Mary Lee Boston-Brown, had two sisters, Louise and Alice.  Their mother Carrie Mae was the woman of strength a woman of courage and she gave all of this to her daughters.  Each daughter grew and developed to become businesswomen when Black women were mostly homemakers or domestic workers.  Mary Lee was my mom.  Mary Lee Boston Brown from the moment she arrived in New York from Thomasville, GA had a goal open a business. 

She began her first business venture in Harlem, NY on LaSalle Street.  She had a small candy store in the neighborhood  and thrived.  When my mom met and married my father she relocated to the Bronx, NY an opened a second business--grocery.  From that point till the day she died mom worked 14 to 16 hour days.  My father and her separated and she continued to make a living for me and her.  She was well known among all the neighborhood businesses which were predominently Black owned.  I am the product of  a community where most of the kids' parents owned a businesses.  Mary Lee took no mess from the rif raff and protected me at all times.  One funny story is the day my mother was held at gunpoint.  To protect me, she jumped the counter and did a serious "Jim Brown" tackle on a woman  6' tall.  That story was told for years till I became a teenager and I began my own legacy of adventures told to all who entered 777 E 169 Street.  Mary Lee Boston Brown, proud mother but the most important attribute was her business sense and devotion to ensuring I had the tools to be a good business person and the education needed. Thank you Mary Lee.

0 Kudos
AARP Terms of Service