Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Consumer Cellular NOT Necessarily the Best Choice

Contributor

Consumer Cellular NOT Necessarily the Best Choice

I don't know if there's some financial arrangement between Consumer Cellular and AARP, but we (folks over 50) are clearly targeted by Consumer Cellular.  I WAS one of those people whose monthly bill, as advertised on television, was just under $25...with very a limited data allowance.  Out of town at a hotel I attempted to connect to the hotel's free wi-fi.  Having difficulty (NOT a Consumer Cellular issue), I gave up after about 45 minutes.  I came to discover that I had used ALL of my allowed data trying to connect and I was bumped up to the next higher plan to cover this data usage.  That also was not really a problem for me.  So.....My Point:  I was paying just shy of $25 per month and it was pretty easy to use up my allowed data.  After my hotel experience I dumped Consumer Cellular and I am now with Cricket Wireless.  I pay a total of $30 a month, which includes all taxes and fees, and I have unlimited data...1GB at high speed.  Bottom Line=For only $60 more a year I will never have the hotel experience again. 

100% AGREE initially went with consumer cellular for my mother and myself. Moms in her 80's and needs a reliable phone our plan started at $50 and was quickly raised to 75. I can barely get in touch with customer service secondary to limited hours. I have frequently dropped calls, frequent no service, and SOS ONLY alerts. I tried to contact customer service and the code they sent to my phone did not go through due to no service, you cant make this up. I would not recommend this carrier to anyone that needs reliable cell phone service . 

0 Kudos

Not sure about the service but they undoubtedly have the Worst Commercial Ever on TV. The man in the orange sweater makes you mad the minute he opens his mouth.  He must be an owner or some Big Shot in the company or he'd never be in a commercial.  Wouldn't use there service just because of him even though we'd been considering it.

Contributor

I I totally agree about this ad.  It's WAY too long and they run it OVER AND OVER AND OVER.  Everyone in the and seems embarrassed to have to be involved.  I have to mute it until it's over.  I'm actually a Consumer Cellular customer but have had serious thoughts of changing carriers if they keep running this ad!

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/24/24) @italianvln , have you complained. I am sure things MAY  🙄  change IF enough customers complain. Are these people being made to participate in this ad. I am sure they got paid.  👵

[*** @italianvln wrote:

I I totally agree about this ad.  It's WAY too long and they run it OVER AND OVER AND OVER.  Everyone in the and seems embarrassed to have to be involved.  I have to mute it until it's over.  I'm actually a Consumer Cellular customer but have had serious thoughts of changing carriers if they keep running this ad! ***]

Other people commenting on "bad service" from Consumer Cellular is mind-blowing. You mean, you actually got GOOD service and prices somewhere else?!? Having had service through Sprint (T-Mobile), Verizon and ATT, I am astounded that anyone thinks any of them is preferable to Consumer Cellular. It is analogous to ordering food from a restaurant, paying full price for your food plus extra for sides, desserts and drinks. Then paying a delivery fee and tipping the driver. OR, Getting a senior discount ordering your food, then getting free sides, desserts and drinks, no delivery fee and the driver tips you!! Then, complaining that it took 37 seconds longer to get it with all the discounts and freebies, than without and protesting that you were tricked! Plus, stating that since they charged you less and gave you more, but took 37 seconds longer, that proves that they obviously must just be in it to screw unsuspecting seniors!?!? WHAT?!?!?!?!? 

Personally, we think Consumer Cellular is incredible! We had ATT and were getting a "discount" through my wife's company. We live in a very hilly, rural area and ATT is the only provider with nearly no dead spots. We were spending nearly $180/mo on 2  lines with 1 gig of data with our old phones, nothing financed! We switched to Consumer Cellular. There weren't any issues, but we needed to interact with customer service just to activate our phones and have them answer a couple of questions for us. They answered the phone immediately and were clearly native English speakers and in the US. We got clear answers and received our new phones ready to go within 2-3 days. Our phone service was down for maybe 30 minutes while we switched and our phone numbers transferred properly and we have the same great coverage (ATT) as we did before. We had an  iPhone 7 and a Motorola Moto phone when we switched in 2023. We were able to finance (for 24 months with no credit check or interest) a new iPhone 14 AND a new iPhone 15 Pro Max (about $2,000 combined with the upgraded storage) along with comprehensive damage coverage for them. So, we had 2 lines with a gig of data and 5+ year old phones for $180/mo with ATT. Now, we have the same service with 2 brand new phones and damage coverage on them for $162/mo. That may still sound high, but if we weren't financing the phones, it would be more than $100 less than we were paying and is STILL $18/mo less WITH 2 brand new phones!! ATT wanted us to pay for new phones up front (due to their credit requirements) that would be "locked". If we included damage coverage, then they would charge us over $200/mo on top of that! Our only regret in making the switch is that we waited so long. 

I hope that AARP is hearing about all of these issues with Consumer Cellular and does something about it!! I joined maybe 5-7 years ago, and it was a good deal and worked smoothly at the time. Since then I have had many issues with billing and service, which always took much longer to resolve than they should have!! Each month if usage was more than expected, I would get automatically bumped up to the next usage tier, as expected. I would have to then manually go online and change down to a lower tier again, which was a hassle, but not too bad. BUT, over the past years, it would NOT let me click down to a lower tier, showing an error message. I would have to call, spending time on hold, and dealing with hassles, and be manually put down to a lower tier. They would apologize for this "error" in the system, but it would continue to happen every month for years!!! Now, other companies have caught up and offer better deals and much less hassle. I finally switched to a new provide 2 weeks ago, which was very smooth on the new provider end, and required a total of 1.5 hours on the phone on CC's end again due to multiple hassles. Finally, I looked today and was still getting billed despite cancelling again!!! So, one more time (hopefully!) on the phone and on hold for 15 mins today to cancel one more time!! UGH!! I'd stay away from Consumer Cellular!!!!

Kudos
Views
Contributor

My stepfather recently passed. I called and closed his account with Consumer Cellular and they graciously said they would wave the final bill. A few days later a final bill shows up in the mail. I called them back to ask about it and they said since I'm not the primary user they can't talk to me about it but if I want to dispute the charge they can walk me through the process. It was only for $30 so I'm just going to pay it. It already sucks having to deal with a loved ones death, not to mention the other things you have to take care of like phone bills, but they found a way to make it just a little harder. 

My horrendous experience with moving my Mom's (88 yr old) cell phone from a secondary user to a primary user.  When asked why, I informed them the primary user her husband (82 yr old) was incapacitated in the hospital with a serious illness.  His phone was stolen while in the hospital.  Once we told them he was incapacitated, they cancelled both his phone service along with my Mom's instantly.  I called them asked can they please turn back on her phone because she is awaiting a call from the hospital.  They said NO.  The customer service representative create false notes in their conversation with me.  They are most inhuman business and have no care for seniors.  They only want your money.  I would never support a company who doesn't care for their customers.         

I want to let EVERYONE know that if you live in a RURAL area, have a METAL roof, or live in a mountainous area, Consumer Cellular will NOT work for you! Ever since Consumer Cellular switched to ATT in Jupiter Florida, the service does not work properly. You cannot use WIFI calls, the signal is one bar or less, the mobile network does not work when you are out of the house at times, and you also have to go outside to use the phone because it will not work in your house if you have a metal roof. I have been with Consumer Cellular for years, but since they will NOT be staying with T Mobile, I have no choice but to find a network that works. So disgusted and down trodden. They refuse to let me stay with T Mobile and say they are edging out of T Mobile by the end of 2023. 

I also just tried to move to Consumer Cellular.  I checked my phone IMEI number to ensure my phone would work on their network, it said it would.  I got the sim card in the mail fairly quickly and then spent 4 days without phone service  trying to get the sim card to work, after speaking with 3 or 4 customer service representatives back and forth with CC and Verizon, finally told on Monday that my phone won't work with their network.  Then spent 3 days talking back and forth between Verizon and CC to get my phone number back and working on Verizon.  And their ad says 100% money back guarantee, not true, they charged me $5 shipping twice and will not refund the money.  The entire process was very frustrating, and not easy to accomplish.  I am very tech savvy and if I wasn't I'd have ended up ordering a new phone I didn't need and spending hundreds of dollars.  I believe Consumer Cellular is targeting seniors because they are vulnerable.

Regular Contributor

The sooner Consume Yer Jugular goes belly-up, the better it will be for all consumers.

Periodic Contributor

terrible service  the advantage of seniors and those with health issues,  i closed my account in April.   i recently got a email on from a email i blocked.     i am not giving them my account info. 

i can't get a itemized bill.  i don't have a log in.  ACCOUNT IS CLOSED! i want to be out of their system.  

i am a heart patient , i don't need this harassment and stress.    

the reps are rude , hang up on you. 

Contributor

I  I completely understand. Also being of poor health, trying to deal with these people is exhausting and enough to put you in the hospital! They’re lying thieving crooks

Kudos
Views

Has anyone tried Mint Mobile? They advertise a very cheap plan 

HORRIBLE cell service!! We had Mint for a year- soooo cheap but you get wht you pay for and no one could hear me when I called, no signal!! I had prepaid so stuck with it til the end, now I switched to Consumer Cellular AND it’s BEEN WORSE!!!    
i live in the metro DC area and there are cell towers everywhere yet since we’ve had CC for just a month we’ve only gotten 1 or 2 bars!! My texts don’t always go through and My phone cuts in and out when calling someone- they can’t hear me! I called them 4 times to “re-set” our phones and now they tell us there’s nothing more they can do!!!!????

I’m DONE!!

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/3/24) NEVER used them @KimberlyR644415 and after reading all the "mess" about them - NEVER will. I wonder IF there is some way to REPORT them in YOUR area? And AARP continues to NOT CARE!!! I hope you can find "reliable" phone service! 

😎

[*** KIMBERLY @KimberlyR644415 wrote:

HORRIBLE cell service!! We had Mint for a year- soooo cheap but you get wht you pay for and no one could hear me when I called, no signal!! I had prepaid so stuck with it til the end, now I switched to Consumer Cellular AND it’s BEEN WORSE!!!    
i live in the metro DC area and there are cell towers everywhere yet since we’ve had CC for just a month we’ve only gotten 1 or 2 bars!! My texts don’t always go through and My phone cuts in and out when calling someone- they can’t hear me! I called them 4 times to “re-set” our phones and now they tell us there’s nothing more they can do!!!!????

I’m DONE!! ***]

0 Kudos
Contributor

I switched to mint mobile 2 months ago because consumer Cellular didn't have T-Mobile anymore. AT&t was terrible couldn't make calls send text. I had consumer Cellular for probably 5 years and I loved it. I had AT&t in the beginning and the service was bad so I switched to T-Mobile and it was excellent. My granddaughter suggested mint mobile cuz she had it and I'm very happy with it. I do miss consumer Cellular but not the service

Contributor

I've been on Mint for over 2 1/2 years with the unlimited plan. It does throttle at 35 GB, but doesn't cut you off. You can purchase extra GB to tide you over. I'm trying out the 15 GB this quarter to wean myself off YouTube. Anyway, I can't recommend Mint Mobile highly enough. Website has tons of easy to understand info about switching over, everything you need to know.

Periodic Contributor

Yes.  I have mint mobile. I paid for a year with unlimited data.  So far so good.  Consumer Cellular is horrible.  I reported the CC company to the Better Business Bureau

Regular Contributor

I filed multiple complaints against Consumer Yur Jugular with the FCC, FTC and my state's office of the attorney general. If everyone ripped off by this sinister company did the same, it might expedite the demise of this repulsive cellular phone service provider.

All the amount of slick marketing tactics or advertising money won't restore Consume Yur Jugular's contemptible reputation as the worst cellular phone service provider of them all.

My respect for celebrity endorser, Ted Danson has plummeted. AARP, as well as Target should ditch Consume Yur Jugular without delay.

Contributor

Oh yes, things have changed. I believe CEO sold out (2020 if I recall) and the new one is the big reason for so many negative changes. The prior CEO is on the board of directors, however. I noticed how much they lie each time I speak with customer service. I've called them no less than 30 times since late May 2023, and I keep having to call them on their lies...then they seem confused and change their stories. AARP was of no help whatsoever. I was left in a chat by myself. When I tried to reach someone about it, got no response.

I am taking my issue with CC to a higher level. We all need to.

BBB right now has 127 pages of complaints with CC, and I read through many, all 2023 very recent months.

What's more they don't disclose their taxes and fees before signing up on any place I can find including their agreement.

Kudos
Views

They charged me over $8 in taxes and fees! Didn't bother to tell me that was going to happen!! I'm going back to Verizon pre-paid,  where I get more data and they only charged me $2.09 in taxes and fees.

0 Kudos

Their response to not disclosing taxes and fees onto the $20 per month is that "No cell company does that!" I say it is a matter of "Disclosure" and should be included in their "false" advertising. I'm a Senior and my bill is now over $30 and still going up!!! Yes, I fell for their lies about their $20 per month plan. I switched to CC because I could not afford $30 per month. Now CC is over $30!! 

If you don't talk or text that much, you might consider Connect with T-Mobile, prepaid service for $10/month.  1000 minutes and 1000 texts per month.  1GB of data with a hard cutoff (no overage charge).  I pay $11.03 total per month.  I am mainly on WiFi and use about 500MB/mo of data, from maps, etc.

Contributor

Your problem is mine too. They say $20 per month. However, with all the fees, I am paying $32 per month. Does anyone know of a CA lifeline phone company that offers free flip phones?

JPA 123

0 Kudos
Contributor

PHONE UNLOCKED - After I filed a complaint with the Oregon Better Business Bureau, Consumer Cellular finally saw fit to unlock my iPhone 13 Pro.  Lesson learned -- never, never, never in your life buy a phone from Consumer Cellular.  My wife and I now have a two line plan with T-Mobile with unlimited calling, texting, and data for $70 including all taxes and fees.  

Periodic Contributor

I had Consumer Cellular for I think 5 years until just recently. It was fine until AT&T starting converting to 5G. After trying Apple, CC, and AT&T for answers, that is my conclusion. It was explained to me by several people that any service other than the main services through the big providers get pushed down in priority. They get fewer towers and get knocked off completely for service when those towers are busy. Even AT&T's pre-paid isn't treated much differently than CC or Cricket, or any reseller. There may also be an issue with older phones now. Since we couldn't get text or email service if we weren't on wifi for months on CC and got no answers, we finally switched to AT&T (where I was before CC). My phone is working fine, but my husband's occasionally gives him issues, and we think it's because it's an iPhone 7, which doesn't have the capability of accepting 5G.

We got completely frustrated with CC after trying and trying to get them to at least explain what was happening. I was told that a supervisor would call me, which never happened, and we needed to have dependable service leading up to our wedding. So, bye bye CC. The kicker, though, was that we had a hard time switching. We fortunately had a great sales guy at the AT&T store who apparently understands how to transfer in difficult situations better than their IT people do. It took almost two days to make the switch because for some reason, CC had my address correct, but had my husband's number, which was on MY account, at my old address!  It was a cluster, and I kept hearing that that was impossible, but that's why his number wouldn't transfer at first. CC is a mess. I don't know what happened to them, but some of what happened WAS their fault, and some was simply that AT&T (and Verizon is the same way) is upgrading and giving lower priority to resellers and pre-paid customers. So, we bit the bullet and switched.

I really hope that AARP gets a grip and gives them the boot as an endorsement because, frankly, it makes AARP look bad.

Contributor

I agree that AARP should drop Consumer Cellular. I've had nothing but problems with them. When I first switched, I had a Samsung S8 and couldn't do multimedia messages, so I called and they told me that it was because my phone was so old (5 years). So I ordered a new Samsung S20 FE from them and was never told anything about how long I needed to be on their network with a phone I bought from them. Everything worked fine with the phone for about 3 weeks, then I got a software update from Samsung and the phone no longer would send multimedia or do data while I was not on WiFi. This is not acceptable service. I spent 5 weeks and probably more than 50 hours troubleshooting the new phone. I also spent at least 8 hours at a Target store where they have techs for support and they could never get it working. I did a full factory reset twice, because they said it was an App that I had installed that was causing the issue, and it still didn't work. I even contacted Samsung, and sent them my phone, and they returned it saying there was no issue. Now when I want to ditch Consumer Cellular, they tell me that I can't because I need to wait another 90 days, that phone isn't even activated, I'm using my Samsung S8. Here is the real issue. Because of all the troubleshooting that I've done over the last 5 weeks, I've now been able to fix my S8 to do multimedia messages, this is the issue I originally had and they told me that my phone was too old and wouldn't work properly on their system. They couldn't solve he problem but I did myself, no tech support and no waiting on the phone for an hours to get someone to talk to. I've also noticed that they no longer sell any of the high end Samsung phones. This tells me that they have an issue with Samsung phones but they don't have the expertise in house to fix the issue, so they just won't sell them anymore. This company is such a rip-off and AARP should be ashamed to be associated with them. They certainly don't have good customer service, that's a myth that they keep playing in their TV ads. So for anyone looking to switch to save money, don't because you will regret it. I certainly do. I'll be switching back to AT&T as soon as my 90 days are up and I can leave Consumer Cellular.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP