Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Consumer Cellular NOT Necessarily the Best Choice

Contributor

Consumer Cellular NOT Necessarily the Best Choice

I don't know if there's some financial arrangement between Consumer Cellular and AARP, but we (folks over 50) are clearly targeted by Consumer Cellular.  I WAS one of those people whose monthly bill, as advertised on television, was just under $25...with very a limited data allowance.  Out of town at a hotel I attempted to connect to the hotel's free wi-fi.  Having difficulty (NOT a Consumer Cellular issue), I gave up after about 45 minutes.  I came to discover that I had used ALL of my allowed data trying to connect and I was bumped up to the next higher plan to cover this data usage.  That also was not really a problem for me.  So.....My Point:  I was paying just shy of $25 per month and it was pretty easy to use up my allowed data.  After my hotel experience I dumped Consumer Cellular and I am now with Cricket Wireless.  I pay a total of $30 a month, which includes all taxes and fees, and I have unlimited data...1GB at high speed.  Bottom Line=For only $60 more a year I will never have the hotel experience again. 

Periodic Contributor

I HAVE BEEN HARSSED TOO I'M A HEART PATIENT.  EMAILED ONA BLOCKED EMAIL

Contributor

I totally agree.  I thought Consumer Cellular was an ethical company who truly cared about customer service.  I couldn’t have been more wrong.  After paying off what I owed the company, (including my $1,400 cel phone) and moving to a different phone carrier, they are now holding my phone in hostage.  When asked to unlock “my phone “ I am told I have to wait 6 months even though I am not using Consumer Cellular’s service.  This is ill-legal and obviously unethical.  In the short term as well as the long term such a practice is not in the best interest of their former customers.  Rest assured, they will never return to the company and will drive potential customers away from their services.   I think AARP needs to disassociate themselves with Consumer Cellular.   Jim Kirk

Regular Contributor

How many negative reviews does Consumer Cellular have to receive on this forum before AARP completely disassociates itself from a phone company that preys on senior citizens? I suggest that AARP immediately begin negotiations with another cellular service provider. If it's money and/or other considerations that AARP desires, I am fairly certain that the powerfully influential lobby, AARP, can get another, better phone provider to play ball. T-Mobile, for example, is going after the 55+ market with some very competitive rates and perks. T-Mobile's customer service leaves Consumer Cellular in the static. With so many horrendous ratings across the entire social media spectrum, I suspect that Consume Ur Jugular's days are numbered. I will do everything a diligent senior citizen can do to hasten the process.

Just a comment on CC.  Could not wait to get my phone (bought from CC) paid off.  The wifi was a pain to stay connected and sucked big time.  I went to T-mobile and they are a world of difference for the good.  Got my last bill from CC, it was higher than my other bills. I called CC (waited 30 mins on hold), the rep kept saying your bill was prorated. My billing cycle ended on the 30th, I canceled them on the 29th. What do I need to be prorated for?  Overall rating: telephone - 8, wifi - 1, consumer service - 1, happy to be rid of them - 10!!!!

Regular Contributor

I too, was with Consume UR Jugular for 29 days. This is well below the 45-day trial period provided to AARP members and still within the 30-day trial period for all other customers. I had multiple service issues beginning within the first two weeks of service. I documented the phone conversations I had with CC customer service agents, saved all chat transcripts and expressly informed several complacent and rude CC customer disservice clucks of my dissatisfaction.

Those of you who have ever been placed on hold by CC may be familiar with the prerecorded advertisements CC uses to promote their business in an effort to pacify current customers and hook potential customers.

During one section in the on-hold advertisement, the prerecorded message features a spokesperson's voice touting CC's "100% Risk-Free Guarantee."

A transcript of the recording is a follows:

"Here at Consumer Cellular, we have always offered a 100%, risk-free guarantee. That means, if you are not satisfied with our cellphone service, regardless of the reason, you can cancel within the free trial period and pay absolutely nothing. You don't even have to pay postage to return your phone."

No disclaimers, terms or conditions are ever mentioned in the advertisment. Coincidentally, soon after I informed a senior CC account representative about the misleading promise CC edited out of this portion of their on-hold message. Fortunately, I made a recording of the false advertisement beforehand. A Federal Trade Commission customer liaison I spoke with said CC was engaging in deceptive advertising.

No matter how much money Consumer Ur Jugular spends on advertising and promotion the company will not be able to offset the patently negative experiences so many customers encounter with this horrendously awful phone service provider.

When entities such as AARP and Target finally wake up to how crummy CC is to their members and patrons and finally give CC the boot, I predict it will spell the end of one of the most sleazy and customer-unfriendly cellular phone service companies in the United States. Superior cellphone service providers such as T-Mobile are doing their part to hasten the collapse of Consume Ur Jugular. The end result could not happen fast enough for me.

Contributor

When working at home during the pandemic, CC was great and a big money saver when set to wifi calling and minimal data was used (for an occasional google map lookup and directions). Now I am back to work, cannot connect to company wifi, and cannot get a CC cellular signal from my building. Had to go outside in hurricane weather in order to make a call! I will be leaving this provider shortly as it no longer suits the purpose needed. Just now tried to contact customer service and it is a 30min wait to speak to a rep. The service may work well for someone who is home most of the time and can use their personal wifi most of the time.

Contributor

Update to my last post…Now with T Mobile. Got a decent deal with 55+ plan. Opted for a new phone and service works great. Turned in old phone for monthly discount. Free mobile hotspot.. In store customer service was excellent. Customer service by phone will call you back. Happy customer.

Regular Contributor

Bravo! A million more Consume Ur Jugular, senior citizen customers should say, "Adios!" and let AARP know why they made the switch.

Regular Contributor

Consumer Reports magazine got it wrong.

I activated my consumer cellular just over three weeks ago and I am already giving them the boot. I was well aware that "unlimited data" was a deliberate misnomer and that throttling would take place after a paltry 35 gigabytes of (shared) standard data was used up.

To try and placate my concern, a representative of Consumer Cellular told me that although I would not be able to successfully stream video after having my data speed throttled down I would easily be able to perform other, less data dependent, tasks on the Internet without any difficulty. This was completely untrue. Once throttled, my data speed plummeted down to 0.07 Mbps. For those who remember dial-up speeds, the Consumer Cellular throttle-down network speed is slower than obsolete dial-up. It essentially provides the customer who paid for "unlimited" data with virtually useless data. Imagine paying for unlimited soft drink refills and being provided with a clogged soda straw in an effort to consume the allegedly endless beverage.

I became even more infuriated when none of the Consumer Cellular support representatives I reached out to would disclose the actual speed of the throttled data. They all behaved liked slimy politicians, unable to provide me with a direct, truthful answer to my relevant question. Consumer Cellular's punitive speed damper makes it practically impossible to accomplish anything on the Internet. The speed was so inadequate, I could not log in to my Consumer Cellular online account and engage in a chat session on the Consumer Cellular website to communicate with one of their chat representatives.

The only remedy I received from Consumer Cellular's customer service staff was an offer to provide me with more data at an inflated price. I call that underhanded tactic, "airway robbery".

If a good throttling is in order, it should be swiftly administered to Consumer Cellular and their duplicitous trade practices. Consumer Cellular's so-called "award winning" customer service is also hit or miss. I have received a disconcerting amount of contradictory and misinformation from several of Consumer Cellular's purportedly stellar customer service agents.

I would never recommend Consumer Cellular to anyone needing more than a few gigabytes worth of data per month, and even at that, there are better values in cellular service than Consumer Cellular. Data users beware of this disreputable company.

Regular Contributor

Update:

After only 29 days of service before switching to another carrier's 55+ phone plan, I am still wrestling with Consumer Cellular over a billing dispute. "Consume Your Jugular" (my pet name for the nefarious telecom company) began charging me for service prior to any of my SIM cards being shipped or any of my phones being activated. After complaining ad infinitum to both, Consumer Cellular's less than congenial chat and phone support ferrets, Consumer Cellular's billing department made a feeble attempt to correct their own careless error. However, the amount Consumer Cellular credited me was less than what the scoundrels overcharged me. I have been hounding Consumer Cellular to make good ever since.

To do battle with the evil doers at Consumer Cellular, I stocked my arsenal with a complaint to the Better Business Bureau, three separate complaints to the Federal Communications Commission, a complaint with my state's Office of the Attorney General and of course, assistance from AARP. I am sorry to report that the lackadaisical AARP representative I spoke with couldn't have cared less. More of a mouthpiece for her financial sponsor, Consumer Cellular, the AARP rep instructed me to pay my erroneous bill in full, lest I receive a late fee and collection agency harassment. Is this any way to treat a senior?

Regular Contributor

Anyone experiencing problems with Consumer Cellular should not hesitate to file complaints with the Federal Communications Commission, the Federal Trade Commission, the Better Business Bureau and of course, all social media outlets. AARP should end their promotional and financial relationship with Consumer Cellular immediately. I refuse to join AARP until the organization gives Consumer Cellular the heave-ho. My elderly Sister has decided not to renew her AARP membership. I will do everything I am able to promote more ethical phone service providers in an effort to assist Consumer Cellular to go out of business as rapidly as possible. A mass boycott of Consumer Cellular is certainly warranted.

Contributor

We did not have any issues with Consumer Cellular for the 6 years we had service.  We (paid cash) purchased a total of 3 phones over the course of our relationship, timely payments, and were happy to make recommendations to others.  HOWEVER, we found ourselves wishing to change carriers, to be told we could not.  One of the iPhones was not in service for 180 days.  The policy is on page 9, para 3.1.  Very sad the policy could not have been waived.  BEWARE of the fine print with this company, as well as others.  There is zero tolerance.  Will wait the 50 some days and then switch...sad way to treat previously satisfied customers.   

Consumer Cellular is the best cellphone company I've ever had the privilege of using.  If you want to talk about issues... start with Tracfone.  

ConCell... put my wife and I in one of your commercials!

Contributor

Consumer Cellular s*cks.  From a consumer who is switching.  All the negative reviews previously listed are true.

Regular Contributor

Tracfone has worked perfectly for me for years.

Regular Contributor

What other cellphone companies have you had service with and what does Consumer Cellular have that the others don't? T-Mobile has far better customer service than Consume Your Jugular and is now offering phone plans that are being geared specifically to the 55+ demographic.

Seems you are in the minority?

This is the worst company ever. I have filed complaints with 4 agencies because of their extremely poor customer service and we simply cannot have up to one bar of service. We got them in Dec 2019, because we thought a a  r p wouldn't do us wrong. We were wrong, they helped get us in this mess. The service went down in about March, with dropped calls, calls not received, or unable to be placed. Never more then one bar of service. Constant calls not notated of issues, and chats with long ques of 178 or more (even before the crisis) They never would call us back when we told them to call us if calls dropped. They never notated our calls about poor service. They are known for sending u more sim cards, none of which work. Our phones were checked out by geek squad and are not the problem. The phone service is. We moved 2 phones to another company, and they are withholding releasing my phone as they are charging us for service when my phone could no longer get any bars, and so was no longer in service, and the other phone bills show evidence as well. I have not been able to use my phone at all since Aug 9, and are still billing me. They will not work with us on anything, and I get this when consumer protection said to contact them. " Why does AARP allow this to go on endorsing this company? They have thousands of complaints on the BBB, trust pilot, consumer protection etc. We do not have a home phone, and now I have no phone working. I am a senior citizen and this is how aarp has worked for us.

Message blocked
Your message to ResolutionAdmin@consumercellular.com has been blocked
Contributor

A a RP should be a shame of themselves to allow consumer cellular to use a member just a scheme off of them provid and service that dozen provide and still getting paid for their services good afternoon

Contributor

@HelenaB709812 wrote:

AARP should be a shame of themselves by allowing consumer cellular to use AARP member’s  just a scheme off from their false advertisement having memories to believe that they can provide the service that they advertise on TV and using AARP members just to show that they are cellular phone services and I’m assume AARP hat and trusted them with their advertise and also to make sure that their members are satisfied with their services I fell into that trap of false advertisement with consumer cellular and trusted AARP using me as a member unfortunately consumers cellular has charge me for two months of services that I have not use both of my phones were totally dead and they failed to assist me in getting better phones to continue with their services even though I have previous phones from my previous service with the previous phone number the service was working and when consumers cellular realize that their end was not able to continue with the service that I had with him that was working on March 8 that was the last of the services that I did not receive phone consumer cellular I have constantly call them wasted unnecessary time to get the phones to work they were not provide my phone off because I was informed from formal customers that their home phones do not work with their services either mid part of March 8,2022I had to switch over to my former phone services I had to buy a new phone and get new numbers because of consumers cellular her ruin my phone and refuse for me to switch my all numbers back to my phone my phone services. I haven’t had any services from consumers cellular since March 8 because both of the phones were Totally dead unable to do anything to the phone they billed me the month of March and half of April a hundred and fifty dollars $150. I started my service with consumer cellular on February 2, 2022 and it stopped working on March 8 that was the last time my phone ever been you were there servicesI started my service with consumer cellular on February 2, 2022 and it stopped working on March 8 that was the last time my phone ever been used. I even pay my bill on March 15 $58 while my phone was not working from March 8 and has not been working even with paying that bill. Consumers cellular Is a money steamer company they rob me for my money and I know I’m not gonna receive it back despite of the services I did not receive so I’m paying for something that I shouldn’t have to pay for If this the kind of company by AARP supports with their senior members can you imagine what the companies that they also supporting to scheme of senior membersif this the kind of company by AARP supports with their senior members can you imagine what other company that they are also supporting to scheme off senior members I thought I controls AARP with their selection of companies to provide the services who are the companies but unfortunately even with the bad service of being in to their attention I’m getting the same feedback like I’m getting from consumers cellular AARP cannot be trusted either they represent company like this to mistreat them membership customers and I’m disappointed in AARP as well as consumer cellular scheming offer senior services

Contributor

I totally agree with you this is the worst cell phone company I personally had to deal with an a two month they charge me service that my phone could not even receive I couldn’t receive calls no one can call me any data connect song did not work at all. I have problem with the service since March 8 of this year neither my phone could not receive calls no I could not call me I couldn’t listen to my voice message yes I couldn’t receive data connection happy service since February 2 in a problem starting on March 8 I pay their service on March 15 but then they charge me for two extra months services that I did not use because of poor connection from their services that has not been resolved. They have been false advertising their services on TV now they got Ted Danson to false advertising  their commercials. I learned today what they do consuming cellular rabbit your phones are working or not they will still charge you unless you call to cancel so another word there are a hustler and that’s why they want to deal with seniors that are AARP members Because seniors they may not catch on their Consumer cellular schemes 

So what can we all do, when they refuse to accept cancellation and keep charging. I did my cancellation also thru consumer protection as a go between and they still refuse and keep charging. Do they figure they can damage someone's credit rating, as past customers who will not pay for services not received any longer? What has anyone else done? I mean 4 agencies we filed with and they STILL persist doing what they do
Contributor

Consumer Cellular is a FRAUD and/or SCAM. When you become a Consumer Cellular unlimited customers (including talk, all texts, & data), Consumer Cellular forces their new customers to enroll auto pay so Consumer Cellular may STEAL your money. Plus, For their unlimited customers, once the customer reaches the maximum data allowed, which is usually between 5-10 days, Consumer Cellular puts the unlimited customers on throttle speed for the remaining 20-25 days regardless if the customer pays his/her bill. Most companies only puts on throttle speed during peak times, but Consumer Cellular leaves throttle speed on 24/7 UNLESS although you are an unlimited customer, they still charge you $10 for 10GB which constitutes FRAUD because the customer signed up as an unlimited customer. On top of all this, Consumer Cellular likes to harass their customers & when playing be video games, Consumer Cellular likes to make sure the video games to load extremely slow so the unlimited customer uses more of their data so they may start the throttle speed that Consumer Cellular seems to fancy & adore so much. Consumer Cellular NEEDS to be out of business permanently because of their behavior to the unlimited customers Consumer Cellular believes the customer cherish, which is bunch of BS & I have other former Consumer Cellular unlimited customers saying the same thing as I am putting this review together. Please reconsider getting Consumer Cellular as a Cellular Provider. I don't recommend Consumer Cellular to anyone & in fact, I highly recommend that everyone to STAY AWAY from Consumer Cellular so they may go permanently out of business. 

Yes we found out that too. Filed with 4 agencies and still nothing is happening. How come aarp still keeps them is beyond us. They are using my phone as hostage right now.

I am not sure why AARP would offer a discount for using Consumer Cellular when they have so many issues on record. We just got Consumer Cellular and have no service in the house. If we want to make a phone call we have to walk outside, that lasted for a week. Then we called and they claimed we needed to get a sim card, which is now on its way but in the meantime we no cannot get calls at all, in or outside the house! This is a shame when we need our phone and our daughter needs to be able to call us. We should be reimbursed and I will not recommend this to anyone. This is taking advantage of the older community and I will remember, all discounts are not necessarily discounts! Thanks for confirming that once again. Offering this community all kinds of discounts when you cannot stand behind the service is just wrong.

That is quite a story! I can't believe that CC thinks it's acceptable for you to stand outside to make a phone call. It's like that old TV show, Green Acres, where they had to climb the telephone pole to make a phone call! I've had CC for 2 years now and we have not had any trouble until I ordered two new phones. For one reason or another the SIM card in the phones would not activate. I called CC for help. The agent I spoke to told me the SIM card I had was bad and that I would need to go to Target and get another or they could send me one. I elected to have one sent to me. In the meantime my phone started working. I called CC again to tell them that I did not need the SIM card and I spoke to a different agent. This guy told me that it was not right that I needed a new SIM, it just required more time to authorize the one I had. Okay, it is now a month later and I ordered another phone from them. I went on line to activate it and it did not work. So, I called CC again.The agent I got was the "SIM Card Guy" again and same story, he told me my SIM was "burnt" and I would have to go to Target, blah, blah, blah, you know the rest. I told him I did not want a new SIM card, I want the NEW SIM in the NEW phone to be activated. He said, "Well, okay, it could take 1 to 3 days" and I told him that I didn't care, please, please, just do it. So now, here I sit, waiting for the stupid thing to turn on. For me, it is totally unacceptable to have to go out and buy more parts to make a new phone operate, period.

P.S. If you're thinking about Tracfone, you are contemplating jumping from the pan into the fire!

Periodic Contributor

hehe green acres love it

Periodic Contributor

Personally, many of Consumer Cellular' s customers are older.  Many are AARP members.  So, a company such as CC can try a little bullying.  Put pressure on the senior.  How many seniors have the time to fight back. Maybe a little intimidation by inferring that the senior's behavior borders on criminal so the senior is told to offer more ID such as a driver's license and a letter which must be sent to Portland, Oregon. 

The senior has to beg for a service. Take advantage of the cohort and make them wait in those endless phone queues.  Those queues which you have to listen to the same three or four news stories over and over again.  How many times do I have to hear the news story about dental floss.  But after an hour in the phone queues your teeth are on edge. If you examine the company's phone system, when the system sees customer phone numbers the system slows down the response for some numbers.  However, if you use a phone and the system doesn't know the phone you can often get through faster.  When the phone system  doesn't identify the phone number with a customer you often get better service.  In other words, you are a potential customer so there is money to be made.  But, if you are a customer who might have issues then your call is funneled into the endless queue.  And if you are an older woman, well you don't count for much.  

Periodic Contributor

Yes, let's talk about Consumer Cellular.  I had a CC phone and service about eight years ago.  I decided this year to try the service again.  I called and ordered a flip phone and the company's wireless service.  I paid with a credit card for both.  A month latter I get an email that says my payment was rejected and to call CC.  When I got the email I had already gotten the new phone.  I called the phone number and said I got the CC kit.  I was told that my visa card was used to pay for the phone but since I had the monthly phone service eight years ago the company used whatever payment I used back then.  Any cards or checking accounts i had back then I no longer have so,,of course, the payment bounced since the card numbers the CC used have expired or been reissued. But what gets me is no company has a right to use a credit card or other payment method without asking the consumer for permission ahead of time.  So, i told them to use the card that I Initially to pay for the monthly service.  I only talked to company about the payment situation.  So, I did not activate the phone/service.  I only got the phone and service to use in an emergency or if someone texts me.  I have a landline and I use that phone for my calls.  But July of this year I decided to activate the phone.  Since I wasn't changing my phone number I got the phone and supposedly it was ready to use once I charged it and turned it on.  But it didn't turn on so I called customer service for help  activating the phone.  The first person I talked to was a woman and she started to ask me questions and then stopped and said she couldn't continue to talk to me until I gave her the security code.  I asked what that was and she said i had called the company and put on some sort of code on the phone.  i told her I had no idea what she was talking about.  She said to take the code off I had to write a letter to Portland, Oregon and include a copy of my driver's license.  I thought she was a new hire and hadn't been trained well.  So, I called over and over again and was told no questions would be answered unless I gave them this code.  If I didn't have it i could write Portland, Oregon and explain myself.  Sorry never put a code on the phone and I looked through the Consumer Cellular web site and put in "security code" and nothing came up.  I know you can put a pin on a phone  or sometimes depending upon the phone you can use your finger print to lock and unlock your phone but a security code.  So, I had it.  I decided I no longer wanted to have anything to do with Consumer Cellular.  So, I called and said I wanted to cancel the service and I was told by the representatives they couldn't cancel my service.  I would have to write a letter to Portland with a copy of my driver's license and ask that my service be cancelled.  I kept calling and I finally found a guy in Phoenix. AZ and he said he thought he cancel my service for me. and stepped away from the phone and came back and said he could cancel my service so I asked him to do that for me.  We didn't talk about writing letters to Portland, thank goodness. One sane person in the whole Consumer Cellular outfit.  The guy deserves a reward. We didn't about my payment schedule or finances.  Well now I get automated calls on my landline.  Sometimes two a day.  The voice informs me that I owe something like fourteen dollars.  I tried to call the number left in the message put I am immediately put in a que of waiting calls.  The wait is usually over forty-five minutes but at forty-five minutes I hang up.  I check with my credit card company.  I didn't stop payment but I guess when you cancel your service Consumer Cellular must send some sort of notification to the credit card company to cancel the monthly payments.  I didn't send a message.  If you read the information on the web site there is no information on this security code.  There are suggestions on actions a customer can take with his/her phone to protect you data.  But no mention of a security code.  I don't know how or who put on this code but I am not writing letters to ask people to take off things I didn't put on my account and as you will see on the CC web site it says very clearly you can cancel at any time.  So, the company blocked me from cancelling.  i can't use the phone because it is not activated and I can't ask questions because I have a code on my phone.  And, the company wants to continue to bill me and will not cancel my service.  Mind you I didn't owe the money other than the monthly fee which i am charged whether I use the phone or not.  If the company will not turn on my phone so I can use it then why the heck would anyone put up with the company.

Periodic Contributor

I have had problems with Consumer Cellular service from day one.   I had to call their customer service using my land line to try to get my phone working.   It did not work and only briefly worked after buying a $400 booster.   When the leaves are off of the trees I can see a cell tower from my home.   

I kept the service since my land line was deterierating too.  I also wanted a cell phone in case of an emergency.  I go fishing in a lot of places in my state and could not get service in most of the places although my friends seemed to always have service with their phones.  If AARP did a survey of all of their subscribers I wonder how many really get the service they are paying for.  If you could see my phone service records, you could easily tell that I was not able to use my phone.   Shame on me for continuing to pay for poor service.

Long story short version.  I finally asked one of the guys I fish with what plan he had.  So I switched to Tracfone.  Not saying it is better, but I now get 500 talk, 1000 Text and 500 internet and as long as I stay in the plan the minutes roll over.    $25 for two months versus 250 minutes of talk for $17.60 and no roll over.   Use it or lose it and I definitely lost.

So if anyone is checking this from AARP, please check with your members and make sure that you are sponsoring the best services.   

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP