WATCH NOW: Iowa presidential candidate forum from Council Bluffs. Appearing: Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. 

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Consumer Cellular NOT Necessarily the Best Choice

Message 1 of 17

Sounds like you're not the only one with this problem. There are a number of alternatives depending on your needs (such as just calls vs. calls & Internet). You definitely want to shop around. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 17

AARP should reconsider their sponsorship of Consumer Cellular. I had the same problem others describe: Voice service just stopped working. No voice calls in or out. Three contacts with CC Customer Service did not solve the problem. It was only by reading this forum that I realized the real problem was their network. Meanwhile, CC Customer Service sent me to a service appointment for my phone at Target where they told me the CC service tech position had not been filled for weeks. I ended up having to go with a different provider, including getting a new phone. Moral: Although CC is a communication company, both phone service and customer service from them fell apart spectacularly. I was without voice phone service for seven days while attempting to go through CC to resolve the issue. Finally switched to a different provider. Meanwhile, CC continues aggressive advertising in this market. AARP, are you listening? 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 17

Read with interest the posts since we are having trouble with consumer also (through AT&T). A friend has cricket and likes it but I have no first hand knowledge. I'm commenting on an earlier post favoring tracphone. We bought one for an exchange student some years ago and it worked fine here in Portland. When it was time for her to go home we thought it would be nice to be able to use her phone during her travels and possibly at home. We loaded the phone at Radio Shack (they were still in business then) and ask the salesman if the service was good in Macedonia (the exchange student's home). He called tracphone to be sure and they assured him that she could use it ANY WHERE in Europe including Macedonia (I listened to the conversation on speaker). The student returned home and the service wasn't available. We went back to Radio Shack and the clerk again called tracphone to ask why. Tracphone refused to admit that they had given us misinformation and of course NO REFUND ever (again on speaker phone so I know what was said by both parties). Tracphones may work here in the states but don't leave country and don't expect customer service.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 17

Yes!  The lack of transparency by Consumer Cellular almost feels like the MCI meltdown!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 17
I am experiencing the same problem. Cannot make outgoing calls and can no longer log onto the website. Text still works. You would think they would post something about having difficulty. 
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 17

Same problem here with Consumer Cellular at 0630AM Arizona time, 06-DEC-2018. I've tried rebooting, turning the phone off for five minutes and restarting. Same message when I try to make a call. It's my understanding that my phone, too, uses the T-Mobile SIM. I sent CC an email, no reply yet. Stangely, the texting function on the phone is working. Just can't make a phone call because, as the recording states, "Your account balance is too low to complete this call...." I've been on Autopay with CC for several years and have never experienced this message. My account shows plenty of minutes for phone calls and, besides, it auto-upgrades if one nears the upper limit. I may try to turn on the WiFi calling and try to reach CC that way, or try online Chat once they get someone into their office on the west coast this morning. I believe it's past time to quit this outfit; this is not the first, second or third problem encountered with them this year.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 17

And this morning, I get a recording "Your account balance is too low to complete this call...".  I call Consumer Cellular and after waiting in the call queue for 37 minutes, they tell me that is happening to all of their phones on the T-Mobile network!  Is it because they failed to pay the other carrier?  I just hope my 85 year old parents don't need to use the phone I gave them today, they might think that I'm broke and not paying my bills Smiley Tongue

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 17

Right on daviscave.  I chose to go with Great Call and their 5 star program.  I get emergeny service 24/7 and 200 minutes for less than I was getting from Consumer Cellular for the same minutes.  The last two phones I got had problems and I got nothing from Consumer Cellular customer service.  I could never get anyone to answer the phone.  After trying for two months to get my phone replaced or repaired while it was still under warranty I was told that I was out of luck.  This was backed up by AARP and they told me that I would get my last bill returned but  no phone replacement.  I have cancelled all the services that I got through AARP's recommondation. Consumer Cellular, Hartford Insurance, and United Healthcare.  Hartford raised their auto insurance by 46% this year and my driving status has been the same for fifty years.  United Healthcare the same and I found that I saved over $2000 a year with HealthNet and of course Consumer sucks.  I am waiting now to hear from the FCC because knowing that AARP wouldn't be any help.  Thank for letting me vent.

CrankyOne
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 17
I think the Straight Talk plans are for 1 phone, so for 2 phones, you have to double the monthly rate. I am currently with Verizon and they have a plan called the Verizon small plan, unlimited talk, and text with 2 GB of data for $ 80.00 a month for 2 phones. I am considering Consumer Celluar, $52.25 a month for 2 phones with unlimited talk and text and 3 GB of data. Their coverage in my area is about the same as Verizon.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 17
Well said, rker321. Your opinion is relevant and you have the right to express it.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
Kudos
Views