Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Rewards for Good is horrible EVEN WORSE THAN HORRIBLE!!

Message 51 of 73

@Tomsowa

Tom 

Members are allowed to earn up to 5000 points a day 

@Epster knows & has shared earlier on this thread about earning lots of points

Being new year all the yearly quizzes have restarted & also there are daily and monthly quizzes to earn points

Suffice it to say most likely will take longer than 10 minutes therefore you could earn points but not greatly as it does consist of time and effort to earn 5000 daily limit points. 

I find the quizzes interesting ...a few are outdated but they add new ones also plus you can earn points for signing up for newsletters and also some newsletters contain codes for bonus points. R4G emails always contain bonus code. 

Also as I've stated about Daily Deals that takes time which only each person can decide if item is valuable for their efforts and time to get them.  

Best of luck finding what interests you and you can enjoy doing.   : ) 

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 73

@gm5271 @bo5614 @dg1070.  I'd like to do more Rewards auctions but I never generate the gazillion points that are needed for the big nicer items. I don't know  A) The little secret to generate lots of points;  and B) What points I do earn come along slowly and with effort. Such as: daily polls, Fitbit steps, and odds n'ends. 

So what are the best ways to score points faster?  I am willing to compete for the auctions, if I had the means and time to generate the points (if it takes a daily effort invovling more than 10 minutes to get points, I'm not likely to do that) :Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 73

@Tomsowa

Hi there

I would dare to say that AARP already has a program which works as you describe : AUCTIONS 

I have no experience using but from reading about how it works and others posts about Auctions it is program for gifts to win in a bidding fashion. 

So I suggest you check it out 

You might find you enjoy that program more than trying for Daily Deals.  

Also I need to clarify that I am only a member and my thoughts and shares are my own. I'm not a community helper like @Teri and such just try post/share info & my experiences think may help others. 

Good luck : ) 

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 73

If there's one really annoying thing about the rewards program, it's the badly managed bidding for a daily deal.

Really -- in 2019 it can't be that hard to develop online bidding tools that allow for bidders to get in line, to hold their place and ultimately make a bid to obtain those daily offers.

How hard is it to establish bandwidth and socket permissions so that the first 150 clickers can at least be placed in line, for an item? Instead, based on my impressions, you have to be of maybe 20 people to click on a daily deal. And if you're not one of the 20, you have no option but to sit there and waste your time.

There should be an option for the first 120 after the first 20 to be given a ticket number or wait position... so that maybe within 10 minutes they can move into the next group of 20 eligible buyers.

If you look at how really well-run programs are managed, that's easy to do. So I don't disagree that there are lots of AARP members trying for deals, but it shouldn't be nearly impossible (as it is now) to get through the doors and get a deal.

To say "oh, I guess that's just the way it works because it's the way it works ..." is to let the rewards program be run poorly.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 73

@Tomsowa

@bo5614

Just some other thoughts I'd like to share.... many folks spend cash money buying lottery tickets which the odds of winning are very slim but folks do win....So I consider R4G Daily Deals and Sweepstakes kinda like a lottery for its members. MEMBERS ONLY CLUB

Indeed its possible AARP/R4G Site has a deal with magazine companies of unlimited amount of magazines or possibly 1000 &  quiet possible they are donated to AARP??... I'm guessing using as example. Sweepstakes state amount prize & # of winners of prizes. These also may be donated?? 

Daily Deal products maybe there's a 100 or 50 or 25 or 200 for which possibly 100,000 are trying for.... When consider its costs of points only at times then points plus 1/2 of value price $payment to get item To me that's very good odds plus its lots of fun & exciting when you get a deal.  Its setup alot like a active lottery online as we're trying to win with speed and luck.  

So just some thoughts to consider as you think about how other things in life happen and go. I feel blessed to be able to try and at times succeed besides it wouldn't mean anything if it was easy & won all time. 

Plus I'll add that I'd sure miss having the opportunities R4G site offers if it were no longer available. 

Enjoy your evening :  ) 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 73

@Tomsowa

Hey there

Hope I can help and also provide you with my experiences & truth & some hope that you can win too. 

I'm living proof that you can win Sweepstakes and can get Daily Deals besides magazines (which i've gotten couple of those also) 

Have no experience with auctions plus don't appeal to me.

SWEEPSTAKES: 

I've just won $15 Macy gift card on January 2nd drawing and won a $10 Chick Filet gift card months ago which I received in a timely manner. As proof of winners you can go to Closed Sweepstakes tab and click on ones already drawn it shows list of winners chosen- as rules states if you don't claim in time they don't redraw- ....but it would be hard to miss winning because its pops a page up : "You have been chosen as winner" "claim your prize" so unless you go months without signing in which then you might miss out otherwise they make it impossible to miss you won if you regularly sign in... Anyway my proof is this:  My name is Ginger M I live in Youngsville NC You can go to Macy's card drawn Jan 2nd see my name on list with others who won. So its real & I enter ones like most everyday and hope to one day win a big prize but anything win is nice cause don't cost me but my time & enjoyment of doing quizzes and using points earned. You can't win if you don't enter otherwise its possible for anyone who enters to win. ALSO SWEEPS ARE  CONTROLLED & LIMITED TO 50 ENTRIES A DAY YOU GET 1 FREE ENTRY FOR SIGNING IN THEN CAN ENTER UP TO 49 OR 98 TIMES depends on prize setup. So everyone has opportunities to enter same amount of times.... very fair.  

DAILY DEAL :

I've posted on many many threads here that I've gotten several Daily Deals & i've told others how to try.... Yes there are lots of folks trying to get the items because they are really great deals. I recently got necklace after about 5 minutes tapping on button and got Chopping board-took waiting till 3:47 another popped up & got it- just received from UPS other day along with 1000 Bonus points code which is nice get back part what used & i've got those bonus points with each item. 

As i've prior posted it takes time and patience and luck. 

Today I didn't want the knife set but was online so was watching it another popped up at 3:21 got in cart but no fraud box so clicking few times it came up then let me go as to purchase then I removed it from cart it popped back up available then another person got it in a few seconds. 

Tomorrow's deal may hang on wee bit because it's costly also valuable costs 8000 points plus $$ so if you like that handbag you might could get it tomorrow... higher price and points usually lasts longer as i've noticed. 

So it does work and really is nice bonus to my membership which I learn alot of stuff from quizzes & such & enjoy many things read plus also enjoy this community and connecting with others here. 

If interested search for my posts and read more about Daily Deals 

Hope you will hang around and keep trying cause in time just as happened for me after lots trying you'll be able to get you a nice item soon

Good luck

Many blessings into 2019 : ) 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 73

You cannot find another rewards program anywhere that is worse-managed than the one AARP uses.

First, they've offloaded the rewards program to a skanky company back in the Midwest. They are terrible and should have been fired by AARP like Verizon fired that company two years ago.

There is no clear idea that AARP managers even care that it's so badly run. Once I asked if they could provide any names of actual sweepstakes winners, to prove the program is on the up-and-up. They refused to do that.

AARP is probably focused more on those courses and promotions that make them money... the Medicare options and driving courses and such. I can understand that focus, as it helps pay the bills.

But as a mostly nonprofit operation, they should also care about how their members feel about the rewards program. If properly run, the rewards program could be a real asset. Instead, it's a source of constant frustration. Indeed, all you can ever "win" in the daily deals are some worthless stupid magazine subscriptions that no one truly needs, or some other crap merchandise. 

It has to be the damned third-party company from the Midwest that keeps people from making reasonable purchases on the daily deals. It stinks the way the "all carts are filled" message shows up whenever you INSTANTLY try to make a purchase. That should not be impossible..... any really useful rewards plan should allow for more winners and buyers than this program does.

Finally, I urge people to complain to AARP. I even suggest not renewing one's subscription unless AARP tries to fix the now-worthless rewards program it's allowing.

I'm also wondering if one can demand a refund on one's membership, to ask that as a form of protest?  

Any other ideas from other members??

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Rewards for Good is horrible

Message 58 of 73

You are NOT going to tell me there are some rewards that are bogus. I had 6 people on 6 different devices all watch the countdown to 0 to try to get a gift card and all 6 got the sold out message. How is this possible? How can it get sold out the second it hits on "zero". Of course the stupid magazines are always available. Only the gift cards are sold out before they even go on sale. I've written to them before about this but it's a waste of time. This is such a scam!!!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 73

I don't know where my post went so I'll just say I called and asked them to go back to the old way of bidding.  When we could do the fastest bidder got the item this was the fair way of bidding when everyone had a fair chance having a few points or a million.

They keep saying they will do something but have not done anything about it.  Maybe they are just saying this to please someone and then not do anything.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 73

I have called the Reward for Good phone number and they keep saying they will give my opinion about going back to the fastest bidder gets the item like it use to be.  That way was fair for everyone no matter if someone had a few points or a million points.  

Why do they say they are taking all of this under consideration and they do nothing about it.

I know I'm not the only one that feels this way and it's been so long when are they going to 

go back to the old way, the fair way?

They have done well listing what quizes open daily,weekly etc. so if they would change it back finally that would be great.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors