Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Consumer Cellular NOT Necessarily the Best Choice

Message 1 of 23
I totally agree with Alvaro16 about Consumer Cellular. I switched to Tracfone two months ago after wasting a lot of time and money. I hope my Tracfone service works better than Consumer Cellular. It is already a better price even without the AARP discount. As you stated, the minutes rollover so I can use them later.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 23

I have had problems with Consumer Cellular service from day one.   I had to call their customer service using my land line to try to get my phone working.   It did not work and only briefly worked after buying a $400 booster.   When the leaves are off of the trees I can see a cell tower from my home.   

I kept the service since my land line was deterierating too.  I also wanted a cell phone in case of an emergency.  I go fishing in a lot of places in my state and could not get service in most of the places although my friends seemed to always have service with their phones.  If AARP did a survey of all of their subscribers I wonder how many really get the service they are paying for.  If you could see my phone service records, you could easily tell that I was not able to use my phone.   Shame on me for continuing to pay for poor service.

Long story short version.  I finally asked one of the guys I fish with what plan he had.  So I switched to Tracfone.  Not saying it is better, but I now get 500 talk, 1000 Text and 500 internet and as long as I stay in the plan the minutes roll over.    $25 for two months versus 250 minutes of talk for $17.60 and no roll over.   Use it or lose it and I definitely lost.

So if anyone is checking this from AARP, please check with your members and make sure that you are sponsoring the best services.   

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 23

This is the worst service We have ever had. Talk about taking advantage of seniors. Trying to cancel was a real nightmare. Started back in June and hope that todays go round will be the last.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 23

I decided to leave CC because I was also given erroneous information. This happened in 2018

I was planning a trip to Europe and I  understood that they did not service outside the USA. My plan was to have them open my phone so I could use a SIM card that would allow calls in Europe. They refused because I had not been with CC long enough to allow that( I already owned my phone when I signed on with them). “But” said the customer service provider, “if I switched from an AT&T SIM card to a T Mobile card SIM card I could get a plan that would work in Europe. Which I did. You know what’s coming. It didn’t work. It was a HUGE inconvenience. If you like to travel outside the USA, CC is not the plan for you. 

Other carriers have wised up to the “older generation” market and I HIGHLY recommend checking out what’s on offer out there. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 23

if anyone has a similar problem with a blackberry, it turns out I just needed to fix my APN settings but none of the 3 customer service people i spoke with told me that. Apparently it is somewhere in their FAQs. Consumer Cellular doesn't seem to train its staff too well despite bragging about customer service. they lost me as a customer.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 23

I received abysmal service from Consumer Cellular.  I decided to add my phone to my son’s plan. It turned out I could not get a data connection with my phone and CC refused to give me a refund, even though based on the incomplete and misleading information on their website I had every reason to believe my phone would work.

I have an unlocked Android GSM phone (Blackberry Priv) that I was using with Straighttalk with AT&T as the underlying carrier. According to the website that was all that was required.  I have used SIM cards with this phone on three continents. The website says:

“With our FREE SIM card, you can connect a device you already own to Consumer Cellular service. To be activated on our service, your phone must be unlocked by your previous carrier, and be compatible with GSM network technology. Our SIM card most commonly works with phones used on AT&T or T-Mobile service.”

When I discovered my data connection would not work (phone and text did, although not text with images) I called and the rep told me that her internal documentation said there was often a problem with data with Blackberries and another brand. Why is this information not on the site? I asked for a refund for the SIM card and the $15 monthly fee for an additional line. The rep told me that wasn’t possible so I asked to speak with her supervisor who kept insisting I didn’t warrant a refund because I had “used the service”. I repeatedly told him I had “used the service” based on the incomplete and misleading information on the website.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 23

Sounds like you're not the only one with this problem. There are a number of alternatives depending on your needs (such as just calls vs. calls & Internet). You definitely want to shop around. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 23

AARP should reconsider their sponsorship of Consumer Cellular. I had the same problem others describe: Voice service just stopped working. No voice calls in or out. Three contacts with CC Customer Service did not solve the problem. It was only by reading this forum that I realized the real problem was their network. Meanwhile, CC Customer Service sent me to a service appointment for my phone at Target where they told me the CC service tech position had not been filled for weeks. I ended up having to go with a different provider, including getting a new phone. Moral: Although CC is a communication company, both phone service and customer service from them fell apart spectacularly. I was without voice phone service for seven days while attempting to go through CC to resolve the issue. Finally switched to a different provider. Meanwhile, CC continues aggressive advertising in this market. AARP, are you listening? 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 23

Read with interest the posts since we are having trouble with consumer also (through AT&T). A friend has cricket and likes it but I have no first hand knowledge. I'm commenting on an earlier post favoring tracphone. We bought one for an exchange student some years ago and it worked fine here in Portland. When it was time for her to go home we thought it would be nice to be able to use her phone during her travels and possibly at home. We loaded the phone at Radio Shack (they were still in business then) and ask the salesman if the service was good in Macedonia (the exchange student's home). He called tracphone to be sure and they assured him that she could use it ANY WHERE in Europe including Macedonia (I listened to the conversation on speaker). The student returned home and the service wasn't available. We went back to Radio Shack and the clerk again called tracphone to ask why. Tracphone refused to admit that they had given us misinformation and of course NO REFUND ever (again on speaker phone so I know what was said by both parties). Tracphones may work here in the states but don't leave country and don't expect customer service.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 23

Yes!  The lack of transparency by Consumer Cellular almost feels like the MCI meltdown!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season