I grew up in Haiti, and my dad Gaston is my hero.  His mom died of childbirth, and he was 14 years old.  He was the oldest, and had to quit school.  He had to take care of his brothers, and his dad traveled a lot.  He was their mom, and dad.

He went back to night school when they were older, and was a self made man.  He had his own business, and never worked for a boss.  He worked long hours, and broke his back for the family. 

Haiti is a hard country, and it is extremely difficult to survive there.  He managed to hire his siblings, and never had to ask for help.

He has been gone ten years now, and passed away at the age of 98 years old.  I miss him so very much, and he was so handy.  He could fixed everything, and particularly cars. 

I get fustrated, and even discouraged sometimes.  I think about his life, and get right back on the horse.  If he could have made it in Haiti with no support I definetely can in America, and there are more opportunities here. 

0 Kudos
Comments
Thank you for sharing your story. I think it's important. Your grandfather is now my hero.
AARP Terms of Service