AARP members get more! Take a look at your member benefits.

Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: In September, Rewards for Good is becoming AARP Rewards

Message 61 of 91

Good morning, Marylin (@mi4090), thank you for taking the time to post in the AARP Online Community. To answer your question, "The new AARP Rewards uses points and cash, correct?" the answer is yes. The difference is, in the new program you will have the option to use points only. It's for this reason that points don't carry over. "Can you earn points with AARP Rewards?" You bet, the new program also will have its own system of earning points.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 91

I am looking forward to finding out how the new system will work.  I just hope it doesn’t turn into some of the rewards programs I have dismissed in the past like the Verizon program.  The discounts for purchases were for items that were inflated in price so much, that everything I researched, I could find cheaper on Amazon, using my Prime membership.  If it weren’t for the constant issues with earning points, especially in calculators, I would think just using an expiration period for existing points would have been a better way to go.

Will you still be using the same distribution company that never seems to be able to send tracking information via emai, so you know when a signature required item is coming?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 91

@J896552  I looked as well.  Didn't see anything other than the usual merchandise for sale that requires points along with money and the local deals.  Used a couple of them before but the people working in the restaurant/store weren't familiar with them.  Management ended up approving it but that was kind of embarrassing and I decided no more local deals.  (I don't mean the great discount at Carrabras/Bonefish/Outback...no problem using that but that's a card discount, not R4G.)

I speculated some time ago that nothing lasts forever.  Now I wish I'd used all the points rather than a lot of them......but at least I received good value, especially before the "new improved" bidding system  ruined the fun of being persistent on quick deals.  Never could compete on anything big but I imagine I got my share considering how many members there are.  

I hope the new program is something better than the merchandise/gift card market currently on the site.   Those items and cards can be purchased elsewhere, usually more frugally using sales, warehouse club deals and coupons.  The poster that speculated on sweepstakes is no doubt right and the auctions have gone up way beyond my original estimates.  Not sure I can get a $5 card with every point I have!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 91

Thank you but let those who need to know, a joining bonus of anything less than all of the points that I worked hard to collect will be too little... 

I wont be participating at all. I suspect I wont be alone either. If I had to guess, many of us will be joining other associations instead.

But thank you, for your reply. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 91

In your email "Important Program Announcement" today, you said:   "We're stocking up the Rewards for Good catalog with hundreds of new rewards and prizes so you'll have plenty to choose from before the program ends."

Since you have given very little notice to us and time is short, when are you going to show the hundreds of new rewards and prizes?  I looked at Auctions.  Nothing has changed there except some people are bidding higher points knowing that their points are going to be worthless shortly.

If you really are going to show new rewards and prizes, please make them points only.

I think AARP could have handled this program closure much better.  Why not close it out at the end of the year?  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 91

@sandy @AARPTeri @VoyagerVicki 

The new AARP Rewards uses points and cash, correct?  So, this means you have to use cash or points for Daily deals, Sweeps and Rewards Catalog?

If you have to use points or cash, why can't you carry your points over?

I may be interpreting this the wrong way, please explain.  Can you earn points with AARP Rewards?

Thanks so much for an explanation, and answers to my questions!

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 91

Hi @ks18192309, Yes, you can still donate your points as always:

This month’s direct link to donate points is https://rewards.aarp.org/#/department/product/aarppfcJune19 (You can also access the link for the current month at https://rewards.aarp.org and click on the “Donate Now” red button in the banner near the top of the page. If you don’t see the banner, the cap of points that can be donated for the month has been reached. So, better to do so near the beginning of the month.)

Once on the Donation page, you may donate 1,000 points (limit) by following these steps:

• Click the “Add to Shopping Cart” button.
  • Then click the “Proceed to Check Out” button.

Once checked out, the points will be deducted from your balance. You will receive a confirmation email detailing your points donation.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 91

$5 Target Gift Card auction currently at 225,682 points.  How sad.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 91

Are we able to donate our points still?  Or would that end up costing AARP too much?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 91

I think more notice should have been given to end this program.  I have been saving points to try to get something worthwhile (something other than a $5 gift card).  Well, all of a sudden, I have until sometime later this summer to use all of the points I have been accumulating daily and saving.  The date of sometime later this summer is vague.  Why can't they say an exact date?  More notice should have been given.

Kudos
Views