Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: High Bids in Auctions

Message 21 of 39

As an alternative, the same limits could be applied but just to new points aftyer the limit is applied.  If you have 800,000 point whe the limit goes into effect, you could still use your 800,000 points in an auction. Eventually, the people with the high points in their accounts would start using them for auctions until the points they can use for auctions are below the limits.  This could even be beneficial to those with a high number of points, because the people with more points will no longer be accumulating more for auctions.  go ahead and bid for something you like.  If you don't win you still have your points.  Eventually, there will be fewer people who can out bid you.  It will take much longer but the max bid amounts would come down to a reasonable level.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 39

By limiting the time you can use your points for auctions, it will force the bids to come down to a reasonable value.  I can understand how people who got in on the ground floor of the program would not like my proposal. You have continued to accrue more and more points so you can get something nice. However, something nice becomes more and more expensive, because everyone who got in before you is doing the same thing. At least, since I recognize that, I have scaled back on going after more and more points. Establish a time limit on points for auctions and the big ticket items would stabilize at a reasonable level to where someone who has been involved for a few years might have a chance.

I have scaled back on the sweepstakes as well, because there is so much competition and the values (a $5 gift card?) are just not worth the time to keep getting points to enter, beyond the point you get for logging in. If you keep pumping points into the sweepstakes, you will never accumulate enough to bid for anything decent, unless you feel spending a year or two to get enough points to get a $25 gift card at a restaurant most people wont go to, a good way to spend your time.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 39

Russell,

You have obviously put a lot of thought into your comment.
I disagree with you on the issue of limiting time values of points in any way.
I have spent countless hours over many years earning daily, weekly, monthly, and one-time points and using some of my accumulation along the way toward gift card discounts, daily deals, and even an auction or two. My balance has gone up and down from day to day. Most days, I spend a half-hour or so getting 150 points for taking the daily quizzes and putting in for Sweepstakes of interest. This morning, that's exactly what I did and the Sweepstakes I entered cost me 392 points just for a chance at winning those. For the day, I lost points for my time on Rewards for Good.
I don't have to do that. I could just keep my 150 points and ignore the rest so I can build up my balance faster. Even so, with bonus promotion codes in e-mails, along with weekly, monthly, annual, and one-time quizzes and exercises, I can come out a little bit ahead, which adds up over time. Over the years, with my spending all those hours nearly every day, along with spending toward things I wanted, I have accumulated over 800,000 points. With your suggestion, if I want something from one of the auctions, I can use only 271,053 of my 800,000 points, which I figured from my balance on 12-31-18 (752,784) minus my balance on 12-31-16 (481,731), even though I have put in all those hours over all those days, weeks, and months to accumulate my full 800,000+ points.
That's like telling somebody that he can't use money that he earned and saved over the years to spend as frivolously as he wants. Anything he put into the bank before 2 years ago doesn't count.
"I'm sorry, but you can't afford that car, even though your bank holds enough money for you to buy it." "I'm sorry, but you can't afford that vacation." "I'm sorry, but you can't afford that special date night with your wife."
Yes, it can seem frustrating to see auction totals going sky high. And, it might seem more fair to limit things somewhere, but by the very nature of auctions, the limit is only in the mind of those who have enough points (or other wherewithal) to follow their desires, no matter how ridiculous their willingness to spend and spend for those desires might seem to others.

If you don't have enough points to beat the others, then you really will have to wait until you have accumulated more points or until you find an item on auction that is low enough at the end that nobody wants it more than you do with your existing points or both. In the meantime, you can use some of your points along the way to enter the Rewards for Good Sweepstakes or to get discounts on Denny's gift cards or something else you like. If you keep on top of it, your point stash will still grow. Or, you can just ignore all the Sweepstakes, local discounts, daily deals, gift cards, and so on that want to take the points back and save up your points just for auctions.

Good luck.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 39

I have come to believe that anyone who did not get into R4G in the beginning, will never be able to garner enough points to win anything substantial in the auctions.  Why does AARP favor those lucky enough to get in before someone who was in the wrong place at the wrong time in order to find out about it?

I found my way here in the last year because I found out I can get Carnival gift cards to pay for cruises that will save me about 10% on my cruises.  I now have more points than I can ever use for cruises, because I can't afford the 90% to go on more cruises.  There is little else that I can benefit from. To use it elsewhere would be to spend 90% on something I don't want or need.  That got me to looking at the auctions, and I could see how ridiculous the bid sizes were for anything of real value.

I could wait and keep accumulatng points, but the people that were here before me and have 10x the number of points would stay here and do the same thing, meaning the points required for winning something substantial would be forever inflating beyond my reach.

R4G should really look into instituting an expiration date for points being used for auctions at some point in the future, allowing those with high balances to use their stash of points before they start to expire.  In the long run, it is the only way they can make the auctions more fair to all who participate.

For example, they could institue a two year expiration on points being used for auctions starting one year from when they decide to begin the change. Points could still be used for sweepstakes or purchasing other things, after the points are eliminated for auctions. Over time the number of points to win something nice would come down to a realistic value.  More people would keep using the site because they see a possibility of success this way.  As it is, the only people that try to run up their points are the people who already have a huge number of them, or people who do not realize they don't have as chance.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 39

I do not understand why 'auto-bidding' is allowed. Other LEGITIMATE auctions/sweepstakes do NOT allow such types of bid interference! AARP's system appears to be in favor of corruption, which makes me wonder who on staff (no matter how high up), is being treated a little extra nicely? When you bid an item it sometimes takes less than 10 seconds to be "outbid" by the same bidder! I'm positive these bidders are NOT coincidently online and are waiting for an outbid situation on what they're after. Since AARP is allowing these machine entries, I'm encouraging everyone to protest to ms jenkins and demand a clean up or out, of staff and sweeps/auctions!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 39

how long did it take you to earn over a million points?

Thanks.

Jim

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 39

@special4462 @rp15681857

Some auctions are available to all members, while other Auctions are available to members within a certain points balance. We do this to provide more members the opportunity to participate in auctions. You will only see auctions you are eligible for on the Current Auctions page. If you see an auction you are interested in, be sure to add it to "My Auctions." This will ensure it is available to you even if your points balance changes.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 39

The back-end company runs multiple auctions for different rewards programs.  I noticed that my auctions and my wifes were different one time and checked the auctions. There were different ones for various other programs that could not be accessed.  But for ones we have, I noticed my wifes acconut had lower bid auctions that did not show up on mine and i had no way to bid on those but she did.  Eventually things got "fixed" - but it is possible that her points went up , then we both saw same auctions again..  Think it may have some tuning on what auctions we see to get more points bid up.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 39

Hi Special,

There appears to be two different databases that the IT auction team uses.  I have screen shots from closed auctions where the winning bids for a $10 Walmart gift cards are 38K pts at a specific time and then another screen shot later in the day where the the above auction does not appear, however one $10 Walmart action closed at 64K at a slightly different time on the same day. Anyone who would like to see these screen shots with the date and time of my laptop, please let me know.

My assumption is that they change the database based on some kind of testing they are doing. However, it does seem sketchy.  The skeptics believe they are awarding prizes and somehow scamming the system.  With the start end of June of posting winner names and city,  this would be more difficult, however, they could be making up the names.  It used to be you could see the user id who won, but they eliminated that a while back.  They now have removed the numbers of bidders and total bids.  Based on my study, there were generally only a maximum 10-18 unique bidders on a power play.  Have the screen shots to show on this as well.

There are some issues for sure, but no one wants any "transparency".

Just take what you can use, and be happy that it is free.

Good Luck! 

Karen

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 39

@Brightpool wrote:

I still predict that the bidding will exceed value in nearly every case for the life of the RFG auctions.

@Brightpool  I agree.

And actually, I don't think I'd mind paying twice the Rewards Program points value for something I needed (and could not get elsewhere) but then there's practically nothing that I really, really need, too. Smiley Happy

Meanwhile, stacking your 10% off gift card via the Rewards program with store promotions makes for a useful economy. IMHO.

Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views