From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Something Odd is going on with big auctions

Message 1 of 6

@RussellP197074   I had not thought of the situation that way.  It makes sense to reboot a system that has flaws like you suggest.   I have been around a number of years but not since the beginning.  It has not been much harder to earn points lately than when I started but I wasn't there at the beginning.     The overhaul of the bidding system was a big negative for me as the quick deals could be won by anyone with persistence and a few points.   After the change a lot of people got priced out.  And yes, the legit people with a lot of points are the big losers here.   

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

I wish this were the only thing going on that is suspicious.  Just the fact that so many people can accumulate so many points without being tempted to use them over the years, is suspicious to me.  I would think you either find something you would like to use your points for, or give up hope of ever seeing something you want that you would quit earning points.

i have a feeling that there is something happening behind the scenes that AARP would be embarrassed if it got out.  Somebody or some people have been gaming the system.  Either the system has been hacked or insiders have figured out a way to gain an advantage.  This would explain the total reboot.

Since I have only been in R4G for just under a year, and I was not around when it was easy to get points I am glad they are making the changes. I do feel sorry for people who legitimately accumulated points.  They are the true victims of the members who were taking advantage of whatever it is that enabled them to get points on the sly.

I figured out there wasn’t any chance of winning an auction immediately upon joining.  Aside from daily deals, and limited Sweepstakes, I am only in the game to purchase discounted Carnival Gift Cards.  If those are discontinued in the next installment of R4G, I won’t be hanging around.  

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

Hello @Brightpool 

It would be nice if they placed a cash value on points and allowed you to redeem for cash.

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

I still have over 800,000 points, but then I'm not bidding on those exorbitant auction items.
I have resigned myself to my fate, but I'm still not willing to bid hundreds of thousands of points on $5 gift cards.
We still have almost 2 months to figure out what we'll do with our points. I'm sure that some will be dumping them on auctions, some will use what they can on discounted items when they can get  deal they like, some will donate them, and some will just let them fade away on that final Rewards for Good day.

As for the points being the same across two different auctions, that does seem fishy. But, for me, it seems fishy that the bids went so high at all after the auctions changed to "place your highest bid and we'll keep outbidding the others until we've reached your highest bid." Still, on line, I can agree to that kind of automatic bidding so a person has a chance to get something that he or she wouldn't be watching at the last moment on the bidding clock.

I was glad that they dropped the bid lead to one point, though. I've always disliked limits on auctions - "you must bid xx points above the leading bid." With these auctions, I don't see any need for it. As Ron Popeil used to say, "...just set it and forget it!"
Enjoy!

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

Hello @HokiePoq 

I noticed that on Friday and thought the same thing.  Maybe there are still members with a over a million points, but weird that there would be same amount points for (2) Featured auctions everyday. 

With the Featured auctions always having bids of 800,000 to 1,000,000 points for the last couple of years you would think members at this level were out of points. 

Something is suspiciousSmiley Frustrated

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin 

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Something Odd is going on with big auctions

Message 6 of 6

I noticed yesterday that two of the three items had the same bid.   I said to myself "What are the odds of that?"   I checked again this a.m. and those two bids have gone up to two higher identical numbers.   This is too much of a coincidence.   Someone has two million points to burn.   One I can see given what some have posted here in the past.   But it seems the same person is bidding that many points.  I can only conclude they have two accounts......or some way of getting points the rest of us never had.    

Kudos
Views
Replies