. We went back to Radio Shack and the clerk again called tracphone to ask why. Tracphone refused to admit that they had given us misinformation and of course NO REFUND ever (again on speaker phone so I know what was said by both parties). Tracphones may work here in the states but don't leave country and don't expect customer service.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20

Yes!  The lack of transparency by Consumer Cellular almost feels like the MCI meltdown!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 20
I am experiencing the same problem. Cannot make outgoing calls and can no longer log onto the website. Text still works. You would think they would post something about having difficulty. 
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20

Same problem here with Consumer Cellular at 0630AM Arizona time, 06-DEC-2018. I've tried rebooting, turning the phone off for five minutes and restarting. Same message when I try to make a call. It's my understanding that my phone, too, uses the T-Mobile SIM. I sent CC an email, no reply yet. Stangely, the texting function on the phone is working. Just can't make a phone call because, as the recording states, "Your account balance is too low to complete this call...." I've been on Autopay with CC for several years and have never experienced this message. My account shows plenty of minutes for phone calls and, besides, it auto-upgrades if one nears the upper limit. I may try to turn on the WiFi calling and try to reach CC that way, or try online Chat once they get someone into their office on the west coast this morning. I believe it's past time to quit this outfit; this is not the first, second or third problem encountered with them this year.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 20

And this morning, I get a recording "Your account balance is too low to complete this call...".  I call Consumer Cellular and after waiting in the call queue for 37 minutes, they tell me that is happening to all of their phones on the T-Mobile network!  Is it because they failed to pay the other carrier?  I just hope my 85 year old parents don't need to use the phone I gave them today, they might think that I'm broke and not paying my bills Smiley Tongue

Kudos
Views